CRF450RL Thailand

DDBKK

OK so for some reason the other 450RL thread has been "archived" and unable to receive any further replies so a fresh thread it is, then. 

Just read on a popular enduro Pattaya page that the bikes are now being sold in Thailand at a very reasonable price of 330,000 baht with green book/fully licensed. 4 already unboxed/sold in big wing pattaya. 

Waited all this time for the 300L to come along and they drop the 450RL within a few months. 450RL will soon to be seen all over thailand no doubt. 

• Like 1

Looks like a very off-road orientated bike, oil change every 1000km and oil/air filter as well, major strip down every 30.000km.

I would personally be more interested on the Yamaha T7 as an adventure bike but it all depends what you use it for off course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDBKK said:

450RL will soon to be seen all over thailand no doubt. 

For sure not at this price tag.

Status is very important for Thais, and the average person couldn't distinguish a CRF450 from the 250. On the other hand for just 400k they could buy a Yamaha Tenere 700, which stands out.

• Like 1

The 450RL is a very different bike to the 300L. The 450 is more performance orientated, short service intervals, proper suspension, lighter etc.

If you're doing proper enduro then the 450 would be the way to go, but for most people who use it as an every day bike, do some rough potholed gravel roads, some light off road, maybe some touring thrown in then the 300 is the better option IMO.

330,000 is a good price if you want the 450 though. Might want to check if it's restricted, because in some markets it was restricted to around 30HP if I remember correctly and Honda have a habit of selling the worst version of every model in Thailand so there's a fair chance it's the restricted one.

This article suggests it's 339,000.

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/auto/news/2039596

Edit yep it's 339,000 on BigWing website.

image.png.673f28b5d417c1a47dce481aa3d589fd.png

Edited by JonnyF

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How does it compare to the KTM Duke 390 or Adventure 390?

15137503215a39ff316486b.jpg

PHO_BIKE_90_RE_390ADVENTURE-MY20-Orange-

Completely different bike, no need to compare it. The KTM is made for the street, the Honda 450 for off road.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Completely different bike, no need to compare it. The KTM is made for the street, the Honda 450 for off road.

I understand what you are saying. But I wouldn't be surprised if many people who are interested in that bike will use it more on streets than off road...

And the Adventure is also built to use it (kind of) off road.

ktm-adventure-390-exterior8.jpeg

Edited by OneMoreFarang

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The 450RL is a very different bike to the 300L. The 450 is more performance orientated, short service intervals, proper suspension, lighter etc.

If you're doing proper enduro then the 450 would be the way to go, but for most people who use it as an every day bike, do some rough potholed gravel roads, some light off road, maybe some touring thrown in then the 300 is the better option IMO.

330,000 is a good price if you want the 450 though. Might want to check if it's restricted, because in some markets it was restricted to around 30HP if I remember correctly and Honda have a habit of selling the worst version of every model in Thailand so there's a fair chance it's the restricted one.

This article suggests it's 339,000.

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/auto/news/2039596

Edit yep it's 339,000 on BigWing website.

image.png.673f28b5d417c1a47dce481aa3d589fd.png

Thaland , England and other countries get the 27 bhp model. Some states in America get the 40 bhp model. No-one ive heard of has modified any up to "full" power. If that is possible , with what components , it will add to the 339K cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

Thaland , England and other countries get the 27 bhp model. Some states in America get the 40 bhp model. No-one ive heard of has modified any up to "full" power. If that is possible , with what components , it will add to the 339K cost. 

If it's really the 27 hp version in Thailand it's a waste of time IMO. Better to get the 300L and stick an aftermarket pipe and upgraded suspension on it.

Similar weight and power for well over 100,000 less (even after the mods) and much easier to service, repair and sell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DDBKK said:

This is going to be the king of affordable/easily serviceable proper dual-sport dirt worthy bikes in Thailand. 

Bingo.

Twang a $KTM or Hu$ky in the mountains ... ride over.

Twang a honda .. there is hope.

! Really cool looking in the red !

[...take off stickers of course]

Edited by papa al

6 hours ago, DDBKK said:

IF the corked version is being sold in Thailand, simple vortex ecu (which you're going to need with an aftermarket pipe anyway) and away you go. 

This is going to be the king of affordable/easily serviceable proper dual-sport dirt worthy bikes in Thailand. 

Yeah, but a Vortex ECU is about 25,000 Baht (more if you get stung for import tax). I think you have to make a change to the airbox as well. Not sure if warranty is affected by making these changes? I suppose you could swap the original parts back in if you got a problem.

I guess you've still got a nice bike for around 370,000 Baht (let's say 400 with a decent pipe) which isn't too bad, and the alternatives from KTM/Husky are going to be a lot more. 

I still think the 300L with suspension mods and a pipe probably represents better value at circa 200k but there's no doubt the 450 is a more serious off roader.

Hopefully they keep it in the Thai market long term. I'm pretty sure they withdrew it from Australia after a year or so. I might pop into BigWing BKK to have a look.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I might pop into BigWing BKK to have a look.

If you do, and they have one there can you check the seat height please, should be;  Seat height - 942 mm (37.1 in)...I saw a photo on a facebook page with a girl sat on one, either she has very long legs or they've lowered it

52 minutes ago, Neilly said:

If you do, and they have one there can you check the seat height please, should be;  Seat height - 942 mm (37.1 in)...I saw a photo on a facebook page with a girl sat on one, either she has very long legs or they've lowered it

No problem, my KX250F is 37.2 so I'll see how it measures up to that.

• Like 1

Small correction. The Thai version has 25 bhp. It is due to the local emission laws , Euro 5 ?. Pulled from Aus as nobody bought it. England , same. If you buy an ECU for 25K , how much will be shipping and import tax. Plus the other mods. Warranty will be void. Same as if you dont take it back to Honda every month for the oil , oil filter and air filter. I can see this will be too expensive for some. 1000KM between services is fine for a 55 bhp KTM , but not at 25 or even 40 bhp Honda. So its basically a CRF 250/286 with weight closer to a KLX , adjustable suspension that hopefully doesnt leak , more torque , and 200 K higher purchase  price / servicing price . Nice though . Come on Honda , if others can get their bikes to pass emissions , then why the hell cant you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

IIRC Euro 4 in Thailand since last year. Euro 5 just came into effect in EU beginning of this year. That's why there has been quite a bunch of updated models including engine updates.

Re CRF450RL: 25HP? Ouch. No wonder they can't sell it in all those other markets. And now they try here? Good luck. Sometimes I really wonder who's making the decisions at Honda to even think of producing this stuff. No chance this will stay on the market.

Hey Eisfeld, I think it might actually do OK here. There is really no competition in the 'proper' enduro market, KTM's are around 6xx,xxx Baht and there is a lack of dealers. Plus, a lot of people still think Hondas are way better than KTM for reliability even if that might not be the case.

Also, Thais tend to mod the hell out of their bikes anyway so an ECU and a pipe won't really deter them, if you look on YouTube there's loads of Thai videos on this bike already and it's only just been released.

It's a real shame Honda always brings the restricted and low spec versions of their bikes here. It's one of the reasons I always buy from the other brands. But again, Thais are used to it, same as they are used to the high purchase prices compared the US and Europe.

It's certainly a handsome machine.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hey Eisfeld, I think it might actually do OK here. There is really no competition in the 'proper' enduro market, KTM's are around 6xx,xxx Baht and there is a lack of dealers. Plus, a lot of people still think Hondas are way better than KTM for reliability even if that might not be the case.

Hi! Yes you raise good points. But I am just wondering since it flopped in some major markets if the markets where it is doing OK like the US I assume are enough for Honda to keep producing the bike. So by keeping it on the market I ment world wide not just Thailand. Here they have no competition like you said so they can dump some of their restricted stock but not sure if there's enough demand to make the model itself a viable business. A double digit amount of sales tops I'd wager?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Small correction. The Thai version has 25 bhp. It is due to the local emission laws , Euro 5 ?. Pulled from Aus as nobody bought it. England , same. If you buy an ECU for 25K , how much will be shipping and import tax. Plus the other mods. Warranty will be void. Same as if you dont take it back to Honda every month for the oil , oil filter and air filter. I can see this will be too expensive for some. 1000KM between services is fine for a 55 bhp KTM , but not at 25 or even 40 bhp Honda. So its basically a CRF 250/286 with weight closer to a KLX , adjustable suspension that hopefully doesnt leak , more torque , and 200 K higher purchase  price / servicing price . Nice though . Come on Honda , if others can get their bikes to pass emissions , then why the hell cant you. 

I'm happy with my 40 hp Versys X. But I only ride on road I can turnaround on.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, eisfeld said:

IIRC Euro 4 in Thailand since last year. Euro 5 just came into effect in EU beginning of this year. That's why there has been quite a bunch of updated models including engine updates.

Re CRF450RL: 25HP? Ouch. No wonder they can't sell it in all those other markets. And now they try here? Good luck. Sometimes I really wonder who's making the decisions at Honda to even think of producing this stuff. No chance this will stay on the market.

I stand corrected. I just cant understand how Honda cant design an engine / fuel injection system that cant even pass the outdated Euro 4 standards. It looks good in all other areas , apart from small 7.2 L fuel tank. I think the people dropping 340K on them already know , and accept , they need to spend another 50/100K and no warranty. Then its a great bike but for a very limited market. Lets hope Kawasaki have stopped laughing at it , and will soon bring out a KLX 450. With power.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

I just cant understand how Honda cant design an engine / fuel injection system that cant even pass the outdated Euro 4 standards.

January 1st 2021 is when the really big change comes in, but once again, there's nothing for consumers or existing motorcycle owners to be concerned about. From that date, every brand new motorcycle sold here in the UK will have to be Euro 5 compliant, even if it's a model that's been in production for decades and was perfectly legal to be sold a couple of days earlier in 2020. 

Buyers will therefore still be able to purchase these Euro 4 compliant motorcycles from dealers for the next two years, which should be plenty of time for existing stocks to be cleared. Riding and owning a Euro 4 model won’t be or feel any different from a Euro 5 compliant model. Some models have only needed very minor upgrades by manufacturers to make them Euro 5 compliant, but there's no reason for buyers to delay purchasing a new motorcycle to wait for a Euro 5 compliant version if the bike is currently being sold under the end-of-series derogation system as a Euro 4 model.

https://www.honda.co.uk/engineroom/bikes/what-euro5-means-for-uk-motorcycles/