Do you live in a dangerous area or ever had your house robbed

georgegeorgia

10 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Very sexist statement

But quite realistic when reading the permanent complaints of some tough men on this forum ! Real men scare by dogs !

They remind me...

messageImage_1554484784449.jpg

Edited by sncoem
  • Haha 1

I've been very lucky.  My place of residences over the years have never been broken into.  I feel very fortunate in that regard.  My houses in Thailand have never been robbed, although the two houses across the street which are much nicer and bigger and owned by Thai/Chinese have been.  I do feel safer in Thailand overall than in my home country.  The most dangerous thing would be venturing out on the roads/highways late at night or after midnight.  

40 some years ago right close in Loei town someone got in my house and stole my super-deluxe monaural cassette player with radio, 555.  BUT another time, a buddy visited for maybe 20-30 minutes, and we sat on the porch of my bungalow on stilts.  It had a roofing tin fence about 8 feet tall.  He parked outside the gate which we then closed.  We were only 5-10 meters away MAX, but could not see down at that angle.  Someone rolled away his Honda SL125 motorcycle.  Gone. Late afternoon, plenty of light.  But that 'hood had some poor folks and druggies. 

My house is gone and the concrete wall is new, but the bike was about where the garbage cans are.  We were sitting about where the banana tree is.  Big house in back was my Pu Yai landlord's, but that's no protection. 

image.jpeg.98ffe74381c1d21f6fddeba495159d7b.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did he not lock it with the wheel turned at an angle so it wouldn't wheel in a straight line? Breaking the lock would make some noise.

Apparently not.  As I said, we were sitting very close by on the porch, which faced the street. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, Saraburi121 said:

Guess depends on where you live in Thailand. Never had anything stolen but a lot of "borrowed" tools forgotten to be returned. No worries. We have security cameras outdoors and our dogs are friendly if they know you.  Security cameras are a deterrent, not a solution plus we can see the weather when we travel. Mitigate risks, nothing is for sure.   Everything important is secure in a safe bolted/welded into cement.  Usually it is someone close who takes things from a home.  Feel a lot safer here than I did in the US for sure. 

Yes CCTV is a great deterrent. I just wish I could find out how to work it. And record on the hard drive. 

2 hours ago, arick said:

Yes CCTV is a great deterrent. I just wish I could find out how to work it. And record on the hard drive. 

If it's a great deterrent, then you don't need to record on the hard drive ????

• Haha 1

In rural Thailand, locals tell me that burglaries do happen and that people should be careful.

But they see it as an occasional thing, kind of like how people know about colds but never really cared that much before the pandemic struck.

But when I was college student, I was a constant target of theft and kept having these things stolen, just like the other students:

• Bicycles
  • Hub caps
  • Boring non-fiction books worth $10-$20

Thais find it strange that I was scared about having boring books and hub caps stolen. They said Thai thieves want phones, cash, and jewelery, but not those things. Thais even leave bikes unlocked everywhere. Amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't fear property theft here, but I do fear extortion by police. 

Example: A Thai crashes into you and seriously injures themselves or dies, you either pay up big time, or go to the monkey house. 

It's the fragile line of freedom we all walk here.

• Haha 1

We live on an estate,we used to have security but about 12 yrs ago we and others were broken into ,luckily our son disturbed the guy ,a few days later he was caught and went to prison ,never had a problem since then ,a few weeks ago the wife was out with me exercising by the beach ,we came home and she realized she had left her phone somewhere,about half hor later got a call,the phone had been picked up and they phoned the last no on it to return it ,the wife went and picked it up ,could never imagine that happening in England,the town we lived in 40 yrs ago over there was safe and very little crime ,now it is another land unsafe to walk the streets ,drugs,knifeings,and the like constantly,its not PC to say it but its the " new" British people that cause most of the crime .i feel far far safer here than there.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, Leaver said:

I don't fear property theft here, but I do fear extortion by police. 

Example: A Thai crashes into you and seriously injures themselves or dies, you either pay up big time, or go to the monkey house. 

It's the fragile line of freedom we all walk here.

Not true. I had a Thai crashed into me one time and everything was solved as it should have been.

He was being pledged guilty and needed to pay and actually did, even if it took a reminder call every month for the monthly rates and some occasional delay in the payment.

On 3/21/2021 at 3:57 AM, HomeBirth said:

Not true. I had a Thai crashed into me one time and everything was solved as it should have been.

Are you suggesting it's a myth?  It's never happened.  

Can you guarantee you will treated the same way, should you be involved in a second accident, perhaps in a different province? 

• Haha 1