VIDEO: Thailand on a budget - could you live in Bangkok on 300 baht per day?

rooster59

EhszhcWVoAAVzb3.jpg

Bangkok, like the rest of Thailand, is renowned for its low cost of living and affordability for expats.

And while some data suggests that Thai capital perhaps isn’t as cheap as it once was (where is?), it still remains an affordable option for expat life, especially when compared to the cost of living in major cities in Europe or the United States.

But just how expensive is Bangkok? Is it still possible to live frugally?

Not including expenses such as rent and internet, how much do you spend in a day?

Thailand based YouTuber Chris Parker AKA Retired Working For You, set himself the challenge of living in Bangkok on just $10 or approximately 300 baht per day.

In his video, Chris manages to buy his breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and even has enough money for a beer at the end of the day. He also travels around the city, taking in some of Bangkok’s most affordable (free) tourist attractions.

In total, Chris spends $9.90 or 308 baht. 

As stated, Chris’s video doesn’t take into account bigger expenses such as rent, internet, insurance or health and medical costs.

But it does show parts of life in Bangkok are still more than doable for those on a budget.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-27

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Not including expenses such as rent and internet, how much do you spend in a day?

Internet? Since when was internet an essential for daily living?

Of course the let out is that is the cost of living for ONLY one day, not the average daily spend over a week or month.

I can understand excluding rent (electricity, water etc) as that is an area/location dependent cost.

What of course is missing is all the non daily essential costs like bathing, cleaning, laundry and all the other daily, weekly monthly personal expenses which would need to be averaged into the equation.

Edited by fangless
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

To live on 300 baht per day you would have to chat up one of the thousands of beautiful women in Bangkok with good paying jobs, sweet mouth her into staying at her condo and using her car when she is at work. She would have to make lunch for you before she went to work. 

I can’t see any other way, unless renting an absolute non air conditioned dive and living on Mama and stealing toiletries from 7/11.

To be fair, the OP stated that this particular experiment didn't take into account "bigger expenses" such as rent, internet, insurance or health and medical costs.     So it is interesting what you can do for a day without having to outlay too much.

But those "retire on 550 USD/month" websites/videos have been beaten to death.   And TVF users did a lot of the beating.   Would be interesting to see what $$ minimum budget the new Thailand retirement blogs are quoting now.

Is it possible , yes sure . Give me the chance and i prob can shave of a few bahts more , since food and drink is cheap . But it would be no fun , which doesnt mean its bad to do it from time to time , when you are living there . Stay away from bars and woman and you can save a lot of cash . Make your own food and drink some water and you not spend a lot during your days . But like i said , you cut out all the fun , so as a tourist i would not recommend it . As part of living there , yes , do it a few times a week , just to have a relaxing day .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

As stated, Chris’s video doesn’t take into account bigger expenses such as rent, internet, insurance or health and medical costs.

Then don't say

Thailand on a budget - could you live in Bangkok on 300 baht per day?

When what you mean is can you eat for 300 baht a day in Bangkok....

Actually it should be entitled:  "What I spend in a day in Bangkok".  What one needs to live in a city versus what one actually spends on a per day basis is quite different.  I have seen some of his videos and he has good content.  

Years ago a guy did a 100 Baht per day  spending in Bangkok and this was rather good.  Of course this guy ate at the local food stands that was charging 30 baht per meal.  Doubt most foreigners can get buy on 100 baht per day.  

• Like 1

300 baht a day, sure most of the Thais live on this.. but alas, I am not Thai

Living on the cheap, is very doable in Thailand.

110 SQ. M. Home, not including outdoor spaces
4 rai land
Outdoor security lighting is solar

Two air cons, small swimming pool
food, internet, fuel for motorbike, usual basic living expenses

Only paying 10-12,000 baht per month here in the village. My overall budget is 15,000 per month that includes a few nice dinners in the city and one annual trip to the beach. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

EhszhcWVoAAVzb3.jpg

Bangkok, like the rest of Thailand, is renowned for its low cost of living and affordability for expats.

And while some data suggests that Thai capital perhaps isn’t as cheap as it once was (where is?), it still remains an affordable option for expat life, especially when compared to the cost of living in major cities in Europe or the United States.

But just how expensive is Bangkok? Is it still possible to live frugally?

Thailand based YouTuber Chris Parker AKA Retired Working For You, set himself the challenge of living in Bangkok on just $10 or approximately 300 baht per day.

In his video, Chris manages to buy his breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and even has enough money for a beer at the end of the day. He also travels around the city, taking in some of Bangkok’s most affordable (free) tourist attractions.

In total, Chris spends $9.90 or 308 baht. 

But it does show parts of life in Bangkok are still more than doable for those on a budget.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-27

sure, and Chris doesn't have health insurance or doesn't count it in his expenses.

"As stated, Chris’s video doesn’t take into account bigger expenses such as rent, internet, insurance or health and medical costs."

what good is the video then?

totally useless

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, timendres said:

Have easily managed on 200 baht a day, excluding the items that he does.

My daughter currently lives in Lamphun on 5,500bht/month (4 months unpaid work experience).

2,500bht for her room (inc fan, internet, electricity, water), 100bht/day for food and living expenses.

I know expats living on small pensions.  They get by, but not sure I'd want to live in a box (room with bed).

One should relocate to Thailand for a better standard of living, than one would have back in the home country.  But to come here because you can't afford to live back home--is living on the edge.  Currencies gyrate and you have no control of it.  If you don't have the means to leave Thailand at any given time--then you risk financial disaster, by coming here to live.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1