Phuket: Road collapses into Chalong reservoir

webfact

Road collapses into Chalong reservoir

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1614490529_1-org.jpg

A large section of the road has collapsed into the lake. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Local residents have been warned to beware travelling on the road around the Khlong Krata reservoir in Chalong after a large section of road collapsed into the water.

Chalong Municipality has installed a sign warning motorists of one section 35 metres long that has collapsed into the water, some 10 metres below.

The danger area has been marked off with traffic cones and old tyres, for safety.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/road-collapses-into-chalong-reservoir-79184.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-03-01

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hopefully they use more than the tire shown in the photo and a few branches as a warning and actually bring in some barricades.  That would be a nasty hole to drive into...

I went past that spot a couple of days ago. There were barriers on wheels warning about the danger. I wonder what happened to them? Maybe they fell in.

Or maybe the spot I drove past was a different soon-to-collapse part of the road.

11 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I went past that spot a couple of days ago. There were barriers on wheels warning about the danger. I wonder what happened to them? Maybe they fell in.

Or maybe the spot I drove past was a different soon-to-collapse part of the road.

When I lived in Chalong many moons ago I would ride that road on my motorbike, and it was a nice ride over the top.  Dangerous at night time however, just like going from Chalong over the top and into Patong.

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This incident will make road-constructors think about future safety. 

It looks like it was on the inside of a curve too.

Good to hear that no one was hurt.

Mr Owl, a possible oxymoron in your first point, but I know what you mean. Construction contractors are at the end of the design process which (in Blighty anyways) starts with the planners. After much bureaucracy, dealing with tree-huggers etc. the process lands on the desk of the professional highway design engineer and his team. Eventually, the design is passed to the selected skilled and approved contractor(s) to construct the design and work with the engineers as any problems occur.  It’s possible that due diligence was not followed in this case and may suggest a catalogue of misunderstandings between the parties involved. I do, of course, accept the unforgivable use of my own oxymoron's in this paragraph.

Here’s another from last year; poor design and construction. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/road-over-kata-hill-dangerously-damaged-by-heavy-rains-77648.php

By the way, I do enjoy the odd peep into your life in Issan thread. Back in the last ice-age, I ventured through Issan stopping at an outpost called Nong Bua Lampu (or summat like that), as I was gasping for a pony and a bite to eat. Walking through the market looking for sustenance that I could stomach and didn’t still have a pulse, I spied some familiar looking tins. I excitedly looked at the label; Corned Beef said the label, 100% pork said the cartoon pig behind the label. Confused and sweating I replaced the tin and headed to the hot bugs over rice sit down. Thinking about it now, I should have bought the tin as a keep-sake of  my adventures.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Here’s another from last year; poor design and construction. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/road-over-kata-hill-dangerously-damaged-by-heavy-rains-77648.php

That looks like the same place where 3 Chinese tourists died in 2015 after their coach experienced (<drum roll>) "Brake failure". This is where that place was:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZ1Bj2oRxQ

That was 6 years ago. There were only steel barriers there then, not a heavy concrete barrier. 

3 hours ago, billythehat said:

Mr Owl, a possible oxymoron in your first point, but I know what you mean. Construction contractors are at the end of the design process which (in Blighty anyways) starts with the planners. After much bureaucracy, dealing with tree-huggers etc. the process lands on the desk of the professional highway design engineer and his team. Eventually, the design is passed to the selected skilled and approved contractor(s) to construct the design and work with the engineers as any problems occur.  It’s possible that due diligence was not followed in this case and may suggest a catalogue of misunderstandings between the parties involved. I do, of course, accept the unforgivable use of my own oxymoron's in this paragraph.

By the way, I do enjoy the odd peep into your life in Issan thread. Back in the last ice-age, I ventured through Issan stopping at an outpost called Nong Bua Lampu (or summat like that), as I was gasping for a pony and a bite to eat. Walking through the market looking for sustenance that I could stomach and didn’t still have a pulse, I spied some familiar looking tins. I excitedly looked at the label; Corned Beef said the label, 100% pork said the cartoon pig behind the label. Confused and sweating I replaced the tin and headed to the hot bugs over rice sit down. Thinking about it now, I should have bought the tin as a keep-sake of  my adventures.

I agree with you about the roads.

Good to see you appreciated the Isaan food in Nong Bua Lampu, and did you get to the loo? Not far from me. Nice area.

Bully beef, cheese on toast, pickled onions, pie 'n' mash and jellied eels. 

If you have pics, come and post them on the Isaan thread.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:10 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Hopefully they use more than the tire shown in the photo and a few branches as a warning and actually bring in some barricades.  That would be a nasty hole to drive into...

I recall an accident some years ago in Northern Phuket where a small bridge was washed away leaving a wide, deep hole across the road.  Authorities claimed they had put down barriers and warning lights, but they had been removed on the night a woman with her child drove into it. The child, the daughter of an expat, died.

Found a link:

Justice for Molly: Heartbroken mother wins case against municipality after four-year fight (thephuketnews.com)

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I recall an accident some years ago in Northern Phuket where a small bridge was washed away leaving a wide, deep hole across the road.  Authorities claimed they had put down barriers and warning lights, but they had been removed on the night a woman with her child drove into it. The child, the daughter of an expat, died.

Found a link:

Justice for Molly: Heartbroken mother wins case against municipality after four-year fight (thephuketnews.com)

I remember that.  Unfortunately Road safety is of very little concern to the people who are in charge.

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I am sure they will the urgency in fixing the road as they are with the Kata hill fiasco  road sinking!

Talking about “fixing the road”

Hows the Beach Road in Patong doing? I haven’t ventured down there for a week or so, but I expect the works have been successfully completed and the residents of Patong (& others) can have the pleasure of driving on a first rate road.