Dealing with Extortion

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I used to get them at Sri Ratcha for my driving licence, 300 baht I think and always got a receipt. Done in a few minutes, making it a lot cheaper than having to go back.

Ever wondered why receipt books in Thailand still use a sheet of carbon paper when the rest of the world uses self carbonating paper?  Next time you get a 'receipt', check the carbon paper is in place - it won't be.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Ever wondered why receipt books in Thailand still use a sheet of carbon paper when the rest of the world uses self carbonating paper?  Next time you get a 'receipt', check the carbon paper is in place - it won't be.

How many times in past 12 months were you overcharged. Meaning annual extension or 90 report etc etc..

Yes I pay 200baht to enter koh Samed. My Thai partner pays 40 baht. That's not relevant as I'm given a receipt.

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How many times in past 12 months were you overcharged. Meaning annual extension or 90 report etc etc.

Not once - I haven't been back for 11 months.

We are not talking about entering a National Park though are we?  That's an insitutionalised 'rip off' - and one they say is set to change.  The OP is about immigration charging for things they shouldn't and if you read my posts, I don't think there's a way around it.  Just as he does, I hate it but I've been around long enough to know that some things we just have to accept - or get in the boot as I sometimes do when I'm entering Khao Yai National Park.????

If its possible to challenge these bent gits I do. In the past I've been issued with 2 'speeding' tickets when there was no carbon paper in the book and one false charge of throwing a cigarette end down in Bangkok - again no carbon paper. The speeding tickets - one I challenged with 'big boss' for lack of evidence and was sent on my way, the other I threatened the same with much the same result. The cigarette - well as I showed the officer, after I'd let him go through his act (that I'd seen many times before) and write out his 'fine', I smoke roll ups and the butt he had in his hand was a 'tailor made' - end of chat, he just walked off.

56 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Not once - I haven't been back for 11 months.

We are not talking about entering a National Park though are we?  That's an insitutionalised 'rip off' - and one they say is set to change.  The OP is about immigration charging for things they shouldn't and if you read my posts, I don't think there's a way around it.  Just as he does, I hate it but I've been around long enough to know that some things we just have to accept - or get in the boot as I sometimes do when I'm entering Khao Yai National Park.????

If its possible to challenge these bent gits I do. In the past I've been issued with 2 'speeding' tickets when there was no carbon paper in the book and one false charge of throwing a cigarette end down in Bangkok - again no carbon paper. The speeding tickets - one I challenged with 'big boss' for lack of evidence and was sent on my way, the other I threatened the same with much the same result. The cigarette - well as I showed the officer, after I'd let him go through his act (that I'd seen many times before) and write out his 'fine', I smoke roll ups and the butt he had in his hand was a 'tailor made' - end of chat, he just walked off.

I have never needed to "challenge these bent gits"

Only 10 years here. Perhaps next 10 will require me to deal with bent gits.

BTW if you quote me include all my statement.

"Yes I pay 200baht to enter koh Samed. My Thai partner pays 40 baht. That's not relevant as I'm given a receipt."

I stated not relevant.

Stay in UK and avoid rip off stress. I never have had any. 

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The cigarette - well as I showed the officer, after I'd let him go through his act (that I'd seen many times before) and write out his 'fine', I smoke roll ups and the butt he had in his hand was a 'tailor made' - end of chat, he just walked off.

Why have you seen it MANY times before?

I have never seen innocent guys fined. I have seen it in Sukhumvit and all those guys dropped flags.

Apparently you smoke rollie's and you have seen many times before.

Please post accurate accounts. It's embarrassing.

Answer to op. 

Just pay the money and forget about it.

Any other action taken will lead to stress, time wasted, and sour your dream of living here. 

Most of us think corruption is wrong, disgusting, makes people's lives difficult and gives Thailand a bad reputation. But we as 'aliens'  ( and when it comes to the crunch, who are not accepted as part of Thai society) have no power or right to challenge the way of life here.

It's up to Thai people to change if they don't want corruption here. However it seems corruption is an integral part of the culture here, so the situation is not likely to change any time soon..

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Have we got a definitive answer yet?

Is the offering of a Residence Certificate for 300/500 baht against the law or not?

I'm not sure that you gonna get a definitive answer....If I have an issue with something, I just appease my mind to get my head around it all and make it right, so the negativity goes away. In this case I would consider the fee paid a discetionary 'service charge'. However, if it had been me that paid it, I would be more annoyed with myself for not asking 'what's your best price'. A beer or two would soon console that self inflicted pain though.................

16 hours ago, rumak said:

Boy i sure wish all you guys getting upset about the way things work here ( usually paying 10 baht more for a songteow once in a while,  or getting hit up for 500 baht ( $12 ) for this "service"  ...

which as Crossy points out you CAN get from your Embassy at a MUCH HIGHER cost ....

Would get a life !    Western world is more corrupt than any of you seem to have a clue .   The ordinary man has taxes taken out of their salary... the very rich and many corporations pay none !

Workers here get from 300 to 500 baht a day for many things.   Then we get all the complaints 

on how the work was below standard .    OMG    Anyone lucky enough to be born in an entitled country where bus drivers make 50 k  dollars a year ,  plumbers 50 dollars an hour,  and your congressman get huge lifetime pensions and SPECIAL healthcare .....  how can you compare ??

Talk about wanting your cake and eat it too  ie   you are living in a much freer and less PC country .

for a fraction of the cost and stress of living where I came from ..   I just don't get it .

I do get why so many guys posting and complaining are called grumpy old men though .

Please,  go back to      oh,   forgot  ....    i'm not supposed to say that.

Have a nice day,   y'all

I dont like the corruption in thailand,but the points that you remind us of..

Are very very valid..

Good reminder to us,i think.

I remember a little story which a farang in Thailand in a high position told me. He was working in Thailand since decades on big project and he knew top politicians. One day some labor department people "raided" his office and demanded a bribe. Sorry I forgot the amount.

What did the well connected farang boss do? He called his friend the minister of labor what to do about those bribe demanding people. And what did the minister tell him? He told him he could talk to the people and stop this. But it would upset many people along the line. And things like that should obviously be avoided. Summary: Just pay, the amount doesn't really hurt you and everybody will be happy. TiT.

51 minutes ago, murraynz said:

I dont like the corruption in thailand,but the points that you remind us of..

Are very very valid..

Good reminder to us,i think.

thank you.   when i use a certain "style" of writing it upsets some folks  haha   .    But it really is absurd that some people choose to make campaigns out of small "injustices".  

One day i grew up and realized that the world wasn't fair,  not everyone was sweet ,  and hardly anyone gave a hoot about me.   Then i went about trying to do the best i could given the situation.

Believe me,  the BIG injustices in life really do make me angry ( if i think too much) .  But still I and anyone posting here was given a better opportunity in life than 80 or 90 %  of the people born on this planet.     And even then many have failed,  and so blame it on others.

Never ever paid for a resident certificate at Chiang Mai immigration office. Waited for a month on three occasions though. Requiring one recently to renew driving licences was told not issuing due to Covid. Did I get one? Of course I did; from the copy shop over the road. Cost Bht 1,000. Also got both licenses from the LTD, who was aledgedly not issuing them..........

While corruption does annoy me, in Thailand it irritates me more having to go to the UK embassy and paying £50 (2000 Baht) for a residence certificate as my local IO and amphur refuse to issue them.

Even if they did, they are not accepted at the local DLT who insist on an embassy one anyway.

I'd be happy to pay a few hundred (yes illegal) baht to avoid what for me is an expensive trip to Bangkok. 300 Baht is a bargain compared to an 8  hour each-way drive and an overnight hotel, just for an A4 sheet of paper. Some might call this corruption.

Just now, Saltire said:

While corruption does annoy me, in Thailand it irritates me more having to go to the UK embassy and paying £50 (2000 Baht) for a residence certificate as my local IO and amphur refuse to issue them.

Even if they did, they are not accepted at the local DLT who insist on an embassy one anyway.

I'd be happy to pay a few hundred (yes illegal) baht to avoid what for me is an expensive trip to Bangkok. 300 Baht is a bargain compared to an 8  hour each-way drive and an overnight hotel, just for an A4 sheet of paper. Some might call this corruption.

Get yourself sorted with a yellow book, sorted, no need for resident certs anymore, easy.

I only ever applied for one residence certificate, the day after I arrived in Thailand for good.

I filed a TM30 and requesting the above at the same time, which was free, to purchase a motorcycle.

Back then Immigration merely stamped and signed the application form and it was good enough to purchase my first motorcycle at that time.

Since then, due to abuse, my office now request a letter from whoever requires the RC requesting it.

They now supply a written letter addressed particularly to the department/organisation/dealership that requires it.  They charge 200 baht for this service.

I can find nothing in writing whether this service should be free or not.

The fact nothing is in print regarding RC's leaves it open for Immigration officers to make up their own rules regard issuance. If indeed this is regarded as an extra chargeable service, it's about time Immigration put something in writing and standardise a suitable fee.

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Get yourself sorted with a yellow book, sorted, no need for resident certs anymore, easy.

Yep tried that at the local amphur a while ago.

'yellow book not for farang, migrant workers only'.

I am close to the Myanmar border and when I am in the amphur with the wife we see lots of agents with stacks of yellow books. Not for me though.

7 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yep tried that at the local amphur a while ago.

'yellow book not for farang, migrant workers only'.

I am close to the Myanmar border and when I am in the amphur with the wife we see lots of agents with stacks of yellow books. Not for me though.

Should have asked them how much! ????

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Yes...... the yellow book has worked for me for licenses  AND  visa extensions for over ten years .   Chiangmai  and  Lamphun  offices

and still, of course,  there are people saying the yellow book serves no purpose .  

the pink id  i never use.... except once at a bank that required it for higher interest acct.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Yes...... the yellow book has worked for me for licenses  AND  visa extensions for over ten years .   Chiangmai  and  Lamphun  offices

and still, of course,  there are people saying the yellow book serves no purpose .  

the pink id  i never use.... except once at a bank that required it for higher interest acct.

You can use the pink ID for anything you would use the tabian ban for and it is easier to carry around. Though I seem to recall hearing that Jomtien DRL was not accepting it tabian ban/pink ID card and demanding the immigration cert, but that is peculiar to them.

I just used it to get Thai rate at a national park. Have also used it to open bank accounts, register at hospitals, renew driver;s license etc etc. Thais love it when you have it as (1) it gives your address and name written in Thai and (2) it provides the 13 digit ID number many forms require, and people often don't know what to do when there is none, leading to a lot of (incorrect) "foreigner cannot" sort of responses.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

That is quite possibly the next step though even the local village chief seems to think farang can not get a yellow book.

Totally incorrect. They probably just have no experience with it.

When I did mine i had to call the general Bangkok government help line and have them talk with the ampour to explain things.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Totally incorrect. They probably just have no experience with it.

When I did mine i had to call the general Bangkok government help line and have them talk with the ampour to explain things.

I am sure you are correct, they wouldn't marry us either, another trip to Bangkok was needed.

I am in an area with very few farang, no precedent for many things, I feel like a pioneer many times here ????

I think I have the only office still insisting on a TM30 after a break in another province.

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I am in an area with very few farang, no precedent for many things, I feel like a pioneer many times here ????

Me too. Virtually no other farangs and what few there are, teach English in the Provincial capital. Local revenue office had never seen or heard of a retirement extension and did not believe foreigners were allowed to live here if not employed. Lots of other examples.

And of course since people have never dealt with foreigner, many transactions lead to the reflexive "cannot" response. One needs to be PPP: patient, polite but persistant.

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One needs to be PPP: patient, polite but persistant.

I usually just walk through the office with a large shoulder bag that has a big hole in it,  and as

i pass through greeting everyone the thousand baht notes falling on the floor make a trail behind me.

Next time i visit ..... lots of smiles ! 

if not using that method ( please all, it is just a joke ).............  the 3 P's  quoted above are what

all us "aliens"  should learn.   One step more is to be Proficient in the Thai language .

No, doesn't happen overnight,  But Practice Practice Practice.   So many farangs just use the

excuse it is too hard.

Archived