Aussie cars in Thailand

Natai Beach

1 minute ago, Natai Beach said:

Did they sell them in Thailand? 

They didn’t sell many in Australia. 

They were sold in SE Asia under the Diamante logo. Quite common luxury car in Malaysia and Indonesia, don't know about Thailand.

They didn't sell many in Australia because Mitsubishi was much better at manufacturing cars than marketing them, whereas the converse was true for Holden and Ford. IMO the most underrated vehicle ever built in Australia, and I say that having owned all three brands.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, Susco said:

Is this thread a contest for the ugliest car ever produced.

I'm a classic car enthusiast, but from all pictures I have seen in this thread, almost all of them you would not be allowed to drop them on my driveway if they were free.

Jeez, now I know why Australia doesn't have any car factories any more.

There is absolutely no market for them in Thailand and probably hasn't been for 30-40 years or more. So they end up junk and morph into an old toyota lol 

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

They were sold in SE Asia under the Diamante logo. Quite common luxury car in Malaysia and Indonesia, don't know about Thailand.

They didn't sell many in Australia because Mitsubishi was much better at manufacturing cars than marketing them, whereas the converse was true for Holden and Ford. IMO the most underrated vehicle ever built in Australia, and I say that having owned all three brands.

I looked up Mitsubishi 380 in Thai and all it comes up with 380 is an electric motor for aircons.

They did export them to Brunei also. I have never been in one and actually had forgotten about them. 

Yesterday I saw an old Sigma which were built in Australia in a paddock full of old wrecks.

They did sell them here.

6C0F664F-A128-42DD-A5A3-F5F0EC71FF87.jpeg

Edited by Natai Beach

1 minute ago, Natai Beach said:

I looked up Mitsubishi 380 in Thai and all it comes up with 380 is an electric motor for aircons.

They did export them to Brunei also. I have never been in one and actually had forgotten about them. 

The Magna AWD preceded the 380, which was never made with an AWD option.

It was actually a screaming bargain that most Australians never recognised. I paid $38,000 for mine. The only comparable sedan at that time was the AMG Mercedes, which was three times the cost.

I gave it to my son when I left Australia, he's still driving it with over 300,000 km on the odometer.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Magna AWD preceded the 380, which was never made with an AWD option.

It was actually a screaming bargain that most Australians never recognised. I paid $38,000 for mine. The only comparable sedan at that time was the AMG Mercedes, which was three times the cost.

I gave it to my son when I left Australia, he's still driving it with over 300,000 km on the odometer.

In 2006, I drove from the Gold Coast to Armidale and back. Thought I was renting a corolla, but they didn't have any so I got the 380 at no extra cost. (I think it eas the 380). It was a very nice car, but the cops were everywhere so really couldn't give it the beans. 

Edited by DavisH

On 2/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, Natai Beach said:

My 928s pictured below. My brother and dad have those little 6 cylinder 911 things with rough ride. 
Even they agree my 928 is better to drive. And faster.

But anyway, this thread is about Aussie made cars in Thailand.

33E91111-8761-45E7-BB80-127DD89BAF2E.jpeg

928's (also darned ugly) haven't won too many races against 911's. I'll grant you the fact that any remaining examples are increasing in value.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, Natai Beach said:

XA-XC Falcons were also assembled in Thailand.
A mate reckons he saw a two door in Bangkok once. I am skeptical as he has bad eyes and drinks a lot. 
I have never seen any evidence of one.

5CFA1624-8BD5-44FD-9F13-219FFB57D8D0.jpeg

4FC3851B-DC68-4938-A0A0-F524BF7CBAD1.jpeg

506CBFBE-A0FD-41AA-BC50-3E148A6FC8A0.jpeg

7CC91F2D-BEDF-4B94-ABBF-FD4CBA4563F6.jpeg

On 2/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, Susco said:

Jeez, now I know why Australia doesn't have any car factories any more.

Hoover , the American owned washing  machine company .

Also went down the pan in Oz.

Some thing about work culture and hangovers ..

Jeez, now i know why Oz , dont have washing machine  factories any more ..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive a feeling Natai beach is a tad out of the loop with the current prices of cars in Australia... new or used !!

From what friends there tell me everything is damn expensive.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

And yet the OP claims V8 RWD sedans are cheap.

5 times you have made this false claim. 

Here is a cheap falcon v8 XR8 

Motor just run in. Less than 150,000 baht. 

Hundreds of others available. 

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/11588706/FORD--FALCON--QLD+-+Sunshine+Coast--BOROREN+4678,+QLD--Sedan?searchKey=cg_s.abcb219d74c2e33f1324b2a9a5845dcc#pos9

7 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

5 times you have made this false claim. 

Here is a cheap falcon v8 XR8 

Motor just run in. Less than 150,000 baht. 

Hundreds of others available. 

https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/11588706/FORD--FALCON--QLD+-+Sunshine+Coast--BOROREN+4678,+QLD--Sedan?searchKey=cg_s.abcb219d74c2e33f1324b2a9a5845dcc#pos9

After reading your post i have been looking at Aussie prices for V8's.

It seems that the prices of Holden V8's has risen greatly, look at the comparable prices for same car but with a V6 engine and you will see that the V8 is priced way out of proportion.

This seems to a recent thing as i was looking at a car a few years ago and at that time there was very little price difference.

It seems the average Aussie Bogan is trying to make an investment.

I wonder what a pack of Winnie Reds is worth nowadays ?

2 hours ago, moose7117 said:

It seems that the prices of Holden V8's has risen greatly, look at the comparable prices for same car but with a V6 engine and you will see that the V8 is priced way out of proportion.

This seems to a recent thing as i was looking at a car a few years ago and at that time there was very little price difference.

They are rising because of simple supply and demand. There is no new supply, but plenty of demand for rear wheeled v8s. But there are still thousands available cheaply for under $10,000.

And how good is that mate!
I wish I could buy rear wheeled V8s in Thailand for under 250,000 baht. 

If I was living in Oz I would buy seven of them, one for everyday of the week.

Kind regards 

Average Aussie Bogan

From Billionaire Beach, Thailand 

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

Or the Holden Camira.  

Better grab one of these collectibles before you’re priced out forever.

BF92A91E-9892-433E-A2C1-684AA59D275C.jpeg

This thread is specifically for Aussie built cars exported to Thailand. That photo is obviously from Australia. That said, the Thais loved their Holden Camiras, and the factory in Australia had to put on extra shifts to keep up with Thai demand for the Aussie Holden Camira.

9B45609B-E6DD-4BA8-A84C-0A62DB0BA9C6.jpeg

38272FE8-1516-44B7-B5CC-69B1A1A4B90D.jpeg

12C3145D-A096-46C7-9846-E4E6E159F58F.jpeg

8E82BAA7-6CDF-48C9-90FD-96B5D5C0FDD1.jpeg

79A79890-87C0-4DFC-A26B-CEE28D3562A2.jpeg

Edited by Natai Beach

Before pickups were manufactured in Thailand, the Thai people loved nothing more than a legendary Aussie Ute. 
Somchai wanted a vehicle he could go to the Temple in on a Sunday and which could carry the pigs to market on Mondays.

00F312F0-28F0-43C2-AD24-25574C60B2E4.jpeg

6006B29F-365F-4B67-9529-05906C3414D6.jpeg

EC532706-58C0-4719-A61C-F494211953DD.jpeg

B8B2C7C7-AE35-4F56-8CCC-0407199C08F0.jpeg

0290504F-2DFB-4755-9510-8F29968A1F83.jpeg

A6FE4FEA-2F88-4DBF-B90D-2C0DE75DF4BE.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, Natai Beach said:

A mate reckons he saw a two door in Bangkok once. I am skeptical as he has bad eyes and drinks a lot. 

I have seen a Falcon in Trat no idea what model though, I don't drink a lot and my eyes are fairly good.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moose7117 said:

V8's have always demanded a premium in Aussie second-hand

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Natai Beach said:

5CFA1624-8BD5-44FD-9F13-219FFB57D8D0.jpeg

4FC3851B-DC68-4938-A0A0-F524BF7CBAD1.jpeg

506CBFBE-A0FD-41AA-BC50-3E148A6FC8A0.jpeg

7CC91F2D-BEDF-4B94-ABBF-FD4CBA4563F6.jpeg

On 2/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, Ralf001 said:

In Australia what is the price for a new rear wheel drive V8 car ?

I ask as cheap was mentioned.

The later SS HSV, Maloo utes, and other V6 and V8 Commodore Holdens could cost up to 80K. The HSV GTS-R cost $110K AUD when production was still going along (last performance V8 made by Holden).

Holden or GM Australia does not make cars now certainly not V8's (2017 saw the plan and beginnings of closing completely Australian manufactured cars). The production of cars by them is fast winding down to zero. While a tough and usually reliable car once, with parts easy and cheap to get by comparison to European cars they were always lacking in every respect.

The high end Holdens models (mentioned above) were in later, recent years reasonably decent cars (partly because they were designed and incorporated many elements and part-designing modelled on European makes incorporating key components from these cars).

These later cars handled quite well. The rest of the smaller Holden cars, and models of all engine sizes made up until the last few years of production were very-arguably rubbish compared to European made cars.

Australian cars followed a lot of the standards and expectations of car manufacturing modelled on the US and that meant cheaper cars but fit and finish and depth of R&D and engineering quality was as US cars - bad.  Badly designed and ratioed gearboxes, gas guzzling, shocking finish, terrible handling. There may be Aussies and Yanks that read this and disagree. Up to you but the proof of Aussie and American car-quality building is plain to see when driving European cars, The Australian car manufacturing industry is dead. Ford the same. 

7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

The later SS HSV, Maloo utes, and other V6 and V8 Commodore Holdens could cost up to 80K. The HSV GTS-R cost $110K AUD when production was still going along (last performance V8 made by Holden).

Holden or GM Australia does not make cars now certainly not V8's (2017 saw the plan and beginnings of closing completely Australian manufactured cars). The production of cars by them is fast winding down to zero. While a tough and usually reliable car once, with parts easy and cheap to get by comparison to European cars they were always lacking in every respect.

The high end Holdens models (mentioned above) were in later, recent years reasonably decent cars (partly because they were designed and incorporated many elements and part-designing modelled on European makes incorporating key components from these cars).

These later cars handled quite well. The rest of the smaller Holden cars, and models of all engine sizes made up until the last few years of production were very-arguably rubbish compared to European made cars.

Australian cars followed a lot of the standards and expectations of car manufacturing modelled on the US and that meant cheaper cars but fit and finish and depth of R&D and engineering quality was as US cars - bad.  Badly designed and ratioed gearboxes, gas guzzling, shocking finish, terrible handling. There may be Aussies and Yanks that read this and disagree. Up to you but the proof of Aussie and American car-quality building is plain to see when driving European cars, The Australian car manufacturing industry is dead. Ford the same. 

Didn;t one of them fancy holden utes recently sell for 1 million dollars ?

43 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have seen a Falcon in Trat no idea what model though, I don't drink a lot and my eyes are fairly good.

2 door? 
I said two door in my post. You sure about the eyes?????

Here is another four door falcon (XR)from Pattaya....

E6EAE4A9-8BE3-418D-9EEF-417324AEC9C7.jpeg

42C92DCC-F1F3-42E5-89BF-206A68612076.jpeg

Edited by Natai Beach

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

Were triple webers standard on them or SU's?

Single dual throat down draft 38mm Weber in standard trim There were triple 40mm Weber options available from speed shops, but not from the factory AFAIK.

images (2).jpeg