Fluid in both feet

Meat Pie 47

As the title says I acquired a lot of fluid in my feet, they are very swollen at night time a bit better at day time but still swollen. So is there any connection to my poor blood circulation in my legs or is it is a separate issue? Any advice from anybody who got the same problem? I do take medications for other illness so I don't like to take more medications. So what can I do ?

There is a possibility that the medication are are currently taking contributes to the fluid build up on your feet. 

My father suffers from the same thing (at 82 yrs old), its being blamed on his medication but I don’t quite buy that. 

There are also articles and websites (i.e. WebMd) which suggest swollen feet and ankles are due to circulating issues. 

----------

I have suffered swollen legs / ankles to some degree since 35yrs old (so I suspect the condition is genetic). 

I’ve noticed my ankles swell up more after I play football (I’m 46 and still pay football regularly) - this used to happen sometimes in my 20’s after a particularly gruelling game. 

As I age, I’ve also noticed my ankles swell up if I’m on my feet a lot (i.e. all day at a shopping mall etc)

I think one of the biggest contributors is Alcohol - If I’ve been on the sauce for 2-3 evenings in a row I’ll notice my ankles swell up - thus the issue could a result of dehydration.

I deal with the ’swollen ankle’ issue by sitting with my feet up whenever I can, I also regularly wear compressing socks or calf compression (skins). 

My dad had this for years, they investigated all the common causes of this 'edema' and found nothing wrong with his heart, etc.

This dates back some 15 years or so and has been ongoing.

Recently (December) he was also short of breath, he was then diagnosed as having a bit of 'heart block' which is faulty nerve signalling to the heart (that was a new issue for him) so they sent him into hospital to get a pacemaker fitted - when he came out a few days later they put him on some powerful diuretic tablets named Furosemide which are used for the treatment of high blood pressure and edema (swelling due to water retention - it sounds like this is what you have).

The issue with this one (Furosemide) is that it can cause your blood pressure to drop very low, especially if taken with other meds for high blood pressure like Lisinopril for example.

These meds dehydrated him to the point that he required hospitalisation again a couple of weeks later (he was massively over medicated) - they sorted that out by rehydrating him and stopping the blood pressure meds so it was nothing too serious that required ICU but he felt like <deleted> for a few weeks whilst dehydrated but as a result of taking the Furosemide the foot swelling completely disappeared while he was deteriorating due to dehydration and it hasn't come back.....yet.

They stopped the furosemide as he doesn't really have high blood pressure any more and the dose was absurdly high for his measurements  - it caused his dehydration and subsequent kidney infection.

Inside the little story above is one way to solve your problem but you need to see a Doctor because mixing meds like this with anything else requires careful consideration and can lead to the situation my Dad was in a couple of weeks ago if you or even your Doctor are not very careful.

Also based on what happened above - I would double check everything - this all happened in England over the last 5 or 6 weeks.

My Dads solution to the above was to wear 'crocs' for years as his regular shoes didn't fit him but there are treatments which involve powerful drugs that can make it go away.....

Edited by ukrules

You mention having "poor circulation". That will certainly cause swelling. As would a number of other medical conditions many of them quite serious. And, some medications will do this.

1. What type of circulatory disorder do you have?diagnosed how?being tteated how?

What othet known medical problems do you have?

What medications do you take?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Hi Meat Pie

I have had a look at your previous post and I can see 6 replies, including some very helpful responses.

Your previous post is here:

Well I never got any replays on my post but maybe it was misdirected, Thanks for posting them

Do you take a hypertension drug based on nefidipine? This can cause swelling in the lower legs and feet (fluid retention). It certainly does in my case.  The answer is to take hydrochlorothiazide (25 0r 50 mg) daily.  They are cheap and available OTC at any pharmacy.

I suggest you get it checked out by a doctor before you start HCTZ in case there is another reason.

10 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well I never got any replays on my post but maybe it was misdirected, Thanks for posting them

You received 6 replies to your post including one from me which included some questions you did not respond to.

This is often a sign of heart failure but can also result from kidney disease and liver cirrhisis. Also sometimes a side effect from amlodipine or related medications.

To avoid confusion I have merged the earlier post and this post, as people were replying in both of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You received 6 replies to your post including one from me which included some questions you did not respond to.

This is often a sign of heart failure but can also result from kidney disease and liver cirrhisis. Also sometimes a side effect from amlodipine or related medications.

To avoid confusion I have merged the earlier post and this post, as people were replying in both of them.

Thanks Sheryl I did not reply to any of you because I wasn't able to do so.

Now I do have bad circulation in my legs which suppose to have been

fixed by a surgery but due to covid-19 the operation got cancelled and

yes my heart is OK so I might wait till I get a new date for surgery.

20 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

What kind of surgery? Referring to the procedure to help with 'bad circulation.'

I have this issue but since I have been exercising it has gone away. I recommend walking or weightlifting and I'm quite sure you will see a reduction in lymph fluid built up.

Chili! I'm no doctor but exercise (or stretches) along with a bit of chili is what I strongly suggest.

2 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

What kind of surgery? Referring to the procedure to help with 'bad circulation.'

I have this issue but since I have been exercising it has gone away. I recommend walking or weightlifting and I'm quite sure you will see a reduction in lymph fluid built up.

Chili! I'm no doctor but exercise (or stretches) along with a bit of chili is what I strongly suggest.

Yes the surgery was to improve the circulation in my legs

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

From the sounds of it he has peripheral vascular disease. The exercises you recommend will nto help with that and might even be contraindicated.

OP follow up with your doctors re surgery date, in many parts of the country hospitals have resumed normal scheduling.

But also if your last doctor visit was some  time ago do nto assume this is all just due to that and that there is nto something else going on making it worse. You need to be checked.

Meanwhile, elastic stockings and elevated your legs will give some degree of relief.

40 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I suffer with swollen ankles/feet, I was told that I have poor circulation in my lower legs, ie the blood isn't returning to the heart as it should, I have a couple of bolsters under my mattress to elevate my ankles/feet above my heart whilst sleeping, I recently had surgery under general anaesthetic for an unrelated problem & of course had my heart checked out with that machine with all the wires and stuff, a chest x ray and bloods done, all ok so not a heart problem.

In the morning my ankles are fine, as the day progresses they swell, I try to keep them raised as much as I can, I have also started walking, not far as my knees and back play up these days, but about 30 minutes is enough to get the heart and lungs going, ????

A question for @Sheryl, I take Amplodine for high blood pressure, 2 x 5mg, 1 when I wake the other before I go to sleep, should I consider talking to a Dr about changing my meds/dose ? Thanks in advance. ????

Edited by Golden Triangle
Spelling

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

I suffer with swollen ankles/feet, I was told that I have poor circulation in my lower legs, ie the blood isn't returning to the heart as it should, I have a couple of bolsters under my mattress to elevate my ankles/feet above my heart whilst sleeping, I recently had surgery under general anaesthetic for an unrelated problem & of course had my heart checked out with that machine with all the wires and stuff, a chest x ray and bloods done, all ok so not a heart problem.

In the morning my ankles are fine, as the day progresses they swell, I try to keep the raised as much as I can, I have also started walking, not far as my knees and back play up these days, but about 30 minutes is enough to get the heart and lungs going, ????

A question for @Sheryl, I take Amplodine for high blood pressure, 2 x 5mg, 1 when I wake the other before I go to sleep, should I consider talking to a Dr about changing my meds/dose ? Thanks in advance. ????

1. The "machine with all the wires and stuff" is an EKG and will catch only certain things., It does not rule out underlying coronary artery disease. You can have a perfectly normal EKG today and die of a heart attack tomorrow. And since you have hypertesnion you are by definition at elevated risk. A more comprehensive cardiac screening every couple of years would be advisable.

2. Swollen feet/ankles is a known side effect of amlodipine and you are on a comparatively high dose of it. So yes, you should discuss with your doctor a change of medication and/or dose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

And the posts includes a logical/valuable reply from Dr. Sheryl, perhaps you should reply and get some professional information from her. Her advice is always well focused.

• Thanks 1

I "enjoy" interstitial edema.....feet look like someone has pumped them up from time to time...do you take a calcium channel blocker for any of your other ailments?

Oh dear...just seen this item 2 on Sheryl's comment....soz

Edited by Surelynot