Aussie cars in Thailand

Natai Beach

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Look to be UK numberplates as well.

The 6cyl Aussie Mk3 (TC) Cortina has a bonnet bulge.

Here's a British guy reviewing an Aussie 6cyl TC.

I almost bought a green 4.1 cortina as my first car. But I ended up with a 1310 cc  mini - which was a money pit. Should have got the cortina!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you have not caught up with the fact Japanese and Korean brands are now superior to all but the most expensive European brands. The technical specs of a Kia Stinger are way better than its counterpart Mercedes 200 SLK.

Having said that, I have heard one of the requirements of purchasing a Toyota Avalon in Australia was the buyer had to show the dealership a wardrobe full of cardigans and woolly slippers.

Those Kia Stinger's are a lot of car for the money. Would be hard to go past if you were in the market for a performance four door  

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you have not caught up with the fact Japanese and Korean brands are now superior to all but the most expensive European brands. The technical specs of a Kia Stinger are way better than its counterpart Mercedes 200 SLK.

Having said that, I have heard one of the requirements of purchasing a Toyota Avalon in Australia was the buyer had to show the dealership a wardrobe full of cardigans and woolly slippers.

Japanese Kia better than mercedes ... you're dreamin' mate ... What a ridiculous thing to say! Obviously you have never had the pleasure of owning a marque such a Mercedes because if you had you'd be unable to say such a thing.

32 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Japanese Kia better than mercedes ... you're dreamin' mate ... What a ridiculous thing to say! Obviously you have never had the pleasure of owning a marque such a Mercedes because if you had you'd be unable to say such a thing.

Kia is not Japanese. 

When you are going to argue with someone it helps if you get you facts straight otherwise you lose credibility. 

S class,  a few 2 door mercs are great cars. 
The C, B, A etc are average with a merc badge. Front wheel drive rubbish

• Like 1

Hey Natai Beach - I bet it scared you. I had an old farmer come up to me on the Newell Highway in a brand new Chrysler Valiant V8 Regal - they had a 318 V8 from memory, in 1972. I let him get move up to me to see if he was a cop - he pulled alongside on a long straight - then slowly went past, whilst giving me 'the finger' & smiling at his young son (I assume) next to him. He was flat out at about 100mph. My GTHO had the stripes removed by me, to remove police attention - so it looked like any other Ford. I then pulled out to pass him, looked left at him at the same speed and smiled, then I changed down to third gear and floored it. (By this time, I'd had the 390 California Heads, big cam and 4 barrel 950 double pumper Holley carby fitted). At about 125 mph I threw into top gear and he was a memory. I was a young 20 y.o. soldier - it still bothers me now at 70 to think of how I could survive driving that monster daily, let alone  survive a couple of wars. I'm not surprised that they banned them. I only got one ticket in it though - speeding, - 48mph in a 35 mph zone ! I drive at the speed limit, or even slower, at 70.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Hey Natai Beach - I bet it scared you. I had an old farmer come up to me on the Newell Highway in a brand new Chrysler Valiant V8 Regal - they had a 318 V8 from memory, in 1972. I let him get move up to me to see if he was a cop - he pulled alongside on a long straight - then slowly went past, whilst giving me 'the finger' & smiling at his young son (I assume) next to him. He was flat out at about 100mph. My GTHO had the stripes removed by me, to remove police attention - so it looked like any other Ford. I then pulled out to pass him, looked left at him at the same speed and smiled, then I changed down to third gear and floored it. (By this time, I'd had the 390 California Heads, big cam and 4 barrel 950 double pumper Holley carby fitted). At about 125 mph I threw into top gear and he was a memory. I was a young 20 y.o. soldier - it still bothers me now at 70 to think of how I could survive driving that monster daily, let alone  survive a couple of wars. I'm not surprised that they banned them. I only got one ticket in it though - speeding, - 48mph in a 35 mph zone ! I drive at the speed limit, or even slower, at 70.

The 928 is a lot lower than the falcon and has a hatch rear window, so all I could see in the rear vision mirror was the grill, and the four headlights.
It wasn’t only fast, its acceleration was unbelievable. I slowed down a bit then floored it to try and shake him but it was like he was stuck on my rear bumper. The 928 had heaps of speed at the top end, but that thing was faster. 

Anyway, some other thai Falcons..

B81A524C-BE58-4FAF-9ED9-9CA3ABA2C918.jpeg

A302144A-5124-49B1-A43F-70630D06EB34.jpeg

4F938627-6069-4FB1-8393-CB0482AC84DB.jpeg

CFC42633-384D-4635-993D-D15C340A18FC.jpeg

BDB8A368-B454-4D57-9803-290048AF6F17.jpeg

8312A9C2-10E5-4C4D-8CB8-9FB5D1A6DEAB.jpeg

2D2B77E0-B6FD-4E66-859E-ED86982A66B5.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

and the Cop only gave you the Ticket, because you kindly Stopped to let him ????  

... thinking it'd be great of the photos so far had some time stamps to go with them...  otherwise the forever wondering if many of those cars are actually still alive and kicking, or now just faded memories ???? from history?

On 3/1/2021 at 7:23 PM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you have not caught up with the fact Japanese and Korean brands are now superior to all but the most expensive European brands.

BMW and Mercedes - driven by people who would not know quality if it hit them in the wallet, which the newer models will sooner than later.

Want a quality car - Lexus

Puts the German makes to shame - both in build quality, ride, and longevity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I've had the displeasure of owning one Mercedes in Thailand, damn thing was a money pit that broke down on me twice. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Apart from the fact Kia is Korean, not Japanese, it is equally obvious you have never been in a Stinger. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Too expensive in Thailand due to the tariff wall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:
2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Good to see Scotland is developing! 

Yeah, with our help they’ll soon be able to build their own washing machines...

Nah mate, you can keep your ocker washing machines.

lightning.jpg.da6b1bb66915b0d4f5a6f3f8a03ce19d.jpg

And the cars they made...

lzeta.jpg.a5c878f5ec17ac9f4083b0de9017a959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Lexus IS a Toyota.

And I think we can all agree the best ever Toyota was the Toyota Lexcen.

No. The best ever Toyota is and was the Toyota Landcruiser, in utility or wagon form.

I knew a farmer in NSW who was brutal on vehicles, the average was 2-3 years for any car he bought. The dealerships would be in tears when he traded them in, as they were not even fit for spare parts. He complained the Ford XA, XB and XC were too fragile, as the front windscreen pillars broke too easily.

He bought a Landcruiser, he was still trying to wreck it after 8 years, unsuccessfully.

A Lexcen is simply a rebadged Holden. Please don't get me started on their design flaws, the slowest to take up any new car technology.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A Lexcen is simply a rebadged Holden

Which was the reason it was the best Toyota ever built. 

Many of the worlds leading car companies rebadged Holdens to improve their credibility. 

Another example of an Aussie made Holden in Thailand is the Holden Statesmen/Caprice which was rebadged in Thailand as a Chevrolet Caprice and sat at the very top of Chevrolet’s range in Thailand. 

Nice car.

5A03B308-B3F0-4D30-8878-086CB8BC36A2.jpeg

67A4DDD0-111F-4F69-9D36-0C24851EE290.jpeg

75782ACE-4FE9-493B-9083-EA84CFE61523.jpeg

039C70A3-8D5A-4BC1-8C99-34DC7AA3E9FC.jpeg

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Nah mate, you can keep your ocker washing machines.

lightning.jpg.da6b1bb66915b0d4f5a6f3f8a03ce19d.jpg

And the cars they made...

lzeta.jpg.a5c878f5ec17ac9f4083b0de9017a959.jpg

Very versatile vehicles, they could even do a double act.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Which was the reason it was the best Toyota ever built. 

Many of the worlds leading car companies rebadged Holdens to improve their credibility. 

Another example of an Aussie made Holden in Thailand is the Holden Statesmen/Caprice which was rebadged in Thailand as a Chevrolet Caprice and sat at the very top of Chevrolet’s range in Thailand. 

Nice car.

5A03B308-B3F0-4D30-8878-086CB8BC36A2.jpeg

67A4DDD0-111F-4F69-9D36-0C24851EE290.jpeg

75782ACE-4FE9-493B-9083-EA84CFE61523.jpeg

039C70A3-8D5A-4BC1-8C99-34DC7AA3E9FC.jpeg

Holden was the last vehicle manufacturer in Australia to adopt front wheel disc brakes. AFAIK it still hadn't got around to having disc brakes all round, before closing up shop.

It was also the last manufacturer in Australia to abandon black dip prime in favor of an E-coat system of corrosion protection. It's why so many older Holdens are rust buckets.

It never really has solved the NVH problem. I owned three Holdens, and they all had perceptible diff whine.

The most recent example I owned was an Omega, with a boot lid that must have been designed to trap water. So every time I opened the lid after rain, it would drop water on my golf clubs.

While you may be a Holden admirer, the facts contradict your assertion they are a leading brand. In marketing, maybe.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, Natai Beach said:

Another couple of Monaros..

A8969FAF-CC4A-436E-BC3D-F73E007CD797.jpeg

B0186A60-25DA-487F-A399-9D8AE2FB4CE5.jpeg

I'm curious where the top photo was taken. There was a Monaro like this often left at a mechanics in Suk 50. Once I inquired about it, the guy told me it was all original with the 186 motor and the owner would not let anyone photograph it.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, Lacessit said:

I've had the displeasure of owning one Mercedes in Thailand, damn thing was a money pit that broke down on me twice. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Apart from the fact Kia is Korean, not Japanese, it is equally obvious you have never been in a Stinger. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Too expensive in Thailand due to the tariff wall.

Kia is very popular in Australia, along with Hyundai. But not here as there are very few service centers so getting it serviced may be a nightmare (never mind the cost of imported parts if it's not made here). Thais just want ease of service, reliability, cheap service and good resale - so they go with T or H mainly. 

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

Kia is very popular in Australia, along with Hyundai. But not here as there are very few service centers so getting it serviced may be a nightmare (never mind the cost of imported parts if it's not made here). Thais just want ease of service, reliability, cheap service and good resale - so they go with T or H mainly. 

AFAIK Kia is not made in Thailand, so there is also the tariff wall making them much more expensive than they should be.

Croos the border into Vientiane, and there are plenty of them around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK Kia is not made in Thailand, so there is also the tariff wall making them much more expensive than they should be.

Croos the border into Vientiane, and there are plenty of them around.

Yes the tariff wall kills them, just can't compete on price. Mazda and Honda with their assembly plants in ASEAN countries satisfy the criteria and thus dodge the tariff.

I wonder if we'll see the Korean makes follow suit and set up manufacture/assembly plants in an ASEAN country down the track a bit