3bb internet speed in Chiang Mai varying from fast to unusable sluggish

orang37

I am on their cheap ADSL plan, and, beginning two months ago, there was a dramatic improvement in download speeds (torrents) and web-page loading. The last 3~5 days here torrent downloads have slowed to a snail-pace (independent of number of peers/seeders, independent of using VPN ... independent of weekday/weekend day, tome of day/night).

Recent SpeedTest: 

PING ms 1
 DOWNLOAD Mbps 947.79
 UPLOAD Mbps 310.73

Current qBittorrent download speed of a torrent with 59 seeders and 48  peers" 20,5K.

Is it possible that 3bb is capping downloads ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Max speed for DSL (actually it's VDSL, not ADSL) in Thailand is 50/20Mbps.

At first you should figure out which internet connection you actually have

thanks, I know they haven't changed the wire into my house for two years. i thought it was adsl ... maybe it's fiber ?

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Generally yes for torrent stuff.

But how could they identify what happens via VPN?
What VPN do you use?

I  use 3bb and the torents on my QNAP NAS drive go quite fast over 1MB sec. Depending on seeders ect. This is based on linux, I don't use torrents on my computer as the linux app i have on the NAS does a far better job far safer too.

16 minutes ago, orang37 said:

thanks, I know they haven't changed the wire into my house for two years. i thought it was adsl ... maybe it's fiber ?

As written such numbers are out of reach with ADSL.

Also a ping of 1 ms is extraordinary.

How to find out what you have?

Enter this to the address field of the browser:

and enter.

This should bring up the welcome/login of the router and show the model number.

Which is it?

Fiber typically this:

router.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

As written such numbers are out of reach with ADSL.

Also a ping of 1 ms is extraordinary.

How to find out what you have?

Enter this to the address field of the browser:

and enter.

This should bring up the welcome/login of the router and show the model number.

Which is it?

Fiber typically this:

router.jpg

Thanks, Chrome can't load that page:, Edge did, and it's a similar page, with different graphics.

5 hours ago, orang37 said:

PureVPN, thanks.

Quite sure that your torrent downloads are not going through that VPN of yours... Hence why the slow speeds. 

5 hours ago, orang37 said:

I am on their cheap ADSL plan, and, beginning two months ago, there was a dramatic improvement in download speeds (torrents) and web-page loading. The last 3~5 days here torrent downloads have slowed to a snail-pace (independent of number of peers/seeders, independent of using VPN ... independent of weekday/weekend day, tome of day/night).

Recent SpeedTest: 

PING ms 1
 DOWNLOAD Mbps 947.79
 UPLOAD Mbps 310.73

Current qBittorrent download speed of a torrent with 59 seeders and 48  peers" 20,5K.

Is it possible that 3bb is capping downloads ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Very probably they are. It is a basic function of networking to have the ability to manage the bandwidth available.

Edited by upu2

3BB don’t give a damn about torrents - they won’t throttle you.

First step should be to check with 3BB and describe the issue, they should send some decent technicians to check the cabling.

Then it’s not a bad idea to arrange a callback from the ISP team, just request it from the help desk, tell them you are getting varying speeds.

Their English is good, you can explain that you are using torrents and you are experiencing disappointing  DL speed. They can check everything down the line, and tell you of everything is performing as expected, they can remote into your machine and make sure everything is cool, if need be. The guy I speak to is really cool, ask them anything and then you will understand that they don’t care what you do with your connection. 

Are all your ports forwarded?

I have the gigabit package - I just topped out a torrent at 115Mb/s.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:54 PM, connda said:

I've got the fibre optic plan for 600 THB a month.  It's smoking fast.

Some advice please.  I was disappointed with 3 BB fibre in Chiang Mai South [Padaed] because although the speed was good the service would regularly crash and I would have to wait minutes for it to be resumed.

I changed to TRUE, that has been a disaster.  The outages are far more frequent. 

On both services the speed was super fast when connected.

What /who should I use for a reliable service in Chiang Mai

3 hours ago, peterpop said:

Some advice please.  I was disappointed with 3 BB fibre in Chiang Mai South [Padaed] because although the speed was good the service would regularly crash and I would have to wait minutes for it to be resumed.

I changed to TRUE, that has been a disaster.  The outages are far more frequent. 

On both services the speed was super fast when connected.

What /who should I use for a reliable service in Chiang Mai

What do the ISP say when you question them? I know most of the time they don't have an answer but if it’s a regular occurrence then there should be a reason.

My synology NAS sends me an email when it can’t communicate with the DDNS service. Just for an example, i think I can count the number of alerts I get per year on one hand, usually these aren’t down to the ISP. 

Thanks for your reply but you are not local.  I can never get any sensible reply from local ISPs.  They only admit to always playing catch up.  Is this the same in other countries.  I suspect it is only Thailand that is so far behind in providing a decent service.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, peterpop said:

Totally happy with 3BB in MaeJo.

Biggest problem is my rabbit chomping through the fibre cable, but they always fix it within 24hrs.

• Like 1