What actually happens to people caught working online?

On 2/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jingthing said:

Spot on.

Thailand would do well to introduce a specialized digital nomad type visa. It could be a cash cow for them and provide visa stability for its users.

"cash cow".....who volunteers to be a cow? Not me ????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, ChipButty said:

Is playing the Stock markets seen as gambling in Thailand?

Heh, here in my office they try to act like some financial tycoons, but it’s really no different than playing the slots, hoping to get in and out at the right times. Sometimes the machine’s “hot”, until it is not, when anyone left playing is left holding the bag. This was particularly clearly seen in the GameStop debacle, which even my students here were familiar with and talking about. Among the adults, they were going off about that OR IPO that happened a few weeks ago, talking the stock up to others after they had bought theirs, who then sell after their shilling bumps up the price.

You go dancing with elephants it's inevitable that you'll get crushed. 

Just keep things to yourself and don't ask for trouble. 

This question comes up on TVF periodically and the consensus is always the same. 

4 hours ago, gearbox said:

"cash cow".....who volunteers to be a cow? Not me ????

What I meant is that if Thailand offered a digital nomad visa they could charge a pretty penny for it. (It's cliche time.) Also they could pair that with doing something they haven't done before, aggressively going after digital nomads for work permit violations, so they could quite simply FORCE those people to pay up or get out.

Portrait of a digital nomad with cash cow visa in Thailand:

cash.thumb.jpeg.c45399d5697cdf7ac386b5f720d6e77f.jpeg

OP, go to the source.

Walk into an immigration office and ask. It's straight forward and simple.

The sane applies to Ministry of Finance. (TAXES)

Do everyone here a service, and report back your findings in Thai or English text.

Happy hunting

2 minutes ago, Bradmeister said:

OP, go to the source.

Do everyone here a service, and report back your findings in Thai or English text.

Happy hunting

Do not do that!

I don't know why Thailand don't have a "digital nomad" visa. Many countries have introduced something like it. If you're staying for a few months then the mandatory quarantine shouldn't be an issue, and after that those people are spending money in-country and contributing to the economy.

18 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

OP, go to the source.

Happy hunting

Forst of all, never walk into any government office asking what will hapoen if yo uare caught doing soentgibg illegal

\Secondly the Immigration office can advise only whether or not a particular visa or extension type permits work in Thailand (retirement extension = no). Tyoes of work and what the definition of work is, comes under the Labor department

You willnot get any useful info from either ion the issue of working online for a non-Thai employer with payment outside of Thailand, it is a grey area. Technically it does require a work permit and is nto possible on a retirement extension. However it is imposisbel to get a work visa and work permit for it. In practice people do it and it is toelrated as long as:

Kept low key

No related to work in Thailand and not paid by a Thai source

Nothibg illegal

Archived