Poll: Let them eat blood! Are you an (intentional) blood eater in Thailand?

Jingthing

Blood Eating in Thailand  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A number of Thai dishes have blood in them.

We've all seen the blood cakes in soups.

Then there are boat noodles with the fresh pork blood.

Also some of the classic meat salads.

I was raised to find eating blood disgusting. Offal too, except for liver. I have no problem with that conditioning. A western exception might be a rare steak with some blood, but nothing extreme.

My first experience with explicit blood food was blood sausages in Portugal in soup. I tasted them, they weren't horrible, but after that I would just leave them in my soup. 

In Thailand I avoid boat noodles and if I do get a noodle soup with blood cakes I try to fish them out.

I don't want to even give blood a chance. 

So what are your feelings about eating blood in Thai or other kinds of food in Thailand?

On the poll, please pick the choice that is closest to how you feel.

Blood is a respected ingredient around the world, but less so in the U.S. A new book aims to change that. - The Washington Post

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

In my younger days I would eat "black pudding", not actually knowing what it was(contained). When I found out, I never ate it again. I was always taught if you see blood its not cooked.

As for Thai dishes, absolutely not, no way would I knowingly eat blood or a variation of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Blood makes my pork noodle soup taste much better, also the blood cakes in my duck noodle soup are OK, not much taste but a filler and plenty of iron so I always eat them

Unless you are anemic or a menstruating female, iron supplementation is potentially harmful to adult males...has to do with blood clotting and heart attack and stroke risk

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe you should do another poll, do you Stick to Falang food? and %'s, many Falang don't even like Thai food

Unfortunately I did try to edit this poll to clearly include all food, not only Thai, but ran out of editing time.

So yes I do mean all food.

Regrets for the initial error.

Use of blood in food dates back to the time when meat was for the wealthy and all that the poor could afford were the undesirable cuts, and leftovers.  In recent times, food processors have tried to rebrand plasma and blood as something acceptable- remember the hamburger chain that had the PR problem when it was exposed as using "pink slurry"?  I find it a disgusting filler.

There is very good reason why we should avoid blood products in the food- it is called disease, especially in cultures/countries where food hygiene is not a priority.  Thankfully, there are muslims in Thailand and if I am worried about such unpleasant practices in an unknown city, I will  look for halal food. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

ill eat a rare steak or even a blue steak if its good quality meat.

but blood for the sake of it, nah!

Steak is a common way for westerners to eat blood. Referring to the link in the OP Americans in particular are usually conditioned against eating blood and offal. Personally I think medium rare is best but if it arrives in a pool of blood I find that disgusting. 

As far as the reasons people have for being vegetarian, there are a number that are common and make some sense. I have yet to meet a vegetarian that says the main reason is to avoid eating blood.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

Thinking the red juice in a rare steak is blood is a fallacy believed by lots of people. It's not blood.

"Even the rarest and reddest of steaks is actually bloodless. Instead, what you’re looking at is a combination of water, which makes up about 75 per cent of meat, and a protein found in muscle tissue called myoglobin. If that name sounds familiar, it’s probably because it sounds a bit like hemoglobin, the protein that transports oxygen in blood. Yes, there’s that word again, but myoglobin isn’t blood (honest!) – instead, its job is to transport oxygen through muscle.

Myoglobin looks like blood on your plate because, like hemoglobin, the iron in myoglobin turns red when it is exposed to oxygen."

That specific quote is from https://steakschool.com/learn/red-liquid-steak-plate-not-blood/

If you google it many other sources of the same info will come up.

And I'm one of the "Won't eat blood" group but love a good steak that's medium rare.

Very interesting. Thanks for that. But that red pool under a very rare steak does look like blood so still disgusting.

• Haha 1

I don't go out of my way to eat blood or get a craving for it, but if it's there in front of me as part of a meal I love it.

My favourite is the blood soup or 'Leu' that has crispy garlic and herbs in it too. It's enjoyable to eat that with some local guys at a country bar around my village while having a few drinks.

I also eat the blood cakes in noodles or on the side of Kaw Man Gai, but I tend to chop it up and mix it with the rice as it does not have much taste on its own.

Of course, being from the UK I do love a few slices of black pudding with my fried breakfast too...mmm.

One of my favourite Thai foods is raw buffalo laab. I do purposely buy that from the market once a week.  

I enjoy trying different foods as well as the blood things. For example I love the soup with the boiled chicken feet in it, the live jumping shrimps (gung den) and also fried crickets with lime leaves are delicious. 

Gets me a bit when some farang seem snobby with food here and make comments like...'yuck we never eat chicken feet or intestines in the UK'. Fact is they do, and worse...it's just all mashed up into slop and put in processed sausages or chicken nuggets etc. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thanks 1

I eat Black Pud when the opportunity arises and blood cake in noodles.

To me, black pud is mandatory when I eat a 'Full English' breakfast in Pattaya. The more the merrier IMHO. In the UK, if there was a dart match in the pub/club (UK North East), then the "refreshments" for the players & supporters always included cold chunks of black pud/saveloy/tripe etc.

Like a bit of black pudding, and happily eat hot German 'Blutwurst' either with Sauerkraut or  mash'n'peas. So in principle no probs.

But I can't see me eating something that's had fresh blood poured into it like a sauce or whatever ... I'd be too worried about hygiene/infection.

I don't know whether that's reasonable or not, but I wouldn't eat Hackepeter in Thailand either. (Raw seasoned minced pork with onions - goes great on bread.)

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't go out of my way to eat blood or get a craving for it, but if it's there in front of me as part of a meal I love it.

My favourite is the blood soup or 'Leu' that has crispy garlic and herbs in it too. It's enjoyable to eat that with some local guys at a country bar around my village while having a few drinks.

I also eat the blood cakes in noodles or on the side of Kaw Man Gai, but I tend to chop it up and mix it with the rice as it does not have much taste on its own.

Of course, being from the UK I do love a few slices of black pudding with my fried breakfast too...mmm.

One of my favourite Thai foods is raw buffalo laab. I do purposely buy that from the market once a week.  

I enjoy trying different foods as well as the blood things. For example I love the soup with the boiled chicken feet in it, the live jumping shrimps (gung den) and also fried crickets with lime leaves are delicious. 

Gets me a bit when some farang seem snobby with food here and make comments like...'yuck we never eat chicken feet or intestines in the UK'. Fact is they do, and worse...it's just all mashed up into slop and put in processed sausages or chicken nuggets etc. 

I just posted I wouldn't eat raw mince in Thailand, then saw your post - I'll keep an eye out for 'raw buffalo laab' and at least give it a try 555 ...

• Like 1