Two Separate Accounts in the Same Bank.

I have two bank accounts in Thailand, a savings account with Kasikorn and debit card account with Bangkok Bank. Due to being messed about by Kasikorn, I would like to put my savings account in to my Bangkok Bank along with my debit card account. Would I be allowed to have two separate accounts with the same bank? Are there any drawbacks to this? Thanks.

I also have multi accounts in in two banks. There should be no issue.

Just consider the "all your eggs in one basket".

May be consider opening an account in another bank if you dont like Kasikorn.

So you have BKK and one other.

Just a suggestion

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No issue whatever, I have more than one account with both SCB and BKK Bank.

As an existing customer the process may even be less fraught (I did say "may").

They'll still possibly ask for a work permit, it happened to me when trying to get a new ATM card (TMB) , told me initially that no WP no ATM card, they found a work round (copied my old one) when they started to get the impression that I was going to shut the account's I had with them, which I did anyway later.

• Like 1

Just now, EricTh said:

@possum1931

Sorry, but what's the difference between savings and debit card account? 

I thought having a savings account entitle one to have a debit card as well.

Maybe I should have said deposit account, let's just say, two accounts, one for a debit card, and another one separate.

58 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe I should have said deposit account, let's just say, two accounts, one for a debit card, and another one separate.

It is even a safe option ,as i use 2 accounts same bank ,  A) with the big load   feeding the other limited (B) with what i need ,unless i need to buy something expensive i fill up temporary B more , and only from this second account i carry  card  on pocket , and use by webcard or on ATM ,  big one i only use  by online feeding account B , nothing else...and is  not connected for mobile banking ! 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I also have multi accounts in in two banks. There should be no issue.

Just consider the "all your eggs in one basket".

May be consider opening an account in another bank if you dont like Kasikorn.

So you have BKK and one other.

Just a suggestion

Yes, I have thought about that.

Based on being in the queue to update my passbook behind a woman who had ~ 20+ passbooks, I'd venture to say, yes.

With regards to Bangkok Bank specifically, is it 100% successful if you have one account, and wish to open a second one? Or is this branch/weather dependent?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Based on being in the queue to update my passbook behind a woman who had ~ 20+ passbooks, I'd venture to say, yes.

With regards to Bangkok Bank specifically, is it 100% successful if you have one account, and wish to open a second one? Or is this branch/weather dependent?

Its branch/weatherdependent. Many  Bangkok Bank branches now want a affidavit from your home country embassy that basically says your passport is valid and you live at Thai address XYZ even I'd you already have an acct with them.  Of course getting such an affidavit takes effort and money...like $50 at the US Embassy for such a doc.  That's cold and rainy weather.

You can have as many accounts in the same bank as you want to and the bank allows you to hold.

I am holding 5 accounts in my sole name at the Krung Thai Bank plus another 5 accounts in my name and the name of a family member together (also Krung Thai Bank).

I would be happy if I could have less than all these accounts but the Krung Thai Bank's policy forces me to have that many. They want me to open a new account whenever something differs slightly from the account I already have. There is one for long term fixed deposits (24 months and more), one account for short term fixed deposits (less than 24 months), one for "special fixed deposits" (which are special promotions that can't be used with any of the other accounts) and a funds book. Whenever a fixed deposit term ends and I want to deposit the money again but with a maturity term, that does not match the previous type, I have to change the account and use the one, which is good for that particular maturity term. 

To make things even more complicated, the interest from a fixed deposit account can only be paid into a savings account, which is in exactly the same name as the fixed deposit account. So every fixed deposit account, which is in the both names of me and a particular family member, needs to have another savings account in the same names. The interest can not be paid into a savings account, which is in the sole name of just one of the two account holders.

Including  all the accounts in a sole name of a family member  (wife and two sons) it sums up to a full box of Krung Thai Bank's bank books.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, EricTh said:

@possum1931

Sorry, but what's the difference between savings and debit card account? 

I thought having a savings account entitle one to have a debit card as well.

You are right, As far as my two accounts with SCB in different Provinces is concerned, my ATM card is automatically a debit card as well. I use it often and it is linked with my PalPal account. In addition, my online transactions between those accounts have been working perfectly for ten years.

Definitely doable. Only thing to be aware of is the 1 Million Thb guarantee from the Govt’ if the bank goes under. My understanding is it’s 1 Mill per bank ( used to be 5 Mill if I recall correctly).

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:30 PM, Pib said:

By having accts at separate "banks" (i.e,. Bkk Bk, K-bank, Krungsri, SCB, etc) also increases your deposit protection coverage under the Thailand Deposit Agency. 

Having  an acct one one bank and an acct at another bank means double the coverage.  Having all accts with the same "bank" does not increase coverage.   Keep in mind I'm talking accts at different "banks" and not just accts at different "branches" of the same bank.

I don't think this is no longer true

4 minutes ago, flexomike said:

The increase of deposit protection when holding an account at a different bank is true, however the protection applies once to all banks in the same group so you need an in-depth knowledge of which banks are in which group to maximise protection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

Definitely doable. Only thing to be aware of is the 1 Million Thb guarantee from the Govt’ if the bank goes under. My understanding is it’s 1 Mill per bank ( used to be 5 Mill if I recall correctly).

http://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/protection-limit

The current coverage limit is 5 million bahtuntil 10 August 2021. From 11 August 2021 onward, the coverage limit will be 1 million baht.

14 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Still true.   Coverage is separate for each "bank" you have an account(s) at.  And just to stress again we are talking separate "banks"; not different branches of the same bank.   Like below example from a FAQ doc from the Deposit Protection Agency....the FAQ example given is when the coverage was 15M baht....right now the coverage is 5M baht so coverage at each bank would be 5M.    Download the entire FAQ doc at below DPA link...it's well written (in English).

http://www.dpa.or.th/en/file/download/khumux-tham-txb-phasa-xangkvs

image.png.816f0f08200ee6b04f8879b1ba24c1dd.png

Since I got married I have kept two accounts in my wife’s bank – one for her personal shopping and one for her other needs. Apart from the frequent requests to deposit more money I have no trouble at all with having two accounts in the same bank and I must say I did not know my wife had the capacity to manage more than one account. I am impressed.

• Confused 1

For my main bank in my home country I have two checking accounts. One is for money going in and the other for money going out.

For making credit card or other payments (Paypal, Transferwise, etc), I give the "outbound" account number. That account I keep very little in and only transfer money in right before the money is due to go out.

Nobody other than my employer gets "inbound" checking account.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not if both banks are part of the same group. You need accounts in banks in different groups to qualify for separate coverage for each.

Please explain "groups?"

I have two accounts with SCB - one with more money in (ATM card and bank book in the safe) and another into which I shift a nominal spending amount every week or so... I keep this ATM card on my person. 

BUT....  I had a problem with a fraudulent transaction from my ‘user’ (smaller) account, so I wanted to cancel that account. When I called SCB they told me that ‘foreigners can’t have two accounts’ !!!  I gave up !...  the girl wasn’t very sharp and I could tell I wasn’t going to get anywhere. I just emptied the account and unlinked it to my main account. I still need to cancel it.

I have never heard elsewhere that a foreigner cannot hold two accounts at the same bank. This was the first and only time I have ever heard that - I’ve held two accounts at the same bank for over a decade. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, possum1931 said:

I have two bank accounts in Thailand, a savings account with Kasikorn and debit card account with Bangkok Bank. Due to being messed about by Kasikorn, I would like to put my savings account in to my Bangkok Bank along with my debit card account. Would I be allowed to have two separate accounts with the same bank? Are there any drawbacks to this? Thanks.

I have two accounts with Bkk bank.

One ,orange book, just holds my 800,000+...the blue book,i use for my pension deposits and daily needs..

Works perfectly,for me.

• Like 2