What is the best tax software for American expats filing taxes online?

gt162

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps people may want to mention ones that they are using that do accept their foreign address.

I just filed a couple days ago with Turbo using a foreign address and US bank account for the refund and my return was accepted.   I think I've only used Turbo and TaxAct and thought they were both pretty good but one of them tricked me one year and I paid 10 or 20 bucks just to get it over with.

Here is a list of of what the supposed requirements are for each free option:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers 

• Like 1

Free File Fillable Forms worked for me every year.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd

1.There is no income limits.

2. If you don't have a working US phone number , entered junk numbers and opt to receive security code via e-mail.

3.Thai address is acceptable here.

4. Direct deposit refund into US bank/ brokerage account.

5. When filing , leave the driving license information blank if you do not have a valid US DL.

6. After filling print or save a copy and delete the forms. Be safe.

In my opinion other paid sites are worth the money if you need help. Free Fillable is simple and basic since my taxes are similar every year.

• Like 1

As a note, for people wanting a US phone, the price has come down significantly. I have Mint Mobile for $180 a year with four gigs data a month (in the US) and calls from Thailand to the US ten cents a minute BUT wifi calling works perfectly and is free. People calling you from the US pay nothing. 

I use an old iphone for it, but you can get a SIM for most any phone. 

If you have a more complex return, with investment or rental income or capital gains, you can't use the free tax services provided by the IRS. After checking various options, I used TurboTax Premier this year. It was relatively easy and straightforward to use and did all the complicated math for me. At a cost of only $70, plus an optional $50 extra for enhanced security services, I highly recommend it. Also, you can file using a U.S. address, even if you live in Thailand. It asks if you live abroad, and you click on "Yes." It then informs you that you have to fill out an FBAR form based on your overseas residence, but you don't have to provide your Thai address. It's that simple. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 8:07 PM, acepredator said:

If you have a more complex return, with investment or rental income or capital gains, you can't use the free tax services provided by the IRS

you can use Free File Fillable Forms at the site I have posted above, just add the forms that you need.

• Like 2