Russians and Indian high spenders in the plans as Thai tourism minister HALVES 2021 assessment

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Russians and Indian high spenders in the plans as Thai tourism minister HALVES 2021 assessment

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thailand's minister for tourism and sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan said that he expects no less than five million foreign tourists to visit the country this year.

This is half previous assessments from the TAT in recent weeks. Their chief Yutthasak Suphasorn suggested 10 million would come. 

Billionaire Pipat was upbeat talking to Thai Rath about who these tourists might be, promoting the new idea of "Area Quarantine" while a ministerial aide said that 5 million doses of vaccine are being sought to inspire confidence in main tourism hotspots like Pattaya and Phuket.

It is felt that vaccination of locals is better than waiting for WHO's vaccination passport ideas to materialize.

Pipat said that no fewer than 5 million tourists would come in 2021. For now he was busy working on improving the Certificate of Entry website.

He was keen to hype up his "Area Quarantine" (AQ) plans saying it was much better than the "Villa Quarantine" that has already started in Phuket.

Under AQ tourists would still quarantine for 14 days but they would only be under lockdown in their rooms for three days. Then they would be free to use the grounds of participtaing hotels for the remaining 11. 

He claimed that as soon as AQ gets the nod from the CCSA Covid-19 authorities the tourists would flood in as this is just what they have been waiting for.

Thaivisa notes that this may be wide of the mark. Many online are saying that what tourists are waiting for is an end to quarantine entirely in Thailand.

So who are these tourists waiting to come to Thailand? No mention was made of British people - hyped up last week by the TAT in a much ridiculed 6 million person assessment of visitors. 

No, said Pipat, it was the Russians who would be leading the way. Tour companies had already been following the news and are planning 2 charter flights a day carrying 300-400 people on each flight to Phuket for AQ.

Apart from this Pipat said that high spending Indians who wanted to get married in Thailand would be the other group. 

He claimed that resorts with a total of 6,500 rooms across five provinces - Phuket, Chonburi (Pattaya in reality), Surat Thani (Koh Samui), Chiang Mai and Krabi were interested in providing AQ.

Ministerial aide Phinthorn Srisanphang said that 50,000 doses of the initial lot of vaccine received on February 24th would be mainly used to vaccinate hotel workers to facillitate AQ first. 

He revealed that the ministry has applied for 5 million doses of vaccine for the five tourism provinces to be delivered in the third quarter of this year.

That would inspire confidence in foreign tourists to visit and get tourism off the ground in the fourth and final quarter of 2021.

Waiting for the WHO vaccine passport plan could see the recovery delayed until the second quarter of next year, he noted. 

He did however intimate that the aim was to stop quarantine altogether as soon as was possible. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-01

Where do these people get their ideas from??? Tourists will come flooding in ???????????? 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

How do i manage to brighten my very dull/ boring days????

Easy just read what nonsense T.A.T. are coming up with, guaranteed to bring a HUGE smile on my face.????

Huge smile is what you get on a slow day. On better days, you'd want to be careful about spitting your morning coffee on your laptop/tablet screen :coffee1:

• Haha 1

Thailand....................The hub of plucking ludicrous figures from the air, and attaching those ludicrous figures onto ANY statement, then changing those ludicrous and ridiculous figures/statements, on an hourly/daily/weekly basis.

It really beggars belief, that these morons would even believe 1% of anything they spout out of their pie-holes......trouble is, they must do?

Until the day these clowns realise they are spouting out utter garbage, or until they are reined in/sacked or whatever?        We will just have to listen to these pathetic numbers being spouted out!  It does make me smile, sometimes it makes me  laugh my little head off! When I see these buffoons saying what they say!!

Youve got to feel though, for the average Thai hard working person, whose daily life is run by these people in "charge".

Edited by welshguy
spelling

6 hours ago, webfact said:

No, said Pipat, it was the Russians who would be leading the way.

as they can't tan their armpits in the Motherland at this time of the year .. or having press up competitions on the beach after a few big bottles of Chang he added .. 

Apart from this Pipat said that high spending Indians who wanted

to try being Russians on their hol's with borst , pickled herrings and industrial strength vodka ..

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

OMG!

My entire comments are about my house being burgled as part of another thread. I placed it in this thread by mistake and saw immediately so cut and pasted it in the right thread. I thought that was enough

• Haha 1

It is felt that vaccination of locals is better than waiting for WHO's vaccination passport ideas to materialize.

Pipat firstly has to get Tourism Operators to believe that People in these  so called " Safe Zones " have been Vaccinated, and that the " Ring fence "  is 120% fool  proof.

Not gonna be easy on this me thinks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VYCM said:

Never seen this before in the same sentence.

"Indians" and "High Spenders"

I can see them all now in my minds eye.

About Six Indian Guys ,all standing outside a Bar, and arguing over who will buy the Bottle of Coke inside that they will all share.

High spenders indeed.

Edited by Cake Monster

Why is Thailand obsessed with high spenders. They are few and far between so can never help in any meaningful way. The UK vaccination programme is a fantastic success and shows how opening up will be done. Vaccination and vaccine passports are the only viable way forward and then concentrate on mass tourism. Get people in small places and leave the big spenders to sort themselves out. Backpackers, sex tourists and families can be brought back with very little investment compared to how many ordinary Thais that they will support. Rich people support rich people far more than the poor. 

• Like 2

No worries, get ready for those 6 million UK visitors the boys at TAT were talking about late last week. Now these, plus the Indians and the Russians will adjust the statistics nicely, specially if you throw in the millions and millions of Chinese waiting at the borders to be opened.

Get real, stop dreaming; in the private industry such people would have gotten fired months if not years ago as there is absolutely no relevance to realism here ???? 

I said it before and I'll say it again.  They all need to march down to the nearest tattoo parlor and have: "NO tourists of any numbers will come with any quarantine in place" tattooed on their arms.  Then when one of them comes up with yet another hare-brained idea that involves quarantine, they can look at their arms and say "Wait! Not gonna work!"

• Haha 1

I am so tired of reading different plans and tourist estimates every few days.Russia and India are among the worst countries for numbers of covid cases and deaths.People who have been vaccinated still.might be able to pass on the virus etc.Be honest there will be very few tourists until.2022 if lucky.A few days ago it was Chinese are coming, then British are all keen to come,today Russians and Indians! In a few days it will.probably be Australians and Japanese.Who.writes these fairy tales?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Why is Thailand obsessed with high spenders. They are few and far between so can never help in any meaningful way. The UK vaccination programme is a fantastic success and shows how opening up will be done. Vaccination and vaccine passports are the only viable way forward and then concentrate on mass tourism. Get people in small places and leave the big spenders to sort themselves out. Backpackers, sex tourists and families can be brought back with very little investment compared to how many ordinary Thais that they will support. Rich people support rich people far more than the poor. 

Interestingly, a sex tourist could be considered a big spender after returning home!! How many commit equal to  B20,000 a month or more for the foreseeable future to the bar girl they think they will meet up again!

3 minutes ago, robert888d said:

I am so tired of reading different plans and tourist estimates every few days.Russia and India are among the worst countries for numbers of covid cases and deaths.People who have been vaccinated still.might be able to pass on the virus etc.Be honest there will be very few tourists until.2022 if lucky.A few days ago it was Chinese are coming, then British are all keen to come,today Russians and Indians! In a few days it will.probably be Australians and Japanese.Who.writes these fairy tales?

And not just Russians and Indians.... but high spending Russians and Indians

4 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Interestingly, a sex tourist could be considered a big spender after returning home!! How many commit equal to  B20,000 a month or more for the foreseeable future to the bar girl they think they will meet up again!

That's why I included them. 

Another TAT story. What!! Indian spend what??? Hotel room? 10 people in one room smelling the place up! The only thing Russian people are spending money is on Vodka and yes they bring their own bottles to restaurants but don't want to pay the cork fee!!!!!  Stop with the fake storie!!!! 

Thailand's minister for tourism and sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan said that he expects no less than five million foreign tourists to visit the country this year.

This is half previous assessments from the TAT in recent weeks. Their chief Yutthasak Suphasorn suggested 10 million would come. 

10m is not less than 5...

Pump out enough sufficiently vague forecasts & eventually you'll be 'spot on' :D

High spending tourists - what do they mean? Those who stay in B20,000 a night hotels? Eating in fancy restaurants? Buying expensive in the large corporate stores? This collects taxes for the Government, makes rich people richer  but doesn't do much for the small business  and thousands of individual traders. The  money collected through taxes could easily be outdone without tourists, by simply collecting money they are owed by their own population from traffic offences already committed and from those that will inevitably continue to be committed forever more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Will he never learn? He can hype up different sorts of quarantine all he likes to make it sound rosy, but it is still quarantine, and tourists are not going to put up with it in numbers, end of story.

I think every man and his (darkside!) dog could come up with more believable estimates than TAT come up with!

Do they not realise that with these ridiculous estimates and continuous re-estimates and U Turns and nonsensical suggestions, they have become a laughing stock in the world as we know it i.e. Thailand, and I would not be surprised if there are a few sniggers farther afield!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonysilly said:

Another TAT story. What!! Indian spend what??? Hotel room? 10 people in one room smelling the place up! The only thing Russian people are spending money is on Vodka and yes they bring their own bottles to restaurants but don't want to pay the cork fee!!!!!  Stop with the fake storie!!!! 

You know these Indian and Russian traits first hand or just parroting rubbish you read on the internet ?