A Question

MarkT63

What is the best thing you ever bought.

And what is the one thing you wish you had bought?

I could say the engagement ring for my beautifu wiife  of 30 years but my motorbike is amazing!!!

Last January I sold a house in the UK and realesed GB 100K. If  had bought Bitcoin I would be sitting on abought GBP 500K profit - <deleted> !!!

Over to you.....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Why not buy a live sex toy for a couple of hours. You don't have to marry every woman you have sex with.....

A 'live' sex toy can land you in jail in Laos....  Besides, my sex-doll doesn't have a mobile phone and never uses Facebook.....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jesimps said:

A small electronic tuner which clips to the headstock of my guitar. Being completely tone deap, I wish it had been invented sixty years ago. 

How stupid can you get...me I mean....played for years tuning by ear....must have sounded awful.....then, like you, bought a tuner....doh!!!

Not wealthy.......but bought two Range Rover SVR's...5 liter, V8, twin super chargers..... one for me, one for the wife......and yes I have a small one.

Bought tax free and sold a year later for a ridiculous profit.......could not afford to buy these in the real world.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

My house would have to be the best thing I bought. It is not a particularly great house and I was in two minds on whether to buy it or not - but it has turned out to be far and away the best thing I ever bought. It has soared in value and will essentially allow me to retire in Thailand 10 years earlier than I had expected.

As for a smaller item, my MacBook Pro. Still going strong after 7 years and has given me zero problems (which I cannot say for every Windows computer I owned the previous 20+ years).

The best thing I ever bought was my first  condo in Reston, Virginia, where I was working as a very lowly-paid state worker and renting an apartment--which weren't cheap to rent in that area.  I borrowed the money for the down payment from my Dad.  I fixed the condo up, sold it at a profit, paid off Dad, and bought another. Did the same thing a few times.

Hit the jackpot (for me) with maybe my fifth Reston condo.  The rich people next door wanted to put two condos together so they bought mine and I made a $70,000 profit.  Not a lot of money, I know, for many but for me, making about $25,000 a year at the time and living in a very expensive part of the country, it was a godsend.  Suddenly I wasn't living paycheck to paycheck, hoping nothing expensive broke.  Had I kept renting rather than buying that first condo, I doubt I'd have ever gotten ahead.

As to what I wish I had bought, back in 2003 I bought a new VW Beetle and it came with an Apple Ipod as part of a promotion between VW and Apple.  At the time I didn't know much about what an Ipod was and didn't really see a need for it in my life so I sold it to one of my colleagues at work.  Pity I didn't say at the time, instead, hey what a great invention, let's buy some Apple stock.   As an aside, I am using a 2009 Ipod in my car to play music since the car didn't come with a CD player.  Still works perfectly.