Steps required after farang death in Thailand.

johnny1966

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Total cost 4,000 THB. A snip if you ask me. A lawyer in Pattaya Nua who speaks excellent English and has probably drawn up more wills than I've had hot Tom Yam.

Was this recently as sounds very reasonable?

Can you give a name and location as may be of interest to many TV members in Pattaya?

On 3/7/2021 at 5:37 PM, johnny1966 said:

Good point. I assume my sister's Australian bank account would be sufficient given she is the beneficiary. She will then send to my Mrs in Thailand as per my wishes.

The payment of Super to a dependant such as a spouse is tax free. If you pay to your sister first then tax will be payable. It makes sense to look at all angles when doing this planning.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:51 AM, Haveasay said:

On a post recently you could arrange a Thai will, for around 6000 baht. That ensures the Thai authorities do your wishes and I would recommend. 

dud my will at local ampur all translated have copies english and Thai all stamped i have a copy and one is held there all done in half a day no expense couple of hundred baht .. 

4 minutes ago, offset said:

It depends what the police want my friend died last week he had to go to BKK

Where did he die and where did he live ? Over the years the foreigners I knew of in my area who passed on were issued with ( or rather their wives) with a death certificate by a certified doctor when they had been on medication for a known ailment and then back to the house in the box and then later to be cremated. Only one I knew just suddenly collapsed and died and he was taken to the local main hospital to determine cause of death and then the death cert was issued. I just find it unbelievable based on my experience that  some bodies are taken  hundreds of kilometers to BKK and then have to be returned for the funeral.

Dear All,

I raised a question in the Thai Visas, Residency and Work Payments forum about this and there are 127 replies - many of them useful.  I would recommend you read some.

My original post was only about the 400k in the bank I use for my marriage extension.  Everything else is already owned by my wife - house, car, bike, some land etc. so they are not open to dispute.  Also she is registered with my private pension and has a certificate from them with her entitlement.

It was only the 400k I wanted to make sure she got and from the replies I received in that forum I now have solutions.  I do have a will [in English] which leaves all assets in Thailand to my wife [we have been legally married for nearly 15 years] and any assets in the UK to my daughters - but there are none really - just my old bike and a spare set of golf clubs!.

From all the replies I had to my post [some conflicting] I have come to the conclusion that as all the Thai assets are in the wife's name and she is registered with my pension company things are actually quite simple.  The 400k I am sorting out but at the end of the day, compared to the other assets and pension entitlement it is not a show-stopper.    

9 hours ago, bradiston said:

I made a will here in Thailand, as I did back home. The Thai one was because I have a Thai bank account, and winding the estate up in that regard can I heard get complicated without a Thai will. I have property here too, but it will automatically go to my daughter who is Thai as she owns the land the house is built on.

The will consists of 5 pages, 2 containing the details, bequests, executors etc etc, a page of signatures and witnesses, a very high resolution glossy photograph of myself signing the will, flanked by the two witnesses. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, photocopies of my passport main pages, including the page containing my last 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

They issued 3 copies. One he kept. One for my daughter and one for me. Total cost 4,000 THB. A snip if you ask me. A lawyer in Pattaya Nua who speaks excellent English and has probably drawn up more wills than I've had hot Tom Yam.

UPDATE!

I've checked what I said here as still applicable. Unfortunately, his office is shut and the office number is disconnected. There is a mobile number posted on the shop front, which I rang. I was told he will be there at 1pm tomorrow. But more than that they weren't able to confirm. I can confirm it was 4,000 THB. The office is just about opposite the great big gems centre on North Pattaya Rd, which is just up from Terminal 21.

This is the number I rang. It will more than likely be removed by the mods!

If not, the woman who answered offered to give me the lawyer's number but I had no pen. At this rate, I'll be needing that Will sooner rather than later!

8 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

One requirement for a Amphur  will is that you must be able to read and write Thai.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/forms-of-wills-under-thai-law.html

Now that IS interesting!

I can understand the reason for that stipulation and respect it. I can neither read nor write Thai, unfortunately, but will enquire further anyway and see if.....wait for it.......there is a way round it!! ☺ I honestly don't really want to circumvent this reasonable stipulation but considering the end I'm aiming for (which is that my Thai wife gets access to money in bank) I hope the means might be justified! 

Thanks for replying & the info. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Dear All,

I raised a question in the Thai Visas, Residency and Work Payments forum about this and there are 127 replies - many of them useful.  I would recommend you read some.

My original post was only about the 400k in the bank I use for my marriage extension.  Everything else is already owned by my wife - house, car, bike, some land etc. so they are not open to dispute.  Also she is registered with my private pension and has a certificate from them with her entitlement.

It was only the 400k I wanted to make sure she got and from the replies I received in that forum I now have solutions.  I do have a will [in English] which leaves all assets in Thailand to my wife [we have been legally married for nearly 15 years] and any assets in the UK to my daughters - but there are none really - just my old bike and a spare set of golf clubs!.

From all the replies I had to my post [some conflicting] I have come to the conclusion that as all the Thai assets are in the wife's name and she is registered with my pension company things are actually quite simple.  The 400k I am sorting out but at the end of the day, compared to the other assets and pension entitlement it is not a show-stopper.    

You might be interested......went to the Bangkok Bank today and essentially.....withdrew the 400k (I'm not currently in the 2 month period) and opened a new account in my name only on the passbook but with wife authorized to access the account and withdraw via an invisible signature on the last page, visible under their light gizmo. Obviously forms were filled out by both of us. She later tested the system in the bank and withdrew some money from the acc using the passbook and her signature.(Ensuring I still had the full 400k!)

24 minutes ago, Toolong said:

You might be interested......went to the Bangkok Bank today and essentially.....withdrew the 400k (I'm not currently in the 2 month period) and opened a new account in my name only on the passbook but with wife authorized to access the account and withdraw via an invisible signature on the last page, visible under their light gizmo. Obviously forms were filled out by both of us. She later tested the system in the bank and withdrew some money from the acc using the passbook and her signature.(Ensuring I still had the full 400k!)

Now that is the answer I've been looking for because we don't have much money and I've been worried that my wife will starve while incompetent and tardy Police and Government officials <deleted> about. So we will go to the bank now as a matter of urgency. As far as property is concerned, when we came to Thailand 6 years ago I "bought" a house which is of course in my wife's name. With the intent to provide at least a base for the family (her two partially disabled sisters) I had builders in and we turned a crappy 3-bed/2 bathroom house into a 5-bed 4 bathroom (2 en-suite) home. Two cars are both in her name and so is one motorbike. Here I got nothing except my bank account and pension and now I have this information I am going to change my bank account at Bangkok Bank.

So - thank you for the info.

37 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Now that is the answer I've been looking for because we don't have much money and I've been worried that my wife will starve while incompetent and tardy Police and Government officials <deleted> about. So we will go to the bank now as a matter of urgency. As far as property is concerned, when we came to Thailand 6 years ago I "bought" a house which is of course in my wife's name. With the intent to provide at least a base for the family (her two partially disabled sisters) I had builders in and we turned a crappy 3-bed/2 bathroom house into a 5-bed 4 bathroom (2 en-suite) home. Two cars are both in her name and so is one motorbike. Here I got nothing except my bank account and pension and now I have this information I am going to change my bank account at Bangkok Bank.

So - thank you for the info.

Clive, if I may say so, your situation does sound similar to my own (though retired due to age , I don't have a pension & never will.....spent so much time out of UK and not paying into the system!).

It all went ok today for me......but a warning - the guy at first said I couldn't open a new account as I didn't have a work permit and therefore I must get a letter from immigration, to open a new account. As a customer of 30 years I politely but firmly resisted. After calling god knows who for 10 minutes he said he could do it, ok, no letter required. 

Just be aware of that possibility. Be nice &  smile but firm if required, and all should be cool. Chok dee.????????

20 hours ago, markeewan said:

The payment of Super to a dependant such as a spouse is tax free. If you pay to your sister first then tax will be payable. It makes sense to look at all angles when doing this planning.

I'm not sure that this is correct TBH.

I currently pay tax on my super, I'm pretty sure my dependent would have to as well.

Edited by Will27

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I'm not sure that this is correct TBH.

I currently pay tax on my super, I'm pretty sure my dependent would have to as well.

Obviously I am not qualified to give advice, so you can read up here at the ATO site. or seek your own taxation advice.

In any event this thread has been useful, in that now I will confirm if my wife does need an AU bank acount or not. Certainly not something I had considered.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, markeewan said:

Obviously I am not qualified to give advice, so you can read up here at the ATO site. or seek your own taxation advice.

In any event this thread has been useful, in that now I will confirm if my wife does need an AU bank acount or not. Certainly not something I had considered.

Yep

There's lots of different variables that apply, like lump sum payments, income streams, taxable and

tax free components.

I'm in a Australian government Superannuation Scheme and do get taxed.

I had to get the wife an Australian bank account. As previously posted, my Super cannot be transferred to an overseas account.

On 4/28/2021 at 12:52 PM, Will27 said:

Yep

There's lots of different variables that apply, like lump sum payments, income streams, taxable and

tax free components.

I'm in a Australian government Superannuation Scheme and do get taxed.

I had to get the wife an Australian bank account. As previously posted, my Super cannot be transferred to an overseas account.

I have checked today with Rest Superannuation Fund and the process is that the Executor of the Will will make contact to Rest and advise the payment details for the beneficiaries that were nominated.

The good news is that it is not necessary for my Thai wife to have an Australian bank account; Rest can arrange a cheque or bank transfer once details are provided by the Executor and then my wife can just get the cash value of the account.

Who would have thought that dieing could be so complicated?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markeewan said:

I have checked today with Rest Superannuation Fund and the process is that the Executor of the Will will make contact to Rest and advise the payment details for the beneficiaries that were nominated.

The good news is that it is not necessary for my Thai wife to have an Australian bank account; Rest can arrange a cheque or bank transfer once details are provided by the Executor and then my wife can just get the cash value of the account.

Who would have thought that dieing could be so complicated?

Nice one.

I just wish the government one was like that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, Excel said:

Where did he die and where did he live ? Over the years the foreigners I knew of in my area who passed on were issued with ( or rather their wives) with a death certificate by a certified doctor when they had been on medication for a known ailment and then back to the house in the box and then later to be cremated. Only one I knew just suddenly collapsed and died and he was taken to the local main hospital to determine cause of death and then the death cert was issued. I just find it unbelievable based on my experience that  some bodies are taken  hundreds of kilometers to BKK and then have to be returned for the funeral.

In Pattaya, when a foreigner dies in the hospital, the hospital issues the death certificate.

If one dies elsewhere (other than in a hospital) their body is taken to Bangkok for an autopsy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, Excel said:

I just find it unbelievable based on my experience that  some bodies are taken  hundreds of kilometers to BKK and then have to be returned for the funeral.

I can't speak for the entire country, but if in Pattaya, and one dies outside of a hospital then the body is taken to Bangkok  for autopsy.  Perhaps if someone is under a doctor's care and is expected to die, that may be reason not to be sent to Bangkok.  But for sudden death then it is to Bangkok for autopsy.