Poll: Let them eat blood! Are you an (intentional) blood eater in Thailand?

Jingthing

Blood Eating in Thailand  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Out of sight out of mind. I'm thinking mostly of deli style chopped chicken liver.

Liver that's flash fried on the outside and left rare and creamy inside is great - beef or calf.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BusyB said:

Yeah, you can buy it in plastic skin, preserved. But I mean the raw stuff bought direct at the butcher's which is a real treat. 

Sounds great!  In Germany I did buy it at the butcher shop but they packed into plastic skin.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Liver that's flash fried on the outside and left rare and creamy inside is great - beef or calf.

I've had it but not in ages and it's not something I would seek out. I associate it with parental coertion as its supposed to be good for you.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Sure, you do not get the real deal there.  Like leberwurst/liver sausage.

I like good deli chopped chicken liver but not something that's sold in Pattaya and don't like it enough to figure out how to make it.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I love a bit of black pudding & enjoy larb, along with kidneys & liver.

Not so keen on the clotted blood in the soups here

Laab is great! One of my Thai favorites - do it often myself ... I find Lobo the best brands for Thai bases ... ?

Edited by BusyB
Changed Raab to Laab ... Raab is definitely not one of my favorites ;D

16 hours ago, upu2 said:

I do like black pudding which contains pigs blood so I would have to say it depends what form the blood takes.

Like your good-self, I also like black pudding, especially for breakfast. For reference the blood is one of the pudding ingredients (wikipedia):-

image.jpeg.146c0276d7b7ba237881364ac83be0b5.jpeg

Black pudding can be grilled, fried, baked or boiled in its skin. It can also be eaten cold, as it is cooked in production.
Main ingredients: Pork blood, fat, oats or barley

I certainly never ate the Thai raw pigs blood soup - the Thai family members always ended up with "Bangkok Belly":-

9 Best Lao food experiences you have to try - Backstreet Academy

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Steak is a common way for westerners to eat blood. Referring to the link in the OP Americans in particular are usually conditioned against eating blood and offal. Personally I think medium rare is best but if it arrives in a pool of blood I find that disgusting. 

As far as the reasons people have for being vegetarian, there are a number that are common and make some sense. I have yet to meet a vegetarian that says the main reason is to avoid eating blood.

There is absolutely no blood in a rare steak.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/stop-calling-juicy-steak-bloody

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Like your good-self, I also like black pudding, especially for breakfast. For reference the blood is one of the pudding ingredients (wikipedia):-

image.jpeg.146c0276d7b7ba237881364ac83be0b5.jpeg

Black pudding can be grilled, fried, baked or boiled in its skin. It can also be eaten cold, as it is cooked in production.
Main ingredients: Pork blood, fat, oats or barley

I certainly never ate the Thai raw pigs blood soup - the Thai family members always ended up with "Bangkok Belly":-

9 Best Lao food experiences you have to try - Backstreet Academy

For breakfast black pudding is wonderful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tonray said:

Unless you are anemic or a menstruating female, iron supplementation is potentially harmful to adult males...has to do with blood clotting and heart attack and stroke risk

Probably true.

I have read that men who donate blood live longer.  Because they're getting rid of iron.

Ever see rust?  Oxygen + iron.

That being said, I don't eat more than 8 ounces of red blood meat every month.

I don't eat the blood dishes in Thailand very often.  Your comment only makes me want to eat it less often.  Maybe 2 or 3 times a year, max. ✔️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RamenRaven said:

It's perfectly normal food. Many Europeans eat blood sausages and bloody foods.

Rich in iron and vitamins. Prevents anemia and makes you strong.

Eat it with insects for additional protein!

It's normal or not based on your culture. As I said before, the food culture of the USA is very much not big on blood and offal.