Aussie cars in Thailand

Natai Beach

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

English mate of mine bought a VK Holden when they first became available. Manufactured locally from imported CKD kits. Sold it to a kiwi mate who traded it in for the VL when they came on the market. Nice rides, great family cars. I see a well-kept VL regularly up here in Udon.

My experience in Australia was limited to Hertz rentals and usually they were XD Falcons but one time I got a VL Calais and thought that was really nice.

Speaking of local,there is a black HQ private taxi running around Pattaya, I saw it first about 20 yrs ago,then again a couple of months ago!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I lot of people do. The difference between the four door monaro and the standard kingswood was incredible. Felt like a totally different car altogether 

image.jpeg.7537684487ab5c42616e59776c9d4c94.jpeg

DB6A3808-6DEB-42E0-832F-63CA33A386CA.jpeg

Thanks Natai, great piccies too. Learn something new every day eh!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Speaking of local,there is a black HQ private taxi running around Pattaya, I saw it first about 20 yrs ago,then again a couple of months ago!

Yeah, usually up near Cosy Beach. I had the drivers number was going to get him  to pick up mates from Swampy for a laugh, but he was booked out that day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Another couple of Monaros..

A8969FAF-CC4A-436E-BC3D-F73E007CD797.jpeg

B0186A60-25DA-487F-A399-9D8AE2FB4CE5.jpeg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this model Monaro was the last to race at Bathurst, before going with the XU1?

A bloke in my home town had a Bathurst Monaro, cost a whack back in the day but what would it be worth now?

56 minutes ago, NumbNut said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this model Monaro was the last to race at Bathurst, before going with the XU1?

A bloke in my home town had a Bathurst Monaro, cost a whack back in the day but what would it be worth now?

Pretty sure you are correct. Coincidentally the supercars are running around Bathurst this weekend. 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:07 PM, Ralf001 said:

In Australia what is the price for a new rear wheel drive V8 car ?

I ask as cheap was mentioned.

New Chrysler 300 2020: V8 rear-wheel-drive sedan keeping ...

www.carsguide.com.au › car-news › new-chrysler-300-...

Aug 8, 2563 BE — New Chrysler 300 2020: V8 rear-wheel-drive sedan keeping the brand alive in Australia. Chrysler's 300 SRT is the only rear-drive V8 sedan priced below $150,000 in Australia.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Aug 8, 2563 BE — New Chrysler 300 2020: V8 rear-wheel-drive sedan keeping the brand alive in Australia. Chrysler's 300 SRT is the only rear-drive V8 sedan priced below $150,000 in Australia.

And of course Chrysler Australia produced the Dodge, that was a favored car of the King of Thailand number 9 for his many travels around the Kingdom. 

His Majesty also drove a Holden. I will find that photo and post it also.

Aussie built Dodge...

FAD70045-7CEA-4539-A003-08BE833B0A06.jpeg

019022F0-E556-483B-A20A-190A826D5936.jpeg

E80912C1-6AED-4D42-A0BA-97B52413BAC8.jpeg

D0AEE3D3-25D0-4855-93D3-B8966C6EA9B7.jpeg

20 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Love me them cheap V8 RWD sedans !!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

And of course Chrysler Australia produced the Dodge, that was a favored car of the King of Thailand number 9 for his many travels around the Kingdom. 

His Majesty also drove a Holden. I will find that photo and post it also.

Aussie built Dodge...

looks to be more like a Valiant VK Regal Sedan............... than a Dodge.

6 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I knew you would argue. It is an Aussie made Dodge. Here is the link..

https://www.matichon.co.th/region/news_327564

If you say its a Dodge then so be it.... I beg to differ and will say that article is wrong.

The VK Valiant is the 4th facelift after the initial release of the VH Valiant, The VH Valiant was an All Australian designed vehicle.............. no Dodge at all.

Edited by Ralf001

13 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Whoever Said cheap must be a Billionaire    ????

Ive a feeling Natai beach is a tad out of the loop with the current prices of cars in Australia... new or used !!

From what friends there tell me everything is damn expensive.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thanks 1

In 1971, at the age of 19 & during the Vietnam War, I bought a brand new 4 door Ford Falcon XW GTHO Phase 2 sedan for cash - it was about AUD $4,800 on the road. A group of my army friends all bought the same sort of vehicle - a few bought Holden V8s, but most of us bought the Ford GT or GTHO (grand touring, handling option). Mine came with the 351 cubic inch 'Cleveland' engine and four speed gearbox. For those naysayers on here who will never get to experience such an awesome beast, try these stats. It came with a 36 imperial gallon fuel tank (about 45 US gallons ?) and when hard thumped/driven, returned a whopping 4 - 7 miles-per-gallon ! Petrol was only 20c a gallon back then though. I gave a boy hitch-hiking a lift one day - I doubt that he ever hitch-hiked again. First gear - 55 mph+, second gear - 90 mph+, third gear - 115 mph+ and top gear, well, with the electronic speed limiter disabled, up to you. 140 mph was simple, in a car weighing two tons ! I had the 3.00 differential which gave me 26 mph per thousand revs. I once drove a 75 mile stretch of NSW highway at 0600 in the morning in just 34 minutes. (Really !) I sold the car to marry my first (farang) wife. I should have dumped her and kept the car. That car would be worth well over a million dollars now. Sadly, they only made 750 of them and 85% of them ended up the same way mine did.  Six weeks after I sold it, the 17 year old who bought it wrapped it, himself and his girlfriend around a huge eucalyptus tree, at well over 100 mph (160 kph) on the main highway in NSW. A couple of years & numerous fatal accidents later, 'supercars' were effectively banned by the Oz government. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lastly, since the demise of Ford and Holden, who closed their Australian factories about two years ago, prices of older model Australian icon cars have simply skyrocketed. They are better than any investment I have ever made. It is not unusual for someone to pay AUD $15K or more, for just a rusting body with original but worn-out running gear, that is sitting in a paddock.  A friend just paid $70K for a nice 1964 EH Holden - and it is not a super-car, just a sedan.

Just now, Aussiepeter said:

Lastly, since the demise of Ford and Holden, who closed their Australian factories about two years ago, prices of older model Australian icon cars have simply skyrocketed. They are better than any investment I have ever made. It is not unusual for someone to pay AUD $15K or more, for just a rusting body with original but worn-out running gear, that is sitting in a paddock.  A friend just paid $70K for a nice 1964 EH Holden - and it is not a super-car, just a sedan.

And yet the OP claims V8 RWD sedans are cheap.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Impossible to break traction with the AWD on any dirt road. Better build quality than any Ford or Holden.

I agree - when I came back to OZ with my Thai family 8 years ago my then 90 y.o. dad gave us one of these, assuming that this is a Mitsubishi Magna V6 - we drive it every day. Most reliable car I have ever owned and, it has 225K kms on it !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

And yet the OP claims V8 RWD sedans are cheap.

They were cheap about five or six years ago, but not now. Everyone is either 'panic-buying' their once 'dream' car or, reliving their mis-spent youth. However, you can't drive fast anymore in Oz - cops and speed cameras are everywhere. Fines are astronomical. That being said, I'd prefer to drive in Oz, or anywhere else really, than ever drive again in LOS.

1 hour ago, Aussiepeter said:

In 1971, at the age of 19 & during the Vietnam War, I bought a brand new 4 door Ford Falcon XW GTHO Phase 2 sedan for cash - it was about AUD $4,800 on the road. A group of my army friends all bought the same sort of vehicle - a few bought Holden V8s, but most of us bought the Ford GT or GTHO (grand touring, handling option). Mine came with the 351 cubic inch 'Cleveland' engine and four speed gearbox. For those naysayers on here who will never get to experience such an awesome beast, try these stats. It came with a 36 imperial gallon fuel tank (about 45 US gallons ?) and when hard thumped/driven, returned a whopping 4 - 7 miles-per-gallon ! Petrol was only 20c a gallon back then though. I gave a boy hitch-hiking a lift one day - I doubt that he ever hitch-hiked again. First gear - 55 mph+, second gear - 90 mph+, third gear - 115 mph+ and top gear, well, with the electronic speed limiter disabled, up to you. 140 mph was simple, in a car weighing two tons ! I had the 3.00 differential which gave me 26 mph per thousand revs. I once drove a 75 mile stretch of NSW highway at 0600 in the morning in just 34 minutes. (Really !) I sold the car to marry my first (farang) wife. I should have dumped her and kept the car. That car would be worth well over a million dollars now. Sadly, they only made 750 of them and 85% of them ended up the same way mine did.  Six weeks after I sold it, the 17 year old who bought it wrapped it, himself and his girlfriend around a huge eucalyptus tree, at well over 100 mph (160 kph) on the main highway in NSW. A couple of years & numerous fatal accidents later, 'supercars' were effectively banned by the Oz government. 

Closest I have been to one on the road (GT, not sure if a phase) is about a meter. 
In my review mirror.

i was driving through country Victoria in the V8 Porsche I posted earlier which coincidentally was supposedly the fastest production car in the world 

and saw a bloke leaving a pub in Kyneton getting into a XYGT. Within minutes he was up my aร$e. I thought no problem I will just put the foot down. 

It went on for a few minutes, he had me, I felt like I was in a Mad Max movie, had the psycho who was probably drunk right up me and I couldn’t even shake him for a second. I gave up, he won. 
No wonder the government effectively banned them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1