I left Britain to escape toxic press, Prince Harry says

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, najomtiensun said:

In the end he will miss his family and tire of this endless wokerism from a woman who seems unable to love her father in any human sense. The door will be open when he wants to come back....

I doubt that very much

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

The Crown Estate has today (18 September 2020) announced a net revenue profit of £345.0 million for the financial year 2019/20, representing growth of 0.4% against 2018/19 net revenue profit of £343.5 million. 

This is directly under the control of the UK Treasury to be disbursed as they will.

So actual cost of the Royal Family is nil but vastly in credit via Crown Estates and of course not to forget tourist revenue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why the US then Harry? Could it be for the money? You should have come to Thailand for a quiet life. The shackled press here wouldn't dare print anything bad about you for fear of the defamation laws. I am sure that you and Megs can afford to retire here.

2 hours ago, najomtiensun said:

In the end he will miss his family and tire of this endless wokerism from a woman who seems unable to love her father in any human sense. The door will be open when he wants to come back....

I'm not so sure the door will be open. Things like the Oprah interview will further disenfranchise him from his family and the uk public. 

A good move from Markle. Moving the power dynamic from him to her. He will become more reliant on her once he burned his bridges. He might just end up the first male "first lady".

Cant get more woke than that. What a cuck.

• Sad 1

Being part of this royal family is can't be easy...no more than rich ambassadors really. You life is not your own and you have strict rules to abide by. The press is always ready for...well, whatever. That said, if you decide to stay part of it then you have to put up with it and likewise if you don't want to stay with it then get out. But doing the latter should mean losing the titles etc. because that's what it means to get out. So Harry shouldn't want it both ways...make a choice and stick with it.

• Like 2

Harry is a phoney guy manipulated by a very aggressive and ambitious woman! If he thinks the press is toxic why not stand  up and use his status to clean up the press? His motivated wife is clamouring for press coverage and using his status to get it???????? Cry me a river Harry????????

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow... There’s some bitter sour miserable people on this thread already !!!

Can’t say I blame him - the UK Press is awful and has been accountable for destroying the lives of many, not just those in the public eye. 

it's a little dull over there imo which explains the huge preoccupation with the bar scene. The media there love to kick up the drama accordingly..

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

We all know what the British press could be like, and it was destroying my mental health, I was like this is toxic.

I call bs on wanting a more private life. If you really wanted the spot light off you, you would've never married a really hot Hollywood star. (I still think having a royal family and a PM is a good idea for any country and I still believe this was mostly Meghan's planning.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is a certain irony in suggesting that they "are all half Germans" when one considers that the German (Hanoverian) side of his family came to England quite a long time before the United States (a country itself almost entirely founded by immigration) even existed!

German nonetheless, and with a lot to answer for.

• Sad 1

Well I have to admit reading some of the comments on this, it probably reflects somewhat badly on the British on how they treat success.

I'm an American, so whatever the Brits want from monarchy is nothing to do with me.

But Meghan is a successful actress from modest roots, and somehow in popular British tabloid culture that turns her into a gold digger?

Well apply that logic to Melania Trump, and perhaps a millionThai bar girls!

Yet I don't seem to see the same bile thrown at them.

Obviously none of us know these people, same as we don't know any celebrity personality, but on the surface I like both of them.

They are open, a successful woman, who married a decorated vet, who just happened to be part of a fairly dysfunctional family, and they decided to break out and start a fresh.

Whats to be bitter about?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, partington said:

Bit of history for you:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/britains-king-george-v-changes-royal-surname

"On June 19, 1917, during the third year of World War I, Britain’s King George V orders the British royal family to dispense with the use of German titles and surnames, changing the surname of his own family, the decidedly Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, to Windsor.

[...]

With the outbreak of World War I in the summer of 1914, strong anti-German feeling within Britain caused sensitivity among the royal family about its German roots. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, also a grandson of Queen Victoria, was the king’s cousin; the queen herself was German. As a result, on June 19, 1917, the king decreed that the royal surname was thereby changed from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor."

But also old Phil the Greek, grandfather to the present lot of wasters, has rather Germanic origins, perhaps more immediately relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

"In 1947, Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II), heir presumptive to King George VI, married Philip Mountbatten (born Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark), a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, a branch of the House of Oldenburg. A few months before his marriage, Philip abandoned his princely titles and adopted the surname Mountbatten, which was that of his uncle and mentor, the Earl Mountbatten of Burma, and had itself been adopted by Lord Mountbatten's father (Philip's maternal grandfather), Prince Louis of Battenberg, in 1917. It is the literal translation of the German Battenberg, which refers to Battenberg, a small town in Hesse."

Wow. Hot news from 104 years ago.

23 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Hell, it's not any better in the US as far as the TV box goes. But after, he can starting enjoying real football and a more chill environment I'm sure. They are all half Germans aren't they? His wife probably can't stand it over there.

Harry's  Great great great great grandfather, Prince Albert, was German.  I don't think that qualifies as being half german.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pegman said:

Can't blame him. How Brits can side with the despicable nonsense in the tabloids over a royal war vet is beyond all comprehension. 

I'm totally with you on this one.

The guy clearly married for love, unlike many in his dysfunctional family.

Of course there will be tabloid fascination, and thats a mirror on society what drives sales! 

I wish them the best. If Kim Kardasian can become super rich for doing absolutely nothing, then go for it!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm totally with you on this one.

The guy clearly married for love, unlike many in his dysfunctional family.

Of course there will be tabloid fascination, and thats a mirror on society what drives sales! 

I wish them the best. If Kim Kardasian can become super rich for doing absolutely nothing, then go for it!

We are agreed on that. Also on gin I might add. 

• Haha 1