The sky is burning (again)

billd766

@billd766

Another thought about dead trees and disposing of them - smaller trees in MiL's plots are usually handled by the family (or the lady herself, past 70 and going strong). For the larger ones, dead or in need of cutting, she calls in these guys to cut it. Pickup, basic equipment, not much know-how, but get the job done. Usually take the wood for sale or making charcoal. Basically free or near enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, Morch said:

Usually take the wood for sale or making charcoal.

That's a good one.

Good for health and the PM2.5 numbers.

In our village each morning and each late afternoon these numbers are rising,

e.g. from 120 ug/m3  to  320 ug/m3. - Maipen rai?  -   It' s only about one hour...

Some info, Thai, English subtitles,  3:09

On 2/28/2021 at 9:51 PM, billd766 said:

The bad news is that the province has only had 2.7ml of rain since 24th November last year

Hate to post this build, but 2.7ml is only a spoonful. No wonder the trees have not regrown their leaves.

Over here in north Isaan, we have only had a few mms since end of October,

• Like 1

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Hate to post this build, but 2.7ml is only a spoonful. No wonder the trees have not regrown their leaves.

Over here in north Isaan, we have only had a few mms since end of October,

On 3rd March the province got 16.7mm of rain and on the 4th the province got 29.6mm of rain. I say the province as that the Kamphaeng Phet is the only weather centre in the province.

We live 65 km to the southwest. Many has been the time when I have gone to pick my son up from school 14 km away and driven through the dry patch, rain, dry patch, rain etc.

Our water supply is rain fed from the Mae Wong national park which at Chong Yen is just over 1,000 metre AMSL.

There has been talk of throwing a dam across the klong at the narrowest part of the valley (900 metres across and perhaps 20 metre high) since we came her some 16 years ago. They even did a survey which got filed and ignored. Now there is talk of diverting the road so that it will be above the hypothetical dam but Thais are great at talking but little on the actual doing.

IF it ever comes off I doubt if I will see it in my lifetime as I am 76,

• Like 1

We had a 45 minute power outage this afternoon followed by a distant thunderstorm  and light rain for an hour. I went to pick my son up around 5:15 and the rain stopped about 4km down the road. Enough to get the grass growing and the concrete wet but nothing more.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:07 AM, canopy said:

You might blame them if you knew burning is simply pleasure for them just like smoking a cigarette. I come from the largest corn producing nation in the world. I have never seen a corn field burned there and the farmers make a good living. Yet in Thailand it would be unimaginable for a corn field to be left unburned. No one is encouraging them to burn and it depletes the soil and promotes erosion making them poorer. And as you say what they burn off often has other profitable uses; think straw bales, sileage and many others. The farmers position is it's their land and they do as they please and if you don't like it then tough luck. They will refuse any alternative and don't care if they or you are getting sick. If you aren't sure of what I say is true, ask a few farmers why they burn. You will become enlightened when instead of telling a sad tale of nail biting profitability they instead blow smoke in your face. Government programs, education, and awareness will never work because they do not address the root cause. Strict enforcement is the answer, but nobody wants that.

Farms are not the only thing being burned. So are the forests and everyone's daily heap of plastic. Anything that can burn in this country is burned to a crisp.

Thai's love the smell of smoke, cyanide from burning plastic bags is a bonus

• Sad 1