Assistance please.

malt25

Hi all. Some help please. First up, I'm not all that IT savvy. Ok, I've been using outlook 07 for email for many years. Outlook 07 is no longer supported. I need to purchase a new "program", I think. I've had a look at 365 & outlook 19 but not being all that knowledgeable with this stuff, I'm really not sure where to go. I'm currently using a "borrowed" outlook 16 but it needs to be  registered & I don't have the appropriate code.

Beside email I also use word a fair bit. Hope this makes some sense.

Any advice, info will be most appreciated. Cheers.

For less than £50 you can subscribe to MS Office 365, get all Office apps, 1TB of One Drive storage, 100 minutes on Skype and regular updates. For me, a no brainer.

Or you could go for Libre Office, FREE.

If only for emails, MAIL is included in W10.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Hi all. Some help please. First up, I'm not all that IT savvy. Ok, I've been using outlook 07 for email for many years. Outlook 07 is no longer supported. I need to purchase a new "program", I think. I've had a look at 365 & outlook 19 but not being all that knowledgeable with this stuff, I'm really not sure where to go. I'm currently using a "borrowed" outlook 16 but it needs to be  registered & I don't have the appropriate code.

I'm still using Outlook 2007 with no problems

18 minutes ago, treetops said:

Same here.

OP.  It hasn't been supported for 3.5 years so what has made you act now?

I inadvertently deleted it. Have been told I can't download it again ???

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Windows 10.  Oh, I meant uninstall & not delete.

I agree with KannikaP.  If you just need email, use the Mail feature in Windows 10.  But since you do use Word, I would recommend 365.  I use Outlook, Excel, and Word quite a bit so I subscribe to Office 365 and am happy with it.  There are probably cheaper alternatives, but I've used Office for years and don't want to learn new software.

Thanks guys. I was very familiar with Outlook 07 after so many years. Only just starting to know, like 16. I think 365 is the way to go in the long term. I guess if I can operate 07 & 16 then the 365 shouldn't take too long to fathom. Best to purchase from Microsoft ? Once I install it will all my  current Outlook files be automatically transferred ?

Thanks again all  ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malt25 said:

Thanks guys. I was very familiar with Outlook 07 after so many years. Only just starting to know, like 16. I think 365 is the way to go in the long term. I guess if I can operate 07 & 16 then the 365 shouldn't take too long to fathom. Best to purchase from Microsoft ? Once I install it will all my  current Outlook files be automatically transferred ?

Thanks again all  ????

Probably best to purchase from Microsoft and as I recall all my files automatically transferred...but I didn't make as big a jump in versions so I can't guarantee it.

Subscribe to Office 365. It's very good and not expensive and if you have it you won't have any hassle.

Here you can get information in English

Buy Microsoft 365 Family & Personal Subscriptions (Formerly Office 365) – Microsoft Store

And here is the Thai page where you should subscribe. Often software is less expensive in Thailand (and you can use it with English menus) 

ซื้อการสมัครใช้งาน Microsoft 365 Family และ Personal (ชื่อเดิม Office 365) - Microsoft Store

31 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

For several years I use OPENOFFICE, simpler, efficient, scalable, open source and therefore free.

Try for a while before spending the first baht in MS suites

Effective online FAQs to familiarize you at the beginning.

Open Office is obviously an alternative. But many people who are not familiar with computers want as little change as possible and they are willing to pay for that. In my experience Microsoft is best for most of these people. And likely most other people they know will also use Microsoft products. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Subscribe to Office 365. It's very good and not expensive and if you have it you won't have any hassle.

Here you can get information in English

Buy Microsoft 365 Family & Personal Subscriptions (Formerly Office 365) – Microsoft Store

And here is the Thai page where you should subscribe. Often software is less expensive in Thailand (and you can use it with English menus) 

ซื้อการสมัครใช้งาน Microsoft 365 Family และ Personal (ชื่อเดิม Office 365) - Microsoft Store

I have never used subscription-based software because I'm allergic to the idea, but I would like to know more about it.

What happens to your emails when the subscription expires?

Is there the option to download the emails in pop3 style and to keep a local copy of them?

Is it still possible to read the emails after expiration of the subscription?

17 minutes ago, tgw said:

I have never used subscription-based software because I'm allergic to the idea, but I would like to know more about it.

What happens to your emails when the subscription expires?

Is there the option to download the emails in pop3 style and to keep a local copy of them?

Is it still possible to read the emails after expiration of the subscription?

You can keep all email locally on your computer, no problem.

And the email account can be completely independent from your subscription.

I.e. you can use a free email account i.e. from Microsoft like @hotmail.com or @live.com. Then you can use Outlook to send and receive emails. But you can also use webmail or another free offline mail program.

Personally I used for many years, lets call it Pantip software. It all worked and I didn't have any problems. Recently I wanted to use a newer version of Office and I though about doing that as usual. But then I check on the MS page about their prices. It's cheap and they deduct the money monthly. So I though: Just subscribe, it works, it will be updated all the time, no hassle.

I am not sure if I saw it on the Microsoft page or somewhere else. They showed a price but they also showed something like "two cappuccino per month" or something like that to put that price into perspective. I spend a LOT more money on expresso compared to what I pay for my software subscriptions. So if I give MS a coffee or two a month I can afford that.

1 minute ago, don43451 said:

Probably best to purchase from Microsoft and as I recall all my files automatically transferred...but I didn't make as big a jump in versions so I can't guarantee it.

Thanks.

21 hours ago, malt25 said:

If you want Microsoft Office 2007 back, it's in your Inbox.

An alternative would be to purchase Microsoft Office 2016, as it is supported until October 2025. Around 1250 baht.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-2016-Home-and-Business-E-S-D-Word-Excel-Outlook-PowerPoint-OneN/333896759668

Also 2013: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-2013-Home-and-Business-E-S-D-Word-Excel-Outlook-PowerPoint-OneN/333874044189 Supported until April 2023 Around 1100 baht. 2016 better value.

Forget about the subscription model; it's likely not for you. You'll be paying for things that you do not use.

Home & Business does not contain Publisher and Access, only:

Microsoft Word      
Microsoft Excel      
Microsoft PowerPoint      
Microsoft OneNote      
Microsoft Outlook