Two dead at Laem Chabang port as heavy container load comes loose and crushes man and wife in truck-trailer cab

rooster59

Two dead at Laem Chabang port as heavy container load comes loose and crushes man and wife in truck-trailer cab

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY3MC84MzUyMjUwL3V0dXJuLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

Chonburi police and rescue services were called after an incident at the B5 area of Laem Chabang port in SriRacha on Thailand's eastern seaboard.

A container carrying 20 tons of goods had come loose after a truck made a U-turn before deliverying the goods at the port.

It crushed the cab of the Hino truck.

Rescue services had to employ a crane to winch off the container then use cutting equipment to get to the two occupants of the cab who were already dead.

They were husband and wife Suphot, 51 who was driving and Kaysorn, 46, who was in the passenger seat.

A trucker at the scene said that it appeared the truck had braked too sharply and the load on the back had broken loose and slipped forward.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-27

• Sad 2

There's been a spate of video's lately of trucks and trailers rolling over, Surely is it a question of driving standards here in Thailand, or is that speed is of the essence, but the four corner bolts should have been quite sufficient to prevent containers coming off, in fact the whole trailer would normally go with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A trucker at the scene said that it appeared the truck had braked too sharply and the load on the back had broken loose and slipped forward.

I hope someone who knows trucks and trailers can explain how this is possible. I thought they were very securely locked down.

7 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

20 ton containers don't move whether the twist locks are engaged or not by just doing a u-turn,more likely empty box,twist locks not engaged,going around corner too fast,or hit a decent bump in the road caused the box to bounce off the trailer.

Its Thailand, no other explanation is needed.  HASW is an unknown concept here.  

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I hope someone who knows trucks and trailers can explain how this is possible. I thought they were very securely locked down.

As I wrote, its Thailand, you don't need to know anything else.  They are slipshod and careless in almost all facets of life, so no real surprise that this kind of thing can happen, often. I passed a man yesterday, perched  15 feet up on a gantry that was taking up half the lane of the road, no cones, no warning signs and the gantry was grey coloured, so you could hardly see it.  I missed it by a couple of feet. Not sure that everyone else did.  Even my wife just shook her head and said the man was an idiot. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Health and safety in the workplace....it's designed by altruistic people with good intentions, costed and controlled by bean counters an administered by people needing to tick the check box... and ignored by the people really needing it as it in many cases is either ott or simply misunderstood...

Container trucks......yeah nominally one to two twist locks or none if its empty.... tip truck and trailers....nominally way overloaded....flat bed trucks....never anything more than a thin cord holding the tarpaulin on.... closed in trucks....nominally safe mainly by use and good design than good practice....

Driving to Lop Buri last week, we came across 40ft flat bed carrying pallets of 40kg bags of cement..... not one pallet tied down... heavy braking saw the entire load slide forward depositing the first two rows of pallets in the gap between trailer and cab and then caving the rear of the cab and pushing the cab off the truck chassis, causing major traffic snarl up whilst replacement tractor unit was sourced, cement cleaned from the road; swept into the ditch.... blah blah

Meanwhile in New Zealand this week at one the biggest courier freight companies, a number of people were given written warnings including the several senior managers whom were advised by their designated Health and Safety officers over a three month period repeatedly, that staff were using the bright red emergency spill kit wheely bins as de facto rubbish bins and were in fact removing said bins from their allocated positions to various work stations to be more conveniently used as said rubbish bins and of course when the need arose for them to be used in emergency response they were nowhere to be found...

Yes I know slight difference of potential death but my point is that even in so called developed safe countries health ad safety is not uniformly applied or even thought about by the munchkins at the coal face, but somebody high up is ticking the boxes and feeling smug that they have done their job so well but really it has no real effect

On 2/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, jacko45k said:

Thats the biggest problem usually,the twist locks are not always engaged,an empty box unsecured can very easily and quickly bounce off the container pins if the truck hits a rough bit of road or kerb or whatever,if the twist locks are engaged there's absolutely no way a box can dislodge from a trailer.

• Thanks 1

Seems to be a bit of an issue within Laem Chabang port, it is a huge area and there are many trucks running from one dock to the next many times in a day and they seem quite careless about securing their loads, "its only round the corner" sort of attitude! 

There is also some seriously bad road conditions within the port, huge deep ruts with the repeated truck movements, these can throw a vehicle off their line easily.

But for sure in this case Mr & Mrs would still be alive if the twist locks had been engaged!

• Like 1

I would not give a tinkers toss for these so called truck drivers in Thailand, none I repeat none have ever been  to a proper truck driving school where they teach you the basics of securing your load to checking your wheel nuts before starting the day

• Like 1