Thailand Road Carnage: Targets announced for the reduction in road death toll

webfact

It's the motorcycles on the backstreets, 80% of all accidents are motorcycles. Focus on motorcycles and voila! problem solved.

Yes I agree with other posters that Thais cannot drive properly and cannot read or understand road signs, don't understand how road lanes work and never looks at the instrument cluster, and drive home from a day on the beach with beer or rum in a alcoholic induced coma (see a slow driver on the highway? probably drunk:)).

Yes, we see som horrific accidents now and then on the highways by the occasional bus, rot lotto and some pickup truck with the back filled with 30 people flying all over the place, but these are like those horrific plane crashes, doesn't really decrease the safety record of flying; still one of the safest modes of transport.

It is the motorcyclists that die and injure in droves all over the country.

Edited by AlQaholic

19 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Just start collecting data to know where/what to target and stop with all the hot air.

1)  Count all deaths, not just at the scene, but any death due to an accident.

All deaths to people without a license

All deaths to underage drivers 

All deaths due to people involve not having lights on or wrong lights (no red lights in rear)

All deaths due to people driving the wrong way 

All deaths due to small bikes (less than 400 cc) and all big bikes

All deaths due to no helmets

All deaths with > 2 people on motorbike

All deaths involving u-turns

Just a start but add more categories ... 

Good idea, it would at least identify where the main problem is.  But, Plod still needs to be out on the road, much, much more and there needs to be a whole swath of cameras, both at traffic lights to catch those who run the lights at red and on the motorways as speed traps.  Then the Courts (not the police) need to start handing out fairly heft fines and confiscating vehicles that are driven dangerously.  There also needs to be a concerted effort to check driving licences and Schools could be brought in to assist by checking if their pupils have licences.  Sadly the Government is more interested in buying submarines and fast jets rather than protecting their own citizens.

'It was a coming together of minds'! An oxymoron if ever there was one. The only way to reduce accidents is to get the police out there to do the job they are paid for and enforce the law. Meanwhile let's have another meeting, for which we are paid to attend, to contribute anything meaningful or not. I'm going back to bed!.????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bearing in mind that there are surely those who didn't see my previous post on this, I'll repeat it. Those who did see it, skip to the next post.

There are many reasons Thais drive as they do.

1 - I have never detected any sign of common sense in a Thai, and I've been living here for over 25 years. I am not sure how you teach that, but anyway there is no movement to do so.

2 - The Thais have a Me First mentality that is deeply ingrained, and that is the last thing you want to see in a driver.

3 - The education system demands that you do not think for yourself but listen and obey, so Thais do not develop the necessary skills to actually think. That may result in my first point above.

4 - Learning to drive in a proper and responsible manner is quite difficult, and Thais do not do difficult. Thais do 'near enough', but on the roads that isn't 'good enough'. One mistake can cost lives, so being lucky enough to get it right most of the time isn't good enough either.

5 - They have absolutely no concept that the vehicle they are attempting to operate is a potential killer. No concept at all.

6 - Along with inadequate teaching of all things about how to drive properly and safely, there is no test to determine if you have reached a standard where you are not a danger to yourself and others before you take to the road.

7 - Thais do not seem able to join the dots, and realise that if, for example, they drive at 120 kms an hour five metres behind the vehicle in front, or drive at night with no rear light (or front light if they are driving on the wrong side of the road because they have no concept of the danger), then they would have no time to react if the vehicle in front brakes suddenly. Ask any Thai what their safe braking distance is and they would have no idea.

8 - There are zero police patrols to help prevent accidents by pulling aside selfish and stupid drivers. Their only presence is setting up road blocks which seems in my experience to have only one purpose - to check your tax disc is in the window and up to date.

9 - Police have absolutely no interest in enforcing the law even when they are static beside the road, watching kids three or four on a bike go by with no helmet, no license, no ability to properly control the bike they are on. And that goes also for the parents and schools who allow Thailand's future to play Russian Roulette every time they go out. The police know they get paid anyway, so why work?

10 - The government does nothing to resolve the road death/accident toll as nothing practically can be done. The problem began decades ago when Thais first began to drive in numbers. No meaningful test was introduced and enforced, and now it is far, far too late. It would mean retraining every driver (and who would do that - it would be similar to those who teach English not being able to speak the language themselves). And it would mean the drivers having to take a proper western-style test before gaining a license. And it would mean police patrols to catch those who drive as if they are playing a video game. Now, anyone can drive as they like and put themselves and others in danger as they know they have zero chance of being caught. They can drive that way with total impunity. And it would require said (non-existent) police to actually enforce the law. And not one of those things is possible in Thailand.

To finish, nothing can or will change and survival on Thai roads will continue to be a lottery. All we can do is remember the words that were used in the 70s police drama Hill Street Blues as the force were sent out on patrol - 'Let's be careful out there'.

A quality and accurate post. 

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from some site without a supporting link has been removed as per the following:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

A post with a trolling image has been removed. 

I'm not usually in favour of men hitting women but when I read the story in our local news about the guy who slapped his wife around the head after their son badly injured himself by rear-ending a car on the "big bike" that she'd bought for her son a few days earlier my first thought was that he should have whacked her a week earlier and a lot harder. I haven't changed my mind. The lad in question was just fourteen.

A lot of work to be done on changing the mindset of these morons and the really sad thing is that they haven't bothered starting.

Hmmm... I seem to remember the last time targets were made in Thailand to reduce the deaths on the roads, road death numbers actually increased. This endless talk and blather achieves nothing

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

First a proper education in driving.. not only 5 hrs watching movies, but 30 hrs active driving with an instructor.

Secondly enforcement of the traffic law.. traffic police AND normal police have to check everytime driverslicense, alcohol, black smoke, lights in front and back and brakes.. and of course helmets.. Not ok confiscate the car till the problems are solved. ( buy new lamps, new filter, helmet  and or be sober.) Speeding confiscate the car and stupid <deleted> revoke their license and even jailtime. Fine at least 10% of the value of the car   (showroomprice)..  See what will happen.....you don't need to wait till 2027. Start tomorrow!! 

You cannot educate stupid, and that applies to the majority of Thai people.

22 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Just start collecting data to know where/what to target and stop with all the hot air.

All deaths due to people involve not having lights on or wrong lights (no red lights in rear)

They tell us when reporting traffic deaths that most occur on straight roads. These same straight roads are the ones that will enjoy an increase from 90kmh to 120kmh speed limit soon. For those on the roads including a few on this forum already going at this speed, raising the official limit to 120 simply gives license to travel up to 150 and more. Not to mention most of these drivers are using only the outer lane.

It's an important point, I think, that travelling continuously at high speed in the outer lane will make "U" Turning (in both directions) a greater hazard than it currently is!

I predict more accidents and more deaths, not less - this year, next year or the year after.

I really hope I am wrong!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Ha, ha, ha,

You mean that those with a driver's license can drive?

Ha, ha, ha.

Only 2 things will help in this country,

1.) A solid driver training.

2.) Real traffic control. 24/7/365!

And yes, I nearly forget, but maybe the most important: change of mentality, but that have to start on primary school....you are not the center of the universe.

To participate in traffic is to participate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my country, more than 50 years ago we got already a driver license training of more than half a year.

Now on this days there are about 800 road fatalities/ year on a population of 17,000,000.

When you multiplied by 4 = 68 million people, then there are no more than 3200 fatalities.

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There never are and never have been.

If the cops, whose duty it is to uphold the law could get out there and actually stop every speeding driver and red light runner they might start to get somewhere. All the meaningless chat in the world will do absolutely zero, but it is all I have ever seen in my many years here. Sadly I suspect the 2022 and 2027 numbers will remain fairly in line with what we see now.

RE - If the cops, whose duty it is to uphold the law could get out there and actually stop every speeding driver and red light runner they might start to get somewhere.

* Not that easy especially during a time when the there are no tourists to stop since the locals seems to be more or less excempted from the trafic law ...

• Thanks 1

It doesn’t surprise me a bit hearing that there are more deaths caused by reckless driving than due to COVID they could easily win a Guinness award just based on the deaths caused by road accidents alone.
As everyone in here has said, these meetings are utterly useless if they don’t ever implement any laws or regulations with regards to driving , waste of time and space really  ????????‍♂️ 
Legally, they could make a huge profit out of it,  if only the brownies would put their phones down and do their job for a change but first they need to turn out at work ????????‍♂️  it’s very dangerous out there no matter how alert and vigilant you have to stay ( even as pedestrian ) No to mention scary, especially when they jump the red light or  you find them coming at you whilst driving against the traffic, its a dangerous habit they’ve made out of it.

The is the end result when discipline is clearly lacking in every respect in this country whether being on time or on the roads..

Edited by Ramdas

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well theres a surprise, no concrete measures reported, there never are, its all wind and p++s.

Same as every time before lots of useless talk, but no action.

That is not true, there has been a great deal of change in the last 20 years.

Coincidentally I was on my way to the hospital this morning and we passed a strange coloured big bus, the side was marked Road Safety Management with the caption "Saving Lives". Somebody somewhere is thinking about it.

On that same stretch of road there are 2 experimental U turns that have been on the go for several years. The idea was that the turning traffic could turn behind a barrier into the other carriageway without the need to stop. Unfortunately like many good ideas the biggest obstacle can be the general public. The Thai desire to be first took over and vehicles were going into U turn 2 abreast which meant neither could exit safely and everything came to a standstill as previous.

It is still a work in progress and they keep making changes to try and prevent 2 vehicles turning  at the same time without restricting the size of vehicle. 

There is no dispute the police could be more proactive but the real problem stems from a personality trait/ culture that is not going to change in my  lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1