Using Transferwise for first time

22 hours ago, bolt said:

Do you mean using transfer wise, or Thailand in General,

I have taken money out of Thailand serveral times last year using Online Banking Bank of Ayudhya, and also buying online using Etoro, with my online Thai bank account.

withdrawing Thai baht is easier than it once was.

TransferWise.  Indeed other methods can be used to export.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of using wise, I only need it occasionally if I want to spoil myself or the Mrs otherwise I just use my pensions to live on, I have read all their blurb, so they will convert GBP to Baht, so when the money hits my Kasikorn account 1) will it show as a foreign deposit ? 2) will I get a charge from Kasikorn as they do not have to convert from GBP to Baht ? Thanks for any help. 

6 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

1) will it show as a foreign deposit ? 2) will I get a charge from Kasikorn as they do not have to convert from GBP to Baht ?

No and no.

It is a local deposit in Baht - but if proof of foreign origin required it could be obtained.  As a local deposit/transfer there is no charge by Thai bank.

• Thanks 1

First transfer using Wise Friday a.m. after a couple of hours on the phone/online banking going through my bank of 40 years "fraud" procedures.

Eventually got funds to Wise now on stuck in transit on day 3 pending verification!

Obviously weekend does not help but they do say they work at weekends.

And they,Wise, sent me a " how did we do ?" email today!

43 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Just thought, would the rates they gave me for the transfers be invalid now 3 days have passed?

Not sure from where you are making transfer but from USA they provide the estimated date of deposit and rate when making transfer - but your home bank fraud hold could have made deposit impossible.  No deposits are made in Thailand on weekends or holidays so Monday afternoon at 1400 would be my guess from USA if money already received by WISE.

Expect they will use same exchange rate if they did not say anything when confirming money received.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Just thought, would the rates they gave me for the transfers be invalid now 3 days have passed?

My experience of having a couple of delayed transfers - a couple of years back, recently no problems - is that the original given rate stands. So what is noted as being payable to you, in baht, is what you receive in your Thai account, delay or not.

Edit: I was also given fee free transfers (up to £500 each time) for the delayed transfers. Good PR from them at little cost.

Edited by dabhand
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure from where you are making transfer but from USA they provide the estimated date of deposit and rate when making transfer - but your home bank fraud hold could have made deposit impossible.  No deposits are made in Thailand on weekends or holidays so Monday afternoon at 1400 would be my guess from USA if money already received by WISE.

Expect they will use same exchange rate if they did not say anything when confirming money received.

From the UK in GBP. Wise have had the money since Friday, the delay is verification.

I did two tranfers one to HK which was to take minutes, one to here which I believe was same day. 

I only got the notification that funds were on hold after Wise received the money pending multiple day verification.

3 minutes ago, Thailand said:

From the UK in GBP. Wise have had the money since Friday, the delay is verification.

I did two tranfers one to HK which was to take minutes, one to here which I believe was same day. 

I only got the notification that funds were on hold after Wise received the money pending multiple day verification.

UK is normally very fast service (unlike USA) so appears by the time fraud issues resolved was too late for deposit in Thailand so waiting for Monday opening of banks here.  

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

UK is normally very fast service (unlike USA) so appears by the time fraud issues resolved was too late for deposit in Thailand so waiting for Monday opening of banks here.  

Not the case. As I said, the funds are on hold pending verification (of me) which appears can take days. As it stands it would have been quicker to send them direct from my bank.

Been using Wise for several years from Santander UK to KTB with zero issues. Longest was next day, normally hitting KTB around 2 PM.

However i recentlly worked out that if I make a transfer on a Monday morning around 10 or 11 AM it takes literally seconds. Done it 3 times now. I use my debit card which is marginally more expensive but is slightly easier to set up.

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm checking WISE out, it looks good.

One question.

I've added my bank as the RBS in UK. Do I add 'another account" to send money to by Thai bank or select "recipient"?

Benn a long time but am sure it is "recipient".  You can also add other bank accounts to send money from - and recipients to receive the money.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

One question.

I've added my bank as the RBS in UK. Do I add 'another account" to send money to by Thai bank or select "recipient"?

Make sure of verification if first time as I have fallen foul of it!

They have had my funds since Friday a.m. and still pending verification. As I posted earlier would have been quicker with my usual home bank. At the moment I do not have any access to my money at all. As for communication with "Wise"- hopeless!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Make sure of verification if first time as I have fallen foul of it!

They have had my funds since Friday a.m. and still pending verification. As I posted earlier would have been quicker with my usual home bank. At the moment I do not have any access to my money at all. As for communication with "Wise"- hopeless!

Maybe they are closed on weekends. 

I was going fine until the RBS asked for me to use my card reader, which is with my mother. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

One question.

You mean your bank was the RBS...

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe they are closed on weekends. 

I was going fine until the RBS asked for me to use my card reader, which is with my mother. 

Update.

Finally spoke to a lady in the London office this morning UK time. She resolved the problems of verification etc in one hour. First transfer happened almost immediately to HK

Funds to Thailand scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Revise my review to "it's what I was told by friends". Quite acceptable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackayae said:

I get an error message when accessing my Wise/Transferwise account: wise.com has banned your IP address.

Strange.  Who is sending you that notice?  Assume it is not Wise if they have your IP banned.  Did it happen on first attempt to log in on the new website?  You did go to the new "wise.com"?  If using VPN try without it.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mackayae said:

Yes, I was able to access by not using my VPN. I have been using W/TW for over 2 years, first time this happened.

Believe they may have banned all known VPN - has recently happened on another bank site I use.  Also Wise seems to be checking closer as for all sign on's this week have had to provide SMS verification code - used to be occasionally.   

On 3/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, Thailand said:

AFAIR the forex rate they quoted you for the transaction is valid for the duration of that transfer.

Wise normally work from Monday to Saturday with Sundays off.

My state pension is paid on the 4th Friday around 3:30 pm. I transfer it around 5pm on the Friday but it doesn't hit my BBK account until just after 2pm on Monday afternoons or the next Thai bank working day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

AFAIR the forex rate they quoted you for the transaction is valid for the duration of that transfer.

Wise normally work from Monday to Saturday with Sundays off.

My state pension is paid on the 4th Friday around 3:30 pm. I transfer it around 5pm on the Friday but it doesn't hit my BBK account until just after 2pm on Monday afternoons or the next Thai bank working day.

Believe one I made on 1st for valid for 96 hours or so.  Other a bit less.  Both received on 2nd.  This from USD.

• Like 1