Relative steals dirt

RoyLee

A relative assisting in the rental of gf's farm in faraway Isaan province helped himself to the top couple of feet of soil of the entire 5 rai plot.  She has dismissed involving police and quite passive about the matter. What recourse does she have?  

2 hours ago, RoyLee said:

A relative assisting in the rental of gf's farm in faraway Isaan province helped himself to the top couple of feet of soil of the entire 5 rai plot.  She has dismissed involving police and quite passive about the matter. What recourse does she have?  

Blimey,was it her brother or brother in law ?

• Haha 1

Enlist the help of the village leaders, puyaibahn ผู้ใหญ่บ้าน and/or the gumnan กำนัน. If they are willing to help resolve the problem the outcome will depend on whose family has tighter connections to those guys. Other than that not much she can do. Next time put it in a contract, leave the land intact as received, fence posts, trees, soil etc.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Pay for it, put it back, or face a Police report. Thats his choices I would sayl

I am not sure what price the topsoil costs per ton but if it was the top 1/2 metre and 5 rai equals 8,000 m/sq that comes to 4,000 cu/mt which is over 4,000 tons. That is a lot of truck loads and a lot of money involved.

If it is sold at 100 (notional figure) thb per cu/mt you can work the figures yourself.

I don't think it will ever come back and IMHO the police need to be informed.

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Something like this can quite easily escalate into a family feud. Best not say anything (which she already knows). Don't get involved. Good luck.

What else has the relative sold off as well? I suspect that the family have been taken care from the money he got for the land

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Sure, let somebody rob you and do nothing because there might be a problem. Later complain that nobody respects you.

There is already a problem which if it is not stopped now may grow into a bigger one.

Is the land in the girlfriends name only or are others names on the land document as well?

Many years ago before we moved up here my gf at the time had a 1 metre strip of land stolen by a neighbour. Not much really but it was 1 metre wide and 400 metres long. He had moved the marker posts so my g/f went to the land department at the amphur who sent a survey team out (at her expense) and the neighbour had to put the markers back at his expense.

The irony is that not long after that I gave her the money and she bought the neighbours land.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RoyLee said:

Recourse depends on how influential she or her family is..............Perhaps consider selling a few more feet from part or all of it and making a fish farm or a fishing lake. Both would provide an income and compensate should the current situation fail to be resolved. Using a macro to make one part deeper for a lake and using that soil to raise back up for a house would also work................

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A relative cut down trees on our land but the ex wouldn't do anything. I was mad because trees take many years to mature. What can be done? Too late, the trees were dead. I learned not to get involved or invest any more money or emotion there. I now don't put myself in a situation to be dis-respected.

If you don't get involved , you will not be respected.

• Confused 1

He is also interfering with the place being rented.

If he took the soil before it was rented out it may not get rented if people need to farm there. If he took it after it was rented out your going to have problems with the renters moving or not paying rent if they felt entitled to the soil, unless he made some strange side deal with the current occupants of the land.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you don't get involved , you will not be respected.

By some that is very true.......In 'no win' situations for a foreigner living in Thailand, one can gain respect from many by looking for a solution or by suggesting compromise. Often by not getting involved, one can gain respect for not escalating a situation which may well turn far uglier and involve innocent parties.......One will never gain respect from everyone as respect is subjective.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bojo said:

By some that is very true.......In 'no win' situations for a foreigner living in Thailand, one can gain respect from many by looking for a solution or by suggesting compromise. Often by not getting involved, one can gain respect for not escalating a situation which may well turn far uglier and involve innocent parties.......One will never gain respect from everyone as respect is subjective.

What is a "no win" situation for a foreigner in Thailand?

It is stealing and he should not get away scot-free. Total disrespect and feel for entitlement. If it was my position he would have to pay for it because he probably sold it as a land fill. Nothing more than a thief who needs to be taught a lesson. What is t quality of the top layer of the dirt opposed to what's left? It may even have been prime top soil.

• Like 2

You could insist your wife to gently inquire about it. See what he says? Maybe put up a sign near it that politely requests not to take it?

My wife had an uncle or some relative that keep calling her to borrow more money again and again. I got tired of it and let's just say I spoke Thai and acted like a big man over the phone. He didn't call anymore. I have a slight worry to face him someday ha. Oh well. My guess is that some may have the mentality that she has a foreign husband thus has plenty of cash so why not. Who knows.

I know how you feel though and it's tough to simply not do anything at all. As I said in the beginning, you could inquire gently and softly. Or, the sign.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is stealing and he should not get away scot-free. Total disrespect and feel for entitlement. If it was my position he would have to pay for it because he probably sold it as a land fill. Nothing more than a thief who needs to be taught a lesson. What is t quality of the top layer of the dirt opposed to what's left? It may even have been prime top soil.

That is easy to say. I provided some advice in an above post that mentions to inquire about it gently and softly. Or putting up a sign.

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

If he has the gall and audacity to do it, then he must have the guts to have it come back into his face. I am not that relaxed or forgiving and will confront anything face and head on. And yes he would be spoken to in his own language.

Well, that is why his wife can do the inquiring not him. For example, he and wife fully understand and review the questions together to ask or some key points. Then she does it not a serious way of course. If all else fails, maybe see if he would at least have a beer with the OP and check to see if he buys the first one.

After that, yeah, I guess let it go especially if it's not that expensive. But surely I myself, wouldn't just 'lay down.' I appreciate @Holy Cow your comments as I feel that way at times. It's hard to do especially working with them..

Every time i read posts like this ,i thank goodness that i was lucky enough to meet my wife who was in business as are her family and they are all decent middle class Thais ,who treat me so well and i think the world of them, 

Ps for 25 years ever since he was about 15 her youngest brother has always been broke and begs off us all ,mind you he is a nice guy ,just useless in business. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1