Vehicle Inspection every year after five years?

I was just told that you have to have your vehicle inspected every year after five years. This would be year six for both a motorcycle and a scooter.  

This is correct? Thank you for your total cooperation in this matter of vital importance.  

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Inspection motorcycles 5 years old before you can get road disc.

For car/trucks 7 years old and every year after that.

Oddly enough, I bought a nearly 5 year old m/c last summer.

When I went to do the transfer, they said "tax is due in 2 months, do you want to renew now'

I did, and no inspection was required, so it appears you can buy a bit early and avoid an inspection fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I went to do the transfer, they said "tax is due in 2 months, do you want to renew now'

I did, and no inspection was required, so it appears you can buy a bit early and avoid an inspection fee.

As far as I know it is after 5 / 7 years, so the 6th or 8th year is the start of the annual inspections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah you can do that if you want. 

In our village we have an inspection place now the scoot is 540 all in for CTPL, road tax disc and pick it up 2 days later. 

They do big bikes and car/trucks too very handy.

• Like 2

Just now, NCC1701A said:

their feet can't touch the ground on my Kawasaki Versys 650 or I might let one of them do it.  

Jokes apart it's no bother really over and done in no time if there's no que.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It's good to know that your vehicle is 'safe' to drive.

The inspection for my pick-up consisted of kicking the tyres, seeing all the lights worked, no smoke from the exhaust. and that the VIN tallied with the book. Done!

Yeah it's funny here I know but no one should rely on 7 year motors inspections as a safety check. 

I check my own vehicles if you're not able to check an older vehicle then there is places who can and my local Cockpit is great. 

That said our trucks only 3 years old.

Our Yaris & City they only inspected with a tape check of VIN number and engine number at the place we go. 

My 28 year old big bike they just stick a exhaust pollution gauge down the exhaust box and I get my road tax disc, CTPL from the inspection place two days later. ????????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I understand your concern. You now will have to fix those brakes, tail and head lights.

Actually not, as they don't check whether they actually work. Same with tyres: bald as a new born baby = can. Horn = no need. 

Just don't try getting away with an after-market exhaust or God forbid, blue coloured indicators. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:
1 hour ago, Susco said:

I understand your concern. You now will have to fix those brakes, tail and head lights.

Actually not, as they don't check whether they actually work.

Brakes, horn and lights front and rear are definitely checked at the land traffic department.

15 hours ago, Susco said:

Brakes, horn and lights front and rear are definitely checked at the land traffic department.

Maybe if you're transferring ownership, but no-one goes to LTD for the risible annual check. Or at least no-one in their right mind. 

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

It's good to know that your vehicle is 'safe' to drive.

The inspection for my pick-up consisted of kicking the tyres, seeing all the lights worked, no smoke from the exhaust. and that the VIN tallied with the book. Done!

It's hard to believe they check smoking vehicles. They only check my vin and brakes. Maybe lights.

I do not know about a bike but have been doing my car for some time now.

Totally painless, 12 minutes & 200 Bht, then go around to the wonderful drive thru relicensing booths, pay tax, upgrade blue book, get your sticker without even getting out of your car.

"Bummer" No great idea & this system is not broken

MCs are after 5 years, cars etc after 7, then every year after that. Pretty rudimentary check to be honest. I think you can tell that by the number of decrepit pickups that are on the road. Nothing like the British MOT test for sure.

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2021 at 3:20 PM, NCC1701A said:

their feet can't touch the ground on my Kawasaki Versys 650 or I might let one of them do it.  

Platform and high heel shoes /boots should take care of that,    ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

First time I had to do this year in Chiang Mai and was 7 years not 5. Basically checked brakes, lights and emissions and cost 200Baht.

Clearly it is 7 years.

Why are people so stupid that they cannot even find such a simple information ?!

• Confused 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, BritManToo said:

Avoid inspection fee? 65 THB. Wow

On 3/1/2021 at 2:02 PM, NCC1701A said:

I was just told that you have to have your vehicle inspected every year after five years. This would be year six for both a motorcycle and a scooter.  

This is correct? Thank you for your total cooperation in this matter of vital importance.  

5 years for a bike, 7 for  a car

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:58 PM, ramrod711 said:

They really are taking the emissions smoke seriously at the inspection facilities. That may be the only place judging by vehicles actually on the road.

I just hope we never end up like the UK where the annual inspection is just a way of making money for the government.

• Sad 1