Two Separate Accounts in the Same Bank.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, possum1931 said:

Would I be allowed to have two separate accounts with the same bank? Are there any drawbacks to this?

Why not.  I bank at two banks.  I have a Fixed rate saving account for visa purposes at both banks and a debit account at both banks.  It ain't a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 2 accounts at SCB:  1 retirement account in my name only, no ATM card.  The second, a joint account with my wife with an ATM card.  The fine people at SCB showed me how to use their phone app to merge both accounts, so I can easily move money from one account to the other.  I've used the app to pay for a variety of services, using either account.  

On 3/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, Crossy said:

No issue whatever, I have more than one account with both SCB and BKK Bank.

As an existing customer the process may even be less fraught (I did say "may").

Me too, more than two accounts in both Bangkok Bank and SCB, no problem...????

4 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I have 2 accounts at SCB:  1 retirement account in my name only, no ATM card.  The second, a joint account with my wife with an ATM card.  The fine people at SCB showed me how to use their phone app to merge both accounts, so I can easily move money from one account to the other.  I've used the app to pay for a variety of services, using either account.  

I thought the point of the “retirement” account in your name only (for immigration purposes) was that only you have access to the account. I’m surprised immigration allows you to use that account while your wife has access through your shared ‘linked’ account. Good to know.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, possum1931 said:

I have two bank accounts in Thailand, a savings account with Kasikorn and debit card account with Bangkok Bank. Due to being messed about by Kasikorn, I would like to put my savings account in to my Bangkok Bank along with my debit card account. Would I be allowed to have two separate accounts with the same bank? Are there any drawbacks to this? Thanks.

I have 3 accounts with the same bank - ordinary savings and two fixed deposit - one for fluid reserve the other to back the visa

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I found it impossible to get an app for kasikorn bank, so I went to the bank and the staff were not very helpful, so I am closing my account with Kasikorn and going to my Bangkok Bank account to add a savings account to my debit card account.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:34 AM, david555 said:

It is even a safe option ,as i use 2 accounts same bank ,  A) with the big load   feeding the other limited (B) with what i need ,unless i need to buy something expensive i fill up temporary B more , and only from this second account i carry  card  on pocket , and use by webcard or on ATM ,  big one i only use  by online feeding account B , nothing else...and is  not connected for mobile banking ! 

I do the same as my worry was that going under the 800/400k Baht for renewal of extension of stay. Large account has no debit card (no chance of card cloning) and is used to keep the required extension funds and also is used to receive incoming remittances. The second account is day-to-day spending and has an ATM card, Mobile App banking and virtual credit card for online shopping attached. When needed, I transfer from UK to large account then to daily account being careful to always maintain the 800/400k as required in the main account. Not 1 satang less as we all know the butthurt at immigration if finances aren't to their liking ????

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

OK...so, you have no reference/authoritative source for explaining your  comment about "groups" in relation to the Thailand Deposit Protection (DPA) program.    If you have no source, such as the DPA website, just say so.   

Per the DPA weblinks/docs/snapshots I posted earlier in this thread the coverage is per financial institution.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I found it impossible to get an app for kasikorn bank, so I went to the bank and the staff were not very helpful, so I am closing my account with Kasikorn and going to my Bangkok Bank account to add a savings account to my debit card account.

I found the easiest way is to just give them your phone, and say I want kbank app.  They know it back to front and can do it for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pib said:

OK...so, you have no reference/authoritative source for explaining your  comment about "groups" in relation to the Thailand Deposit Protection (DPA) program.    If you have no source, such as the DPA website, just say so.   

Per the DPA weblinks/docs/snapshots I posted earlier in this thread the coverage is per financial institution.

As long as the financial institutions are not owned by or subsidiaries of a company you are correct.

However if there a group that has owns different banks then you are not.

Your comprehension of basic English seems a little lacking since you needed a definition of the word group, are you sure of the definition of “financial institution” as a hint it can be a single named bank but is not limited to that.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However if there a group that has owns different banks then you are not.

Your comprehension of basic English seems a little lacking since you needed a definition of the word group, are you sure of the definition of “financial institution” as a hint it can be a single named bank but is not limited to that.

It was a nice way of trying to get you to explain your comment of "groups" as in relation to the DPA.    I ask again, do you have an authoritative reference regarding your DPA related groups comment?  

Below is a list of financial institutions covered by the DPA....can you group these?...that is, tell us which of institutions are owned by some larger group?    And to repeat, provide a DPA reference regarding your groups comment?  Unless you can provide a DPA reference I'll continue to consider your groups comment as non-factual. 

http://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/list-of-insured-financial-institutions

Financial Institutions

1. BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  2. KRUNG THAI BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  3. BANK OF AYUDHYA PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  4. KASIKORNBANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  5. TMB BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  6. CIMB THAI BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  7. THE SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  8. STANDARD CHARTERED BANK (THAI) PUBLIC COMPANY LTD. 
  9. UNITED OVERSEAS BANK (THAI) PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  10. THANACHART BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  11. TISCO BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  12. KIATNAKIN PHATRA BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  13. LAND AND HOUSES BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  14. INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL BANK OF CHINA (THAI) PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  15. THE THAI CREDIT RETAIL BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  16. MEGA INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  17. BANK OF CHINA (THAI) PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  18. ANZ BANK (THAI) PUBLIC COMPANY LTD. 
  19. SUMITOMO MITSUI TRUST BANK (THAI) PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.
  20. JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, N.A.
  21. OVERSEA-CHINESE BANKING CORP., LTD.
  22. CITIBANK, N.A.
  23. RHB BANK BERHAD
  24. BANK OF AMERICA, N.A.
  25. THE HONGKONG AND SHANGHAI BANKING CORP., LTD.
  26. DEUTSCHE BANK AG
  27. MIZUHO BANK, LTD.
  28. BNP PARIBAS
  29. SUMITOMO MITSUI BANKING CORPORATION
  30. INDIAN OVERSEAS BANK

Finance Companies

1. SRISAWAD FINANCE PUBLIC COMPANY LTD
  2. ADVANCE FINANCE PUBLIC COMPANY LTD. 

Credit Foncier Companies

1. SBEY CREDIT FONCIER CO., LTD.
  2. WORLD CREDIT FONCIER CO., LTD.
  3. CAPITAL LINK CREDIT FONCIER CO., LTD.

Edited by Pib

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It isn’t difficult to find though it only works on phones not tablets. There is probably an android version.

C589CBDA-38A7-4D34-AE25-EE146D10FF09.thumb.jpeg.898cf87a03d336afb9305ec478c324a6.jpeg

It is an android phone that I have, not a tablet, besides I have now cancelled my Kasikorn account and have two accounts with the Bangkok bank.

6 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

I found the easiest way is to just give them your phone, and say I want kbank app.  They know it back to front and can do it for you.

Your first sentence, that is exactly what I did, they handed me back my phone and said cannot do.

I mentioned earlier that I have 2 SCB linked accounts (on their app).  I also have two accounts at BKK Bank but have not tried to link them yet.  That will be one of the first things I do when I return to Thailand later this month.

My wife and I have been marooned in the US since Feb 2020 due to Covid, snowstorm, and an unexpected health issue (now taken care of).  The SCB/BKK Bank phone apps have been super handy during that time.....allowing me to transfer money to a variety of people in Thailand (student, gardener, others).  It's very easy to use and most all of the transfers are fee-free, even to other banks than my own.

One added feature of the SCB app, I can download statements that show all activity for a particular month or even for a year.  I used one of those statements to apply for my Non-O visa.....the Thai Embassy DC accepted it.