Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Steps required after farang death in Thailand.


Recommended Posts

Hopefully I have a ways to go, but in the event of my passing in Thailand, what steps does the Thai Mrs. have to take to have my body cremated in Thailand and obtain a death certificate to be translated and certified for use in obtaining my superannuation funds in Australia? If I do not have a formal will, can she have my body cremated here? I do not want my body sent back to Oz.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two "authorities" that should be notified ASAP,: first is the police, second is the Embassy or Consul appropriate to the National concerned. The embassy will give advice on procedure from their point of view.

Edited by ChrisKC
added comment
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, natural causes have nothing to do with it. If a Farang dies outside a hospital, their body is automatically sent to the police hospital in Bangkok for an autopsy. That occurred with two of my friends who passed on.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above are valid recommendations. There is a "probate' in Thailand. The OP really should pay for a will. Maybe consider a medical directive. Save so much hassle for his loved ones. Probate is not fast in Thailand, nor is is fast in other countries. There may be important information in English on respective Embassy websites to help you understand the procedure. The fun of autos registered in a province a far distance from from the widow, how fussy those banks can be, and the joy of collecting survivors benefits or stopping social security payments. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think might get cremated locally ~ ashes scattered in the Mekong.Also maybe half of them on Ilkley Moor (if they can stick me in the post, that is) 🙂

Expatriation of a body can cost an arm and a leg (pardon the pun)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KC 71 said:

I think might get cremated locally ~ ashes scattered in the Mekong.Also maybe half of them on Ilkley Moor (if they can stick me in the post, that is) 🙂

Expatriation of a body can cost an arm and a leg (pardon the pun)

Repatriation sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KC 71 said:

I think might get cremated locally ~ ashes scattered in the Mekong.Also maybe half of them on Ilkley Moor (if they can stick me in the post, that is) 🙂

Expatriation of a body can cost an arm and a leg (pardon the pun)

Is there a legal requirement to cremate the body? or can it just be tossed into the hospital trash bin er I mean donated to medical science......

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It doesn't matter how much we're worth, we all peg-it one day.

Granted. Point being, others have had that day brought forward somewhat when certain unscrupulous individuals have worked out that moneys can be sought on one's demise.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KC 71 said:

I think might get cremated locally ~ ashes scattered in the Mekong.Also maybe half of them on Ilkley Moor (if they can stick me in the post, that is) 🙂

Expatriation of a body can cost an arm and a leg (pardon the pun)


with or without “tat”?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, toolpush said:

As far as I know, natural causes have nothing to do with it. If a Farang dies outside a hospital, their body is automatically sent to the police hospital in Bangkok for an autopsy. That occurred with two of my friends who passed on.

 

An old farang neighbour died on the beach last year - body went from beach to hospital, and then onto a temple the next day.  No trip to Bangkok.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

May I also suggest that you contact your Australian super fund to find out what their requirements are if you pass away OS.  I contacted my fund a few years ago and found that my super fund provides benefits (pension or lump sum) deposited electronically into an Australian-based bank account - no they cannot send monthly cheques overseas, no they cannot transfer funds to an overseas bank, it has to be an Australian-based bank.  Thus, my now ex partner, would have had to travel to Australia and opened a bank account in Australia to receive any benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 4:11 PM, LarryLEB said:

In Thailand, the phrase "reputable lawyer" can be something of an oxymoron.

Somebody wants a defamation lawsuit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 8:54 AM, JimHuaHin said:

May I also suggest that you contact your Australian super fund to find out what their requirements are if you pass away OS.  I contacted my fund a few years ago and found that my super fund provides benefits (pension or lump sum) deposited electronically into an Australian-based bank account - no they cannot send monthly cheques overseas, no they cannot transfer funds to an overseas bank, it has to be an Australian-based bank.  Thus, my now ex partner, would have had to travel to Australia and opened a bank account in Australia to receive any benefits.

 

Good point. I assume my sister's Australian bank account would be sufficient given she is the beneficiary. She will then send to my Mrs in Thailand as per my wishes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I am a 61 year old male foreigner in Thailand, married to a Thai spouse, staying by use of yearly 'marriage visa' extensions.

 

I would appreciate some info about MAKING A WILL here, in order for my wife to more easily deal with matters here in Thailand when I die.

 

Does the making of any will HAVE TO involve lawyers? (Pefer not to if not necassary.)

Can I simply type it out in English myself and then my wife makes a directly-translated Thai version?

 

Or does it have to involve lawyers and legals stamps etc? 

 

By the way, I am already familiar with the need for witnesses and so on. What I would like to know is the format of the will and what is required for it to be legal.

 

Hope some of you kind folks can help.

 

Thanks.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgian national. Married to a Thai. Living in Thailand.

I have a Thai Will for her drafted by lawyers in Pattaya (10k).

In addition, to preclude any possible legal obstructions/delays by the Belgian Embassy as to the disposal of my corpse and needed notification to eventual family in home country when they're notified of my death I have written a formal declaration stating that I have no family outside my wife, thus nobody to be notified in Belgium and that she is the one to dispose of my body as she deems best. 

Written in French, English and Thai. Notarized at the Embassy with copy in my file there.

BTW they said that they will translate, on request by my widow, in French, free, my Thai Certificate of Death.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would contact your embassy and ask them what the procedures are.  I did this with the US embassy and they were fantastic.  Info is even on their website as to what's required.

 

My relative passed outside the hospital, so the body was sent to the police hospital in Bangkok for an autopsy.  This is a real pain in the ass.  Docs need to be translated, transport costs paid, etc.  Definitely need a Thai speaker to help here.  And there were several mistakes by the local police station, so that was no fun sorting out.

 

I'd have a joint bank account.  If you pass, your partner can take out whatever money is there.  No will required.

 

The temple didn't have to provide any paperwork.  The cremation was easy and cheap.  Burial at sea by the Navy in Sattahip, which was a fantastic service.  This temple used oil to cremate.  So, lots of big pieces left that were put into the sea.  The rest fit into a beautiful vase they provided which was mailed back home for burial.  Easy.

 

Great you are trying to organize things now.  Write everything down on a piece of paper.  What your assets are.  Contact info for relatives.  Insurance info, etc.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 12:30 PM, Toolong said:

I am a 61 year old male foreigner in Thailand, married to a Thai spouse, staying by use of yearly 'marriage visa' extensions.

 

I would appreciate some info about MAKING A WILL here, in order for my wife to more easily deal with matters here in Thailand when I die.

 

Does the making of any will HAVE TO involve lawyers? (Pefer not to if not necassary.)

Can I simply type it out in English myself and then my wife makes a directly-translated Thai version?

 

Or does it have to involve lawyers and legals stamps etc? 

 

By the way, I am already familiar with the need for witnesses and so on. What I would like to know is the format of the will and what is required for it to be legal.

 

Hope some of you kind folks can help.

 

Thanks.

 

 

I made a will here in Thailand, as I did back home. The Thai one was because I have a Thai bank account, and winding the estate up in that regard can I heard get complicated without a Thai will. I have property here too, but it will automatically go to my daughter who is Thai as she owns the land the house is built on.

 

The will consists of 5 pages, 2 containing the details, bequests, executors etc etc, a page of signatures and witnesses, a very high resolution glossy photograph of myself signing the will, flanked by the two witnesses. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, photocopies of my passport main pages, including the page containing my last 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

 

They issued 3 copies. One he kept. One for my daughter and one for me. Total cost 4,000 THB. A snip if you ask me. A lawyer in Pattaya Nua who speaks excellent English and has probably drawn up more wills than I've had hot Tom Yam.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Official seals and signatures (even thumbprints) are everything in Asian countries. They convey a sense of legitimacy and trust.

 

Handwritten instructions are best witnessed, stored in duplicates or triplicates and made official by a lawyer or a notary public.  

Edited by mvdf
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 8:43 AM, JimHuaHin said:

 

An old farang neighbour died on the beach last year - body went from beach to hospital, and then onto a temple the next day.  No trip to Bangkok.

That is correct, the body does not get transported to Bangkok. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I made a will here in Thailand, as I did back home. The Thai one was because I have a Thai bank account, and winding the estate up in that regard can I heard get complicated without a Thai will. I have property here too, but it will automatically go to my daughter who is Thai as she owns the land the house is built on.

 

The will consists of 5 pages, 2 containing the details, bequests, executors etc etc, a page of signatures and witnesses, a very high resolution glossy photograph of myself signing the will, flanked by the two witnesses. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, photocopies of my passport main pages, including the page containing my last 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

 

They issued 3 copies. One he kept. One for my daughter and one for me. Total cost 4,000 THB. A snip if you ask me. A lawyer in Pattaya Nua who speaks excellent English and has probably drawn up more wills than I've had hot Tom Yam.

Thanks for your response to my post, Bradiston. Interesting stuff and what you've done sounds sensible and has given me indicators to what I too should do.

However, regarding lawyers,  I have decided, after reading posts here on TV, to look into doing an 'Amphur will', first. I could be wrong - I'll no doubt find out soon - but it sounds not too complcated and COULD be sufficient, and relatively inexpensive. (I am one who shudders at the thought of stepping into any lawyers office! Although with respect, perhaps the one you use is decent - good ones do exist! And 4000baht is certainly reasonable.)

So that's what I'm gonna try first. I'll see how it goes. Will let you know.

 

Cheers. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I made a will here in Thailand, as I did back home. The Thai one was because I have a Thai bank account, and winding the estate up in that regard can I heard get complicated without a Thai will. I have property here too, but it will automatically go to my daughter who is Thai as she owns the land the house is built on.

 

The will consists of 5 pages, 2 containing the details, bequests, executors etc etc, a page of signatures and witnesses, a very high resolution glossy photograph of myself signing the will, flanked by the two witnesses. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, photocopies of my passport main pages, including the page containing my last 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

 

They issued 3 copies. One he kept. One for my daughter and one for me. Total cost 4,000 THB. A snip if you ask me. A lawyer in Pattaya Nua who speaks excellent English and has probably drawn up more wills than I've had hot Tom Yam.

Mind PM-ing me the name of the lawyer, 4000 baht is cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for your response to my post, Bradiston. Interesting stuff and what you've done sounds sensible and has given me indicators to what I too should do.

However, regarding lawyers,  I have decided, after reading posts here on TV, to look into doing an 'Amphur will', first. I could be wrong - I'll no doubt find out soon - but it sounds not too complcated and COULD be sufficient, and relatively inexpensive. (I am one who shudders at the thought of stepping into any lawyers office! Although with respect, perhaps the one you use is decent - good ones do exist! And 4000baht is certainly reasonable.)

So that's what I'm gonna try first. I'll see how it goes. Will let you know.

 

Cheers. 👍

One requirement for a Amphur  will is that you must be able to read and write Thai.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/forms-of-wills-under-thai-law.html

Edited by Asquith Production
add text
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...