Looking for Doctor Who Can Work With PTSD

ArcticFox

9 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

I'm looking for an English speaking doctor/counselor who can work with a patient with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder issues in the Chiang Mai region.  

PTSD can mean many different things, manifested in behavior, in perception; there can be neurological issues, and many other types of  psychosomatic (but, very real) issues.

The degree to which the person you seek help for recognizes their problem and voluntarily seeks help is as important as their physical health, and their current lifestyle (drug abuse ? alcohol abuse ? insomnia ?  food-related disorders ? depression ? anger-management ?).

Without more details ... which I understand you may be reluctant to post here ... that is all I can say. But, I applaud your concern and desire to help this person. A true friend can make a big difference !

~o:37;

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

PTSD can mean many different things, manifested in behavior, in perception; there can be neurological issues, and many other types of  psychosomatic (but, very real) issues.

The degree to which the person you seek help for recognizes their problem and voluntarily seeks help is as important as their physical health, and their current lifestyle (drug abuse ? alcohol abuse ? insomnia ?  food-related disorders ? depression ? anger-management ?).

Without more details ... which I understand you may be reluctant to post here ... that is all I can say. But, I applaud your concern and desire to help this person. A true friend can make a big difference !

~o:37;

This isn't about a friend.  It's about me dealing with issues that started over 3 decades ago.  It's nothing I'm going to share online.  Which is why I'm looking for an English speaking doctor/counselor who can work with a patient with PTSD as I'm tired of coping with it without assistance.

Edited by ArcticFox

2 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

This isn't about a friend.  It's about me dealing with issues that started over 3 decades ago.  It's nothing I'm going to share online.  Which is why I'm looking for an English speaking doctor/counselor who can work with a patient with PTSD as I'm tired of coping with it without assistance.

Best to post in the health forum, get better replies there

• Like 1

By far the best approach to PTSD -- and as far as I know the only one found to achieve a real cure - is EMDR (eye movement desensitization & reprocessing).

However it is very important to receive this from someone properly trained and accredited in it. There are people claiming to offer it who are not so credentialed.

In Thailand particularly, there are westerners offering various therapies with little or no formal qualifications so need to really do your homework before entrusting yourself to someone's care. Caveat empeur. I myself underwent EMDR and can attest to its effectiveness when done with a properly trained professional. but as it does deal with trauma, should be wary of working with someone not properly and formally trained.

The International EMDR association lists only one Thai parctioner, a doctor at Samitivej Srinakarin in Bangkok

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/doctor/detail/kitti-skaoratanayothin

and looks like he may specialize in children though you could contact the hospital and ask if he can provide EMDR to adults

There is a Dutch pyschologist in Chiang Mai who is said to offer EMDR, I don't know where/how trained but general feedback on her has been positive, I suggest you contact her and ask specifically about her credentials/training of EMDR:  http://www.mindbloom.nl/

it is also possible that there are others not listed with the international EMDR association so i suggest you contact the Thai EMDR association and ask about any practitioners who are fluent in English

https://emdrthailand.org/contact

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiEMDR/

• Thanks 1