Saudi de facto ruler approved operation that led to Khashoggi's death - U.S

rooster59

Saudi de facto ruler approved operation that led to Khashoggi's death - U.S

By Jonathan Landay, Phil Stewart and Arshad Mohammed

2021-02-26T190008Z_1_LYNXMPEH1P1EZ_RTROPTP_4_USA-SAUDI-KHASHOGGI.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman speaks during the Future Investment Initiative Forum in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia October 24, 2018. Bandar Algaloud/Courtesy of Saudi Royal Court/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler approved an operation to capture or kill murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, according to U.S. intelligence released on Friday as the United States sanctioned some of those involved but spared the crown prince himself in an effort to preserve relations with the kingdom.

Khashoggi, a U.S. resident who wrote opinion columns for the Washington Post critical of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's policies, was killed and dismembered by a team of operatives linked to the prince in the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul.

The Saudi government, which has denied any involvement by the crown prince, issued a statement rejecting the U.S. report's findings and repeating its previous statements that Khashoggi's killing was a heinous crime by a rogue group.

U.S. President Joe Biden appeared to be trying to make clear that killings of political opponents were not acceptable to the United States while preserving ties to the crown prince, who may rule one of the world's top oil exporters for decades and be an important ally against common foe Iran.

Among the punitive steps the United States took on Friday, it imposed a visa ban on some Saudis believed involved in the Khashoggi killing and placed sanctions on others, including a former deputy intelligence chief, that would freeze their U.S. assets and generally bar Americans from dealing with them.

U.S. officials also said they were considering cancelling arms sales to Saudi Arabia that pose human rights concerns and limiting future sales to "defensive" weapons, as it reassesses it relationship with the kingdom and its role in the Yemen war.

"We assess that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman approved an operation in Istanbul, Turkey to capture or kill Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi," the U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence said in the report.

To see the full document, click here https://www.odni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Assessment-Saudi-Gov-Role-in-JK-Death-20210226.pdf.

The intelligence agency based its assessment on the crown prince's control of decision-making, the direct involvement of one of his key advisers and his own protective detail, and his "support for using violent measures to silence dissidents abroad, including Khashoggi," it added.

"Since 2017, the Crown Prince has had absolute control of the Kingdom's security and intelligence organizations, making it highly unlikely that Saudi officials would have carried out an operation of this nature without (his) authorization," the report said.

In declassifying the report, Biden reversed his predecessor Donald Trump's refusal to release it in defiance of a 2019 law, reflecting a new U.S. willingness to challenge the kingdom on issues from human rights to Yemen.

However, Biden is treading a fine line to preserve ties with the kingdom as he seeks to revive the 2015 nuclear deal with its regional rival Iran and to address other challenges including fighting Islamist extremism and advancing Arab-Israeli ties.

'KHASHOGGI BAN'

In announcing the decision to bar entry by 76 Saudis under a new policy called the "Khashoggi Ban," the State Department said it would not tolerate those who threaten or assault activists, dissidents and journalists on behalf of foreign governments.

The Treasury Department imposed sanctions on Ahmed Hassan Mohammed al-Asiri, Saudi Arabia's former Deputy Head of General Intelligence Presidency, and Saudi Arabia’s Rapid Intervention Force (RIF) in connection with Khashoggi's murder.

The Treasury accused Asiri of being the ringleader of the Khashoggi operation and said several members of the hit squad sent to intercept the journalist were part of the RIF, a subset of the Saudi Royal Guard which answers only to the crown prince.

The U.S. intelligence report judged that members of the force would not have participated in the operation without approval from the crown prince.

Previewing the announcements, U.S. officials had said the sanctions and visa bans would not target the crown prince.

"The aim is a recalibration (in ties) - not a rupture," a senior Biden administration official said on condition of anonymity, saying approach aims to create a new starting point for ties with the kingdom without breaking a core relationship.

Chas Freeman, a former U.S. ambassador to Riyadh, said that despite the damning report, the Biden administration will have to deal deftly with the crown prince because "there is no way around him" as the kingdom's "chief executive officer."

"In a political context, obviously, Mohammed bin Salman is thoroughly vilified and quite radioactive in American politics," he said. "But you have to ask yourself what the consequences of failing to deal with the effective manager of the kingdom are."

Since assuming his post in 2017, the crown prince – known by some in the West as MbS – "has had absolute control of the Kingdom’s security and intelligence organizations," the report said, making it "highly unlikely" that the operation against Khashoggi would have taken place without his authorization.

Khashoggi, 59, was a Saudi journalist living in self-imposed exile in Virginia who wrote opinion pieces for the Washington Post critical of the policies of the crown prince – known to some in the West as MbS.

He was lured on Oct. 2, 2018, to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul with a promise of a document that he needed to marry his Turkish fiancee. Operatives linked to MbS killed him there and dismembered his body. His remains have not been found.

Riyadh initially issued conflicting stories about his disappearance, but eventually admitted that Khashoggi was killed in what it called a "rogue" extradition operation gone wrong.

Twenty-one men were arrested in the killing and five senior officials, including Asiri and senior MbS aide Saud al-Qahtani, were fired.

The report noted some of those involved were from the Saudi Center for Studies and Media Affairs, which was then led by Qahtani, "who claimed publicly in mid-2018 that he did not make decisions without the Crown Prince's approval."

In January 2019, 11 people were put on trial behind closed doors. Five were given death sentences, which were commuted to 20 years in prison after they were forgiven by Khashoggi’s family, while three others were given jail terms.

Asiri was acquitted "due to insufficient evidence," the prosecution said, while Qahtani was investigated but not charged.

(Additonal reporting by Doina Chiacu, Steve Holland, Mark Hosenball, Daphne Psaledakis and Patricia Zengerle; Writing by Arshad Mohammed; Editing by Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-27

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler approved an operation to capture or kill murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, according to U.S. intelligence released on Friday as the United States sanctioned some of those involved but spared the crown prince himself in an effort to preserve relations with the kingdom.

Isn’t that sweet?! ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I hope Trump will be investigated why he denied that report and helped MBS. What kind of deal did he make with MBS?

Or does anybody think what Trump did was in the interest of the USA? Or does anybody think Trump did that for free?

Maybe he (or his son-in-law) got something out of it, but I would rather assume this was just a less refined version of how Biden's administration is dealing with things. Bottom line is that the aim is for relations with Saudi Arabia to be preserved.

MbS, by the way, is still Saudi Arabia's Minister of Defense. I think he held talks with his American counterpart earlier this month.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

U.S. officials also said they were considering cancelling arms sales to Saudi Arabia that pose human rights concerns and limiting future sales to "defensive" weapons, as it reassesses it relationship with the kingdom and its role in the Yemen war.

I only wish I could believe that will happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I only wish I could believe that will happen. 

The Obama administration already took some steps in that direction. There's still a whole lot that can be sold to the KSA even with the suggested restrictions in place. Anyway, it wouldn't be too hard for them to source arms from other sources, if it comes to that.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Morch said:

The Obama administration already took some steps in that direction. There's still a whole lot that can be sold to the KSA even with the suggested restrictions in place. Anyway, it wouldn't be too hard for them to source arms from other sources, if it comes to that.

And yet the arms sales and slaughter in Yemen continued.

Whether the Saudis can buy arms elsewhere or not isn't the point.

If the regime is acting in a manner you consider wrong then don't sell them arms.

Not that I believe the arms sales will stop.

• Like 1

There goes the credibility of the USA even more. I dislike China they are bad but the US certainly is no angel placing money and influence before justice. Sickening these kind of things knowing of a murder but not bringing the information out or doing anything with it.

The times that I could just believe what the US said and did as usually good are long gone. If the US keeps doing stuff like this they will be at the same level as China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The previous occupant of the White House would never have let this story loose. In fact he stopped even a redacted version of the details being published.

His son had a great relationship with the crown prince. So no chance in hell that the news would have been released. Still the previous governments are not without blame either. Its a dictatorship and still loads of arms are being sold.

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And yet the arms sales and slaughter in Yemen continued.

Whether the Saudis can buy arms elsewhere or not isn't the point.

If the regime is acting in a manner you consider wrong then don't sell them arms.

Not that I believe the arms sales will stop.

I think it's easier taking a moral stand, when one is not burdened by the responsibilities that come with leading a nation. In a simpler, and maybe perfect world, this would float. In our world, things are usually more complicated.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

There goes the credibility of the USA even more. I dislike China they are bad but the US certainly is no angel placing money and influence before justice. Sickening these kind of things knowing of a murder but not bringing the information out or doing anything with it.

The times that I could just believe what the US said and did as usually good are long gone. If the US keeps doing stuff like this they will be at the same level as China.

The US will have to do way more than that to even dream about reaching China's level. I don't think any nation (save Turkey, perhaps, but the motivation is different) actually cut relations with Saudi Arabia or took actions against MbS, as a result of the murder.

24 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think it's easier taking a moral stand, when one is not burdened by the responsibilities that come with leading a nation. In a simpler, and maybe perfect world, this would float. In our world, things are usually more complicated.

That’s why I said I don’t believe any action on halting arms deals is going to happen. 

After all profits before people is the way of the arms trade..

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s why I said I don’t believe any action on halting arms deals is going to happen. 

I don't deny there is lots of suffering in Yemen but it's not all a one way street. Over the last few years there have been MANY missiles launched from Yemen into Riyadh. Fortunately, these have all been intercepted by the American provided Patriot system. It is scary as heck when they intercept and blow up. I know because I have been sat underneath several of them.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong but very little is ever reported on Yemen attacking Saudi 

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I don't deny there is lots of suffering in Yemen but it's not all a one way street. Over the last few years there have been MANY missiles launched from Yemen into Riyadh. Fortunately, these have all been intercepted by the American provided Patriot system. It is scary as heck when they intercept and blow up. I know because I have been sat underneath several of them.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong but very little is ever reported on Yemen attacking Saudi 

Not defending anyone launching missiles, both sides have blood on their hands. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I think the supply of some weapon systems and armaments relevant to the Saudi war effort would be withheld or even denied. Other stuff that was tentatively agreed upon will be reviewed. But there will be no total arms embargo on KSA.

This isn't only about profits, though. Arms deals and supply are one of the major ways to win influence in world relations. Then there are jobs to be kept etc.

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think the supply of some weapon systems and armaments relevant to the Saudi war effort would be withheld or even denied. Other stuff that was tentatively agreed upon will be reviewed. But there will be no total arms embargo on KSA.

This isn't only about profits, though. Arms deals and supply are one of the major ways to win influence in world relations. Then there are jobs to be kept etc.

Jobs being kept relies on profit. 

We clearly do not agree on the arms trade between the USA and KSA and I am fully aware that they will continue. 

Unfortunately. 

Edited by Bluespunk

53 minutes ago, Morch said:

Sure its hard to lead a nation but then don't pretend to have the moral high ground. Stuff like this makes me think of the US as just an other hypocrite. Then just be honest and say sorry we don't care about human rights and that stuff.. only when our enemies do it we will paint them as evil. 

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Jobs being kept relies on profit. 

We clearly do not agree on the arms trade between the USA and KSA and I am fully aware that they will continue. 

Unfortunately. 

Jobs kept, in the instance I meant, is more to do with domestic politics. Maybe a sort of 'profit' too.

I do not disagree that it's morally questionable. I just accept that we live in an imperfect world. I'll take an imperfect President and administration over obviously worse ones. Same goes when comparing countries' conduct.

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure its hard to lead a nation but then don't pretend to have the moral high ground. Stuff like this makes me think of the US as just an other hypocrite. Then just be honest and say sorry we don't care about human rights and that stuff.. only when our enemies do it we will paint them as evil. 

I get that. But guess that's also a matter of how much one buys into the high-horse BS, or how much value is placed on such things. Given that almost all countries and governments engage in this sort of thing (meaning both questionable actions and moralizing nonsense), guess the deciding factor is a matter of degree, or maybe the gap between action and words.

Most of us (I think) are more often exposed to Western media, English language renditions of statements and so on. We miss out on a whole lot of the same (and then-some) issued by foreign leaders on a daily basis. For easy reference, Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

Jobs kept, in the instance I meant, is more to do with domestic politics. Maybe a sort of 'profit' too.

I do not disagree that it's morally questionable. I just accept that we live in an imperfect world. I'll take an imperfect President and administration over obviously worse ones. Same goes when comparing countries' conduct.

Oh I accept that I cannot change realpolitik but I will keep pointing out the wrongness of it all. 

Edited by Bluespunk

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

I get that. But guess that's also a matter of how much one buys into the high-horse BS, or how much value is placed on such things. Given that almost all countries and governments engage in this sort of thing (meaning both questionable actions and moralizing nonsense), guess the deciding factor is a matter of degree, or maybe the gap between action and words.

Most of us (I think) are more often exposed to Western media, English language renditions of statements and so on. We miss out on a whole lot of the same (and then-some) issued by foreign leaders on a daily basis. For easy reference, Thailand.

Thailand ranks really low on my trust so I don't really count them. I also see China and Russia as worse. However the US claims to be leader of the free world. How can you if you claim such a title stand by idly if someone orders a murder and gets away with it. 

Then we just have accept that the US is just an other power with maybe a bit more morality but certainly not an entity you want to trust. This just means they accept murder as long as its done by an important ally. Even if that ally is really bad. Its like China supporting the coup in Myanmar. They do it in the open and it damages them. But China needs them. The US is basically doing the same stuff accepting crimes of allies no matter how bad as long as they are allies.

Don't misunderstand me I still think the US is the best of the worst. But my trust in them has steadily been declining since i was young. Such a big US supporter before supporting the gulf war ect. Now after all they have done I don't see them the same anymore.

I think i was young and naïve before. I had hoped we would be in a better world now one with higher values. 

• Like 1

Money No1 - now where we heard that before...? Everything else is just down the pecking order in every country worldwide, USA wastes the peoples money on coming to a conclusion that everyman and his dog knew before the investigation/enquiry started - No one is gonna upset SA same as WHO is not gonna rock any Junks with China ov C-19 (came to china in imported fish? err yeah must be right then)