ASQ Update -- Freedom Day (Pullman Bangkok)

Greetings from post-Quarantine!

My last days at the Pullman G were about the same as the other days -- variety may be the spice of life, but Heinz chili sauce is the spice of Quarantine!

Well to be fair there were a lot of different spices on offer, in addition to the ubiquitious Heinz chili sauce, which is actually pretty good on fries.  And it's not like nothing ever changed: by my last day there were seven of us in Pool Area Relaxation Hour, including the first woman and the first smoker (one person, not two).

On the last full day the kitchen sent me a cute message on the dinner bag -- final day! -- with an illustration of a cute lady cook.  Or maybe the nurse in a cook's outfit!  I would have rather had them send the cook/nurse herself, but this was Quarantine Hotel and not Fantasy Island.

As for potentially useful information: the second PCR test was fine and by that point your only real risk of a positive result is the miniscule risk of a false positive, but still I was nervous.  The negative result was more of a relief than I'd expected.

In fact overall I found the experience more stressful than I was admitting to myself.  I devised a pretty workable, if not at all productive, routine for killing the time, but by the last couple of days I noticed my teeth were clenched more often than not.  I wasn't feeling isolated, exactly -- I had at least one phone call every day -- but after a while the stuck-ness started to get to me.  I'm sure I could have powered through more of this, but I'm also sure it wouldn't have been good for me.

The last full day felt especially absurd: I already had the second negative PCR result, so why was I still in Martha Stewart Luxury Prison?  Because rules, I guess.  In honor of the gods of absurdity I spent the final day learning about Non-Fungible Tokens, aka the intersection of Gamestonk and Sotheby's.  Google Beeple for more.  Oh and I still had to check my temperature.  One never knows.

On the final evening I got a call from the front desk asking when I'd like to check out.  I chose 11am and they asked if I'd like breakfast as usual.  Yes.  And in the morning I was surprised by a Proper Hotel Breakfast -- same same benedict but on a fancy tray, with extra fruit and toast.  It was a nice gesture, sort of symbolically marking your transition from Plague Suspect to Almost Free Falang.

Checkout was pretty simple: wait for the staff to bring you down, wear your slippers, then put on your shoes and sign out, collecting your certificates on the way, then wait for your taxi.

Specific to the Pullman I should also note that laundry is charged at hotel rates.  Some people elsewhere have complained about that.  I didn't have any problem with it: the majority of the guests seemed bound for some version of "home" after ASQ anyway, and times are tight, I'm sure the laundry service isn't free for the hotel.  And it was hotel-quality service: took half a day, clean and folded and smelling fresh, none of that "interesting Thai water" smell I've encountered with laundry services.

Getting out into the world was a bit overwhelming but, obviously, a wonderful feeling.  My taxi driver got lost on Sukhumvit and had to turn around and then got lost again -- twice in two straight lines, even with help from my Google Maps!  And I didn't care in the least.  The Sheraton Grande was super accommodating and is in fact pretty Grande.  To the reader who asked: Junior Suite has bum gun.  And minibar! (Not much in it but I didn't want to get drunk on Freedom Day One anyway.)  The ThailandPlus app failed to recognize several QR codes in a row at Terminal 21.  I was able to set up a post-paid mobile phone account with nothing but my passport and my karma.

I made it through quarantine with my sanity intact and my health only slightly impacted, and you can too!  If I had to do it again the only thing I'd change for sure is that I'd try harder to pull myself together and do some yoga or whatever.  I definitely sat around too much, but that's on me.

My final verdict on the Pullman G: friendly staff; very good food and more than enough of it; amazing view; quite limited outdoor area; and -- significantly -- a very generous deposit policy, in case you care how much money you have at risk before you get on that airplane.  I paid 60K THB for the whole thing (plus laundry, YMMV) and I would most definitely call it Value For Money.

Whether this is right for you I can not answer, but do check other reviews and compare what people say about different hotels.  I also found YouTube pretty useful: one place, which I will not name, had some really great extras and I almost booked it, but then watched its very positive review and found it pretty depressing.  Glad I booked the G instead.  Consider what your needs are, and which things are going to bring you joy or misery when you live with them in an apparently eternal cycle, on average 23.5 hours a day, until they let you out.

I have no regrets and will definitely consider the Pullman G again if this system is still in place in the Fall.  Which, please dear Buddha and all available spirits, let it not be!

PS -- Buri Ram Guy from the yard, if you're reading this, hello from freedom! If I ever make it to Buri Ram I'll keep an eye out for ya.

35 minutes ago, FalangTingTong said:

Buri Ram Guy from the yard, if you're reading this, hello from freedom! If I ever make it to Buri Ram I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Think I was one of first to thankyou for your initial post. IMO excellent thread and detailed info. Personally does not apply to me, but excellent thread from you. Ta.

23 minutes ago, madmen said:

A lot cheaper and no hassle 

I guess it depends on what brings you here, and what your window of opportunity is.  For some people it's urgent (family, etc); for someone like me it's just what I wanted to do, and I accepted this price in order to be able to do it now instead of later.

Also I'm pretty skeptical of the "vaccine passport" idea -- I am absolutely pro-vaxx and will get any non-Chinese jab as soon as I'm allowed, but until the local population is vaccinated I don't think it really makes sense to let in vaccinated outsiders without quarantine. Or at least: according to the logic that has so far held sway in Thailand, it doesn't make sense.

10 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Not really seeing a need to rush back with so many things closed, unless they intend to do so for long-term stay.

I have been back in Thailand for 6 weeks now. It is as stunning as ever. Took my breakfast this morning on the balcony looking up at the Kathu hills around Loch Palm. Paradise. Travelled south last week around Trang, Phatthalung (Sri Prakpra hotel) and Krabi and last stop was a stunning hotel on Ao Nang beach. Paradise again so ever so many positive reasons to get back to Thailand if above is for you. Not touched up north yet

10 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Not really seeing a need to rush back with so many things closed, unless they intend to do so

I have been back in Thailand for 6 weeks now. It is as stunning as ever. Took my breakfast this morning on the balcony looking up at the Kathu hills around Loch Palm. Paradise. Travelled south last week around Trang, Phatthalung (Sri Prakpra hotel) and Krabi and last stop was a stunning hotel on Ao Nang beach. Paradise again so ever so many positive reasons to get back to Thailand if above is for you. Meeting a group of friends in Patong this evening so plenty of options and places open also.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What's the guesstimate on that. Vaccine passport. Your reading too many sci-fi

Nonsense it will be the new normal world wide.  Didn't think I had to spell it out however "if you must go back URGENTLY then fork out the $$$$ and go right now" easy peazy 

The IATA travel pass apps will be available for roll out "within weeks"

Though quarantine could be safely reduced Thailand has a very robust system appears to be working to keep covid-19 arrivals via flights down. Doubt entry requirements will change until next high season at a minimum. At least you can come to Thailand if you want many countries are effectively closed to visitors.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56165563

1 hour ago, Rhacsyn said:

I have been back in Thailand for 6 weeks now. It is as stunning as ever. Took my breakfast this morning on the balcony looking up at the Kathu hills around Loch Palm. Paradise. Travelled south last week around Trang, Phatthalung (Sri Prakpra hotel) and Krabi and last stop was a stunning hotel on Ao Nang beach. Paradise again so ever so many positive reasons to get back to Thailand if above is for you. Not touched up north yet

I have been back in Thailand for 6 weeks now. It is as stunning as ever. Took my breakfast this morning on the balcony looking up at the Kathu hills around Loch Palm. Paradise. Travelled south last week around Trang, Phatthalung (Sri Prakpra hotel) and Krabi and last stop was a stunning hotel on Ao Nang beach. Paradise again so ever so many positive reasons to get back to Thailand if above is for you. Meeting a group of friends in Patong this evening so plenty of options and places open also.

Absolutely agree with you. Obviously it is a terrible time for the operators of hotels, resorts etc. but for the consumer there has never been a better time for travelling around Thailand.

12 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

collecting your certificates on the way,

I just finished my stay as well but I realized after arriving to my new place that the hotel certificate only specified 1 PCR test, not 2. Then the hospital certificate says 2, but also says they're attached and they aren't. 

I'm curious if your certificate says the same, or you got the same ones?

I appreciate the great ASQ reports from FTT.  Meanwhile I am almost done and I got my 2nd Negative Covid Test.  The moral of the story is "don't go cheap" on your ASQ hotel booking.  Pullman G costs more than 40K and it appears it is well worth the money. I paid 42K and I can't wait to escape from this place.  My Subway Sandwich just arrived because I can't eat the cold, dry and bad food I have had to endure for the last 12 days anymore.  Since I have stopped eating ASQ food my stomach has been feeling much better.  I recently had some fish they served in a plastic container and it was dry and very hard to chew.  Everyone can guess what happened next.  

If I had to do it again I would definitely spend at least 60K on a ASQ hotel.  Also, in this ASQ hotel no breakfast on the day you checkout.  This might be beneficial to me.  Lastly on a 15 day stay they cleaned the room one time.  For many reasons I won't name this hotel but it is in the area of Soi 5.  

14 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

Greetings from post-Quarantine!

My last days at the Pullman G were about the same as the other days -- variety may be the spice of life, but Heinz chili sauce is the spice of Quarantine!

Well to be fair there were a lot of different spices on offer, in addition to the ubiquitious Heinz chili sauce, which is actually pretty good on fries.  And it's not like nothing ever changed: by my last day there were seven of us in Pool Area Relaxation Hour, including the first woman and the first smoker (one person, not two).

On the last full day the kitchen sent me a cute message on the dinner bag -- final day! -- with an illustration of a cute lady cook.  Or maybe the nurse in a cook's outfit!  I would have rather had them send the cook/nurse herself, but this was Quarantine Hotel and not Fantasy Island.

As for potentially useful information: the second PCR test was fine and by that point your only real risk of a positive result is the miniscule risk of a false positive, but still I was nervous.  The negative result was more of a relief than I'd expected.

In fact overall I found the experience more stressful than I was admitting to myself.  I devised a pretty workable, if not at all productive, routine for killing the time, but by the last couple of days I noticed my teeth were clenched more often than not.  I wasn't feeling isolated, exactly -- I had at least one phone call every day -- but after a while the stuck-ness started to get to me.  I'm sure I could have powered through more of this, but I'm also sure it wouldn't have been good for me.

The last full day felt especially absurd: I already had the second negative PCR result, so why was I still in Martha Stewart Luxury Prison?  Because rules, I guess.  In honor of the gods of absurdity I spent the final day learning about Non-Fungible Tokens, aka the intersection of Gamestonk and Sotheby's.  Google Beeple for more.  Oh and I still had to check my temperature.  One never knows.

On the final evening I got a call from the front desk asking when I'd like to check out.  I chose 11am and they asked if I'd like breakfast as usual.  Yes.  And in the morning I was surprised by a Proper Hotel Breakfast -- same same benedict but on a fancy tray, with extra fruit and toast.  It was a nice gesture, sort of symbolically marking your transition from Plague Suspect to Almost Free Falang.

Checkout was pretty simple: wait for the staff to bring you down, wear your slippers, then put on your shoes and sign out, collecting your certificates on the way, then wait for your taxi.

Specific to the Pullman I should also note that laundry is charged at hotel rates.  Some people elsewhere have complained about that.  I didn't have any problem with it: the majority of the guests seemed bound for some version of "home" after ASQ anyway, and times are tight, I'm sure the laundry service isn't free for the hotel.  And it was hotel-quality service: took half a day, clean and folded and smelling fresh, none of that "interesting Thai water" smell I've encountered with laundry services.

Getting out into the world was a bit overwhelming but, obviously, a wonderful feeling.  My taxi driver got lost on Sukhumvit and had to turn around and then got lost again -- twice in two straight lines, even with help from my Google Maps!  And I didn't care in the least.  The Sheraton Grande was super accommodating and is in fact pretty Grande.  To the reader who asked: Junior Suite has bum gun.  And minibar! (Not much in it but I didn't want to get drunk on Freedom Day One anyway.)  The ThailandPlus app failed to recognize several QR codes in a row at Terminal 21.  I was able to set up a post-paid mobile phone account with nothing but my passport and my karma.

I made it through quarantine with my sanity intact and my health only slightly impacted, and you can too!  If I had to do it again the only thing I'd change for sure is that I'd try harder to pull myself together and do some yoga or whatever.  I definitely sat around too much, but that's on me.

My final verdict on the Pullman G: friendly staff; very good food and more than enough of it; amazing view; quite limited outdoor area; and -- significantly -- a very generous deposit policy, in case you care how much money you have at risk before you get on that airplane.  I paid 60K THB for the whole thing (plus laundry, YMMV) and I would most definitely call it Value For Money.

Whether this is right for you I can not answer, but do check other reviews and compare what people say about different hotels.  I also found YouTube pretty useful: one place, which I will not name, had some really great extras and I almost booked it, but then watched its very positive review and found it pretty depressing.  Glad I booked the G instead.  Consider what your needs are, and which things are going to bring you joy or misery when you live with them in an apparently eternal cycle, on average 23.5 hours a day, until they let you out.

I have no regrets and will definitely consider the Pullman G again if this system is still in place in the Fall.  Which, please dear Buddha and all available spirits, let it not be!

PS -- Buri Ram Guy from the yard, if you're reading this, hello from freedom! If I ever make it to Buri Ram I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Excellent positive informative report. Well done.

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Nonsense it will be the new normal world wide.  Didn't think I had to spell it out however "if you must go back URGENTLY then fork out the $$$$ and go right now" easy peazy 

Already lots of reports in the local and international media re vaccine certificates/passports now in place in many countries.

Plus many reports that the numbers of folks with new positives is going down quickly in countries where mass numbers of citizens have been vaccinated.

Thailand desperately wants large numbers of tourists to come in and the tourism industry is already pushing hard for quarantine to be cancelled for folks who have vaccination certificates.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Already lots of reports in the local and international media re vaccine certificates/passports now in place in many countries.

Name them.

More importantly which countries are accepting them.

Don't quote airlines or news reports.

Hopefully vaccinated people will  rewarded with quarantine waiver. Sooner the better.

https://news.yahoo.com/thailand-says-nears-vaccine-passport-170034783.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-23/thailand-mulls-waiving-quarantine-rule-for-vaccinated-tourists

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2021/02/23/thailand-mulls-waiving-quarantine-for-vaccinated-tourists

8 hours ago, madmen said:

Qantas already started 

Simple Flying: Qantas To Roll Out Health Passports Next Week.
https://simpleflying.com/qantas-health-passports-next-week/

Optional at this point.  In needs governments to mandate it IMO, and none have yet done so, as far as I know.  The hopeful wittering of the TAT and the Tourist minister linked above count for nothing at this point.

Archived