Dealing with Extortion

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Boy i sure wish all you guys getting upset about the way things work here ( usually paying 10 baht more for a songteow once in a while,  or getting hit up for 500 baht ( $12 ) for this "service"  ...

which as Crossy points out you CAN get from your Embassy at a MUCH HIGHER cost ....

Jeez, such a negative post. Rumak- perhaps Mairoo would be a better name.

Yes, it isn't fair, and it can be very annoying. I would suggest making a complaint. You could contact the immigration hotline and report the behavior. Will this help? Probably not, but it may make you feel slightly better.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

so is offering or giving a bribe - this isn't a 'one way' offense, so basically there are probably hundreds of foreigners who have broken the law here to get their extensions. 

But there lies the dilemma. Also, many of these foreigners probably don't realize that dealing with certain agents is illegal. 

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Boy i sure wish all you guys getting upset about the way things work here ( usually paying 10 baht more for a songteow once in a while,  or getting hit up for 500 baht ( $12 ) for this "service"  ...

which as Crossy points out you CAN get from your Embassy at a MUCH HIGHER cost ....

Would get a life !    Western world is more corrupt than any of you seem to have a clue .   The ordinary man has taxes taken out of their salary... the very rich and many corporations pay none !

Workers here get from 300 to 500 baht a day for many things.   Then we get all the complaints 

on how the work was below standard .    OMG    Anyone lucky enough to be born in an entitled country where bus drivers make 50 k  dollars a year ,  plumbers 50 dollars an hour,  and your congressman get huge lifetime pensions and SPECIAL healthcare .....  how can you compare ??

Talk about wanting your cake and eat it too  ie   you are living in a much freer and less PC country .

for a fraction of the cost and stress of living where I came from ..   I just don't get it .

I do get why so many guys posting and complaining are called grumpy old men though .

Please,  go back to      oh,   forgot  ....    i'm not supposed to say that.

Have a nice day,   y'all

totally agree. The rate of corruption in the west is so much extensive (and expensive) than here. I'm of the opinion that it's not the 'grumpy old men' which is the issue here but rather the 'grumpy cheap men'

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

But there lies the dilemma. Also, many of these foreigners probably don't realize that dealing with certain agents is illegal. 

because they're hypocrites. They realize that they're breaking laws alright but because its all about 'their' lack of financials, it's okay then. But if you told those same folks that there were foreigners bribing the immigration officials in their own country so they could avoid regulations, they'd be screaming murder. I'm hoping that covid controls and changes going forward forever close these illegal avenues and imo it will be just a matter of time..

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

because they're hypocrites. They realize that they're breaking laws alright but because its all about 'their' lack of financials, it's okay then. But if you told those same folks that there were foreigners bribing the immigration officials in their own country so they could avoid regulations, they'd be screaming murder. I'm hoping that covid controls and changes going forward forever close these illegal avenues and imo it will be just a matter of time..

And they do things like handing over 2000 baht for a visa and telling the cop to keep the change!!! 

This makes it worse for the honest ones. When I used to get visas, the cop would often need to be reminded about this 100 baht. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Proof of what?

You stated "many of these foreigners probably don't realize that dealing with certain agents is illegal." 

So give me an example where I would be doing something illegal by "dealing with certain agents"

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You stated "many of these foreigners probably don't realize that dealing with certain agents is illegal." 

So give me an example where I would be doing something illegal by "dealing with certain agents"

Any agent that gets you an extension by giving extra money to an immigration cop is breaking the law. 

I don't know your circumstances but for example if you can't show the required funds for a retirement ext, some agents can do this for you for 15,000-20,000 baht as they know bent police. 

Any agent that gets you an extension by giving extra money to an immigration cop is breaking the law. 

I don't know your circumstances but for example if you can't show the required funds for a retirement ext, some agents can do this for you for 15,000-20,000 baht as they know bent police. 

This thread is hilarious. Continue your crusade.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ridiculous. If it's illegal why do agent companies operate all over Thailand and in fact some are thaivisa sponsors. Ring 1178 asap to lodge your compliant.

Of course there are legit operators that don't bribe anybody but just gather your documents and give advice. I'm talking about the ones that ask for 15,000 baht for a 1,900 baht extension. 

53 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you get a receipt? If not, it is corruption, full stop.

I used to get them at Sri Ratcha for my driving licence, 300 baht I think and always got a receipt. Done in a few minutes, making it a lot cheaper than having to go back.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Of course there are legit operators that don't bribe anybody but just gather your documents and give advice. I'm talking about the ones that ask for 15,000 baht for a 1,900 baht extension. 

The latter is what I'm referring to. So show me where an agent or client has been prosecuted.

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The latter is what I'm referring to. So show me where an agent or client has been prosecuted.

If YOU don't see it then it doesn't mean that it isn't there.

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/bangkok-visa-agent-arrested-for-fake-extensions

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392449?utm_source=homepage_hilight&utm_medium=internal_referral

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

PM sent, I don't want to derail the topic about Residency Certs.

PM noted. A nonsense report about fake stamps. Agents always recommend to deal with agent company that has proven track record. Including reviews over long period.

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ridiculous. If it's illegal why do agent companies operate all over Thailand and in fact some are thaivisa sponsors. Ring 1178 asap to lodge your compliant.

there's a huge difference between the facilitation of paperwork and the payments of bribes but you obviously know that. The vehemence used in the defense of this practice strongly suggests to me that you have horses in this race or someone close to you does. You are probably the biggest cheerleader on thai visa pushing this practice and as you state above you believe the practice is above the law. I'm suggesting that it is not, you would be jailed in the west if convicted of bribing a government official (or arranging the bribe) and just because Thailand's wages are close to poverty level you think it's fine to take advantage of that fact. It's these attitudes that give westerners a bad name here. What's really ridiculous is this never ending defense of breaking the law in this country and counselling others to do the same.

13 minutes ago, Oldie said:

purposeful blindness (when it is suitable) is a world wide malady that transcends morality..

Neeranam, I checked your profile and see that you joined TV in 2004.  And you're just now getting cranked about 1000 baht for a C of R and other forms of petty corruption involving the police.  Have you been under a rock for the past 17 years?

1 minute ago, NancyL said:

Neeranam, I checked your profile and see that you joined TV in 2004.  And you're just now getting cranked about 1000 baht for a C of R and other forms of petty corruption involving the police.  Have you been under a rock for the past 17 years?

Thought about it many times but hearing last night annoyed me and I just want to find out if it is actually legal or not. My friend's 1000 baht going straight into the pocket of a laughing corrupt policeman makes my blood boil. 

Thought about it many times but hearing last night annoyed me and I just want to find out if it is actually legal or not. My friend's 1000 baht going straight into the pocket of a laughing corrupt policeman makes my blood boil. 

Which immigration office? 

You were not there.

I always refuse to pay bent coppers when they stop me for some trumped up speeding offence etc. I hate it and do my best to avoid it but I'm afraid if you want an address confirmation letter (which is what it is, there is no official certificate of residence), you're going to have to pay.  The going rate seems to be 500 baht (it is at Korat Immigration) and you won't get a receipt.

Without opening up the whole 'Yellow Tabien Baan' debate again, if you get one, you should not need a confirmation of address again - that's the only way I know of avoiding paying for the letter each time you need one.  I know my branch of Kasikorn and the DLT office at Pak Chong accept a Yellow Tabien Baan and that's just about all I'd ever need one for but according to some TV posters, they've still been required to get a confirmation of address.  That's nonsense on the part of whoever is requesting it but if that's what you're asked, what do you do?

My immigration office (Prachinburi) charges a 100 baht fee to file 90 day report in person.

Completely illegal, but they do it.

You are nto likely ti get anywhere, and could cause yourself real problems, trying to make an official report. There isn't even a clear channel for doing so. Yiou can  call the Immigration Hotline but it is set up to report illegal aliens not malfeasance by IOs and I think you'll find that beyond telling you that there should nto be this charge, they will nto do anything.

You\ could send a letter to the Bangkok Post witholding your name, those do sometimes seem to get seen by higher ups.

Or you could just shrug it off as the price for living here.

Archived