Chaweng Beach - Feb. 1991 & 2021

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Saw a recent photo of Chaweng Beach which jogged a memory, and after a hunt I found it.

First photo was taken on my first visit to Koh Samui in Feb. 1991, the second photo was taken in Feb. 2021.

Well done. Good shots and from the same place.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, northsouthdevide said:

I used to walk my dog on another beach near there every morning.

Weather conditions at sea would dictate the amount of debris washed up on the shore line.

I remember it being particularly bad after the Japanese sunami.

I think its the loss of all those swaying Palm Trees that disappoints me the most.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I think its the loss of all those swaying Palm Trees that disappoints me the most.

Development certainly wipes them out, but most on Samui were 'taken out' by the Red Palm Weevil before development really took off.

I built my house in a coconut plantation. Only chopped down 3 trees and still had 12 in the garden. All around were coconut trees down to the sea (300 meters away). Within 5 years - none. I even treated the trees with DDT to try and save them. No luck. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:12 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Saw a recent photo of Chaweng Beach which jogged a memory, and after a hunt I found it.

First photo was taken on my first visit to Koh Samui in Feb. 1991, the second photo was taken in Feb. 2021.

Chaweng-81-21.thumb.jpg.4adfca768987243768dc5eac5e1cbaa9.jpg

was at Chaweng in December 2020 and the beach was close (apart from buildings) to your picture from 1991 ????

051C0373-6EC3-42CB-BC6D-E0ED29BB6B92.jpeg

Edited by MrJ
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I used to fly direct to Samui from Chiang Mai on Bangkok Airways. We would stay at Al's Hut, the last time we stayed at Sun East. I used to get up early and walk the beach all the way to the rocks. One of my favorite places in Thailand, perhaps when the pandemic ends we'll go back. By the way it has the only Burger King I've been in that you could order a beer.

• Like 1