920kg of cannabis seized in Nakhon Phanom

webfact

920kg of cannabis seized in Nakhon Phanom

564000002020004.jpg

Picture: Manager

Police seized almost one tonne of cannabis as it was being smuggled across the Mekong  River in Nakhon Phanom early on Sunday.

Acting on a tip-off, border patrol police approached a boat at the Songkhram stream tributary on the river.

As they approached, a group of men fled in a smaller boat and were able to escape. 

A search of the larger boat uncovered 23 sacks of dried cannabis. Inside the sacks the dried cannabis had been weighed out into 1kg packages and there were 920 packages in total.  Police described the cannabis as grade A quality and said each kilogram package has an estimated street value of 20,000 baht. 

Police on Sunday told Manager Online of the ongoing problem of groups smuggling drugs  across the Mekong River into Thailand. 

In the past 2-3 months, police said they had seized more than 5 tonnes of cannabis and 10  million methamphetamine tablets from people attempting to smuggle the drugs into the country.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-01

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hmmmmm ........ I have my friend has to pay 4,000bht/oz for grade A quality

35 x 4,000 = 140,000bht/Kg.

20k sounds like jungle brick not grade A.

They used to be 7,000 b for jungle <deleted>

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Police described the cannabis as grade A quality and said each kilogram package has an estimated street value of 20,000 baht. 

Just a few days ago I read that the thai government buys a kilo of cannabis flowers from local producers for 45000 Thb ... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Still can't work out why so many of these smugglers/couriers seem to escape capture ? like Superman faster than a speeding bullet !

They only have to make it back across the river and they're untouchable. A small fast boat is all they need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Police described the cannabis as grade A quality and said each kilogram package has an estimated street value of 20,000 baht. 

Yea right .. not at the price it ain't .. 

More likely to be low grade wild grown commercial weed , sticks , stalks and leafage all compressed together .. 

The going rate is a lot nearer £5k for a kilo of quality green of a known strain  .. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In the past 2-3 months, police said they had seized more than 5 tonnes of cannabis and 10  million methamphetamine tablets from people attempting to smuggle the drugs into the country.

And no Mr BIG caught... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Police seized almost one tonne of cannabis

why? cannabis isn't illegal in thailand and if you are a no smoker,  get high by eating it mixed with  some isaan food (can't remember the restaurant name, but it's well known...)!

What is the point of this forum posting this? Isn't the "handlers" of this forum trying to push this as a cash crop? Ok, the perpetrators in question, didn't get all the "legal" permits and grew the wrong grade of Hemp, but really this is pretty bad press if your trying to get people to grow this in a legitimate way? Simply educate the perps involved and move on... no need to broadcast this right?

Edited by Freeduhdum
Grammar and content corrections
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hmmmmm ........ I have my friend has to pay 4,000bht/oz for grade A quality

35 x 4,000 = 140,000bht/Kg.

20k sounds like jungle brick not grade A.

Dam cant even trust the dealers, even they have double pricing..lol

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought we were all pensioners ......... do any kids read TV?

When I first found ThaiVisa I expected the average age to be around 25-30.  I'm still kind of shocked that the demographics are so massively skewed towards old blokes.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

When I first found ThaiVisa I expected the average age to be around 25-30.  I'm still kind of shocked that the demographics are so massively skewed towards old blokes.  

Retired folk have the ability to live anywhere in the world with their pensions.

Younger chaps need to earn money to survive.

Hardly surprising most of us here are pensioners.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Retired folk have the ability to live anywhere in the world with their pensions.

Younger chaps need to earn money to survive.

Hardly surprising most of us here are pensioners.

Young and making a lot of money online from anywhere...

• Like 2