Renewing 1 Year Visa. Embassy VS Immigration.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, DrJack54 said:

Don't follow your thread at all. The amount of paperwork is not as onerous as your making out. 

The 400k baht (approx 13k usd) in Thai bank you can't afford? Alternatively can use income method.

The money does not need to remain in bank after you obtain extension. You can use it to live off. 

If you time it right, with an 12 month extension to non O (marriage) you could obtain a reentry permit and still visit usa and return in time for your next annual extension.

The requirements more than likely vary from Office to Office, Officer to Officer. The basic essentials for the visa are A. the Marriage Cert. B. 400,000 Baht in bank or income and C. the TM-7 forms. Then extras are things like the maps, pictures, her Tabbien Baan, your rental or lease agreement, etc. It all depends on where you go and what Immigration Officer you speak with. Does this sound right? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 3:06 PM, fishtank said:

Very little paperwork actually. 400,000 in a Thai bank or 40,000 monthly income.

I am sure your Wife can draw a simple map to your house. Takes one minute.

1,900 Baht fee.

Also, I have fallen under the impression that I have to get the marriage visa OUTSIDE of Thailand and my home country embassy and then obtain the one year extension at immigration in Thailand. Any truth to the line of thought or can I obtain the marriage visa in at immigration? 

9 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

Also, I have fallen under the impression that I have to get the marriage visa OUTSIDE of Thailand and my home country embassy and then obtain the one year extension at immigration in Thailand. Any truth to the line of thought or can I obtain the marriage visa in at immigration? 

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at a embassy or consulate or at immigration.

The advantage of getting the non-o visa at a embassy or consulate is that it allows more time to put the 400k baht in a Thai bank after your arrive.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage at a embassy or consulate or at immigration.

The advantage of getting the non-o visa at a embassy or consulate is that it allows more time to put the 400k baht in a Thai bank after your arrive.

Thanks again ubonjoe. I dont have a bank account or the cert yet. I will more than likely focus on obtaining thoes two on this trip and be on a 6 month or 1 year ED visa if they are still doing them. 

On 3/15/2021 at 7:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

Will there be any issues if we do not live with each other? She does not own a house and rents an apartment. Also, the money needs to be cleared in the bank by 2 months?

3 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Will there be any issues if we do not live with each other? She does not own a house and rents an apartment. Also, the money needs to be cleared in the bank by 2 months?

It has to be a real marriage, a fake marriage won't work. They will make a home visit, want to see that you both live there, and will require witnesses who confirm that you two live there together.

On 3/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, jackdd said:

It has to be a real marriage, a fake marriage won't work. They will make a home visit, want to see that you both live there, and will require witnesses who confirm that you two live there together.

lol. so if we dont live together its not a real marriage? not making a lot of sense to me!!!

1 hour ago, racinkc1 said:

lol. so if we dont live together its not a real marriage? not making a lot of sense to me!!!

That's what most people would say, yes. Except in rare circumstances where they have to live apart due to work requirements or similar.

The main purpose of the marriage visa/extension is to allow you to live together. If you don't want to live together, why should Thailand give you a visa/extension?

Archived