Thailand Road Carnage: Targets announced for the reduction in road death toll

webfact

On 3/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, Justgrazing said:

Yea right .. more chance of Thailand getting to the Moon before that'll happen .. 

Does this not put into perspective the

" success " in the C V fight when they seem unable to take measures against quantifiable problems like the road death toll that are there to be seen on a daily basis .. 

When they get to the moon, they will deploy a special high powered telescope to be able to observe road behavior and then they will get the big picture. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:07 PM, darksidedog said:

There never are and never have been.

If the cops, whose duty it is to uphold the law could get out there and actually stop every speeding driver and red light runner they might start to get somewhere. All the meaningless chat in the world will do absolutely zero, but it is all I have ever seen in my many years here. Sadly I suspect the 2022 and 2027 numbers will remain fairly in line with what we see now.

Exactly, Just do your job when you are on duty!!!  I've travelled all over the planet, but surely Thai police is the most inefficient ever.  

Edited by Plima
typo
  • Like 2

If the cops, whose duty it is to uphold the law could get out there and actually stop every speeding driver and red light runner they might start to get somewhere. All the meaningless chat in the world will do absolutely zero, but it is all I have ever seen in my many years here. Sadly I suspect the 2022 and 2027 numbers will remain fairly in line with what we see now.

Until the 120KPH limit comes into operation, then the figures will go up for accidents and deaths.

Until the testers know how to test, the police get off their backsides and apply the law, and fines are issued that have teeth, nothing will change. Take away and crush the care of a driver with no insurance and jail the driver. Same with the driver who has no licence, or came by the licence dishonestly. Strict  motorcycle tests and laws applied to those who ride them, and no under 16 year olds allowed to ride.

Just let me know when the leopard changes its spots.

Until the Thai population is required to learn and demonstrate sane, First World driving techniques and knowledge before being allowed behind the wheel?  Nothing will change.  Thais in generally don't have a clue how to drive safely. They don't understand basic concepts such as right-of-way, yeilding, merging, or basic driving.  Until that is addressed (which it will not be) then the carnage will continue ad-infinitum with the "authorities" and "experts" wringing their hands and exclaiming, "What can we do?" 

On 3/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, dcnx said:

You know what would help them reach this target? INCREASING the speed limit. Yea, that will fix it.

Brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that...

How extraordinarily talented these people are! Imagine that! Setting targets.....

Then, amble back from setting targets, and have a few practice shots... maybe.. but I’m sure a good lunch was had by all.

Edited by eddie61

On 3/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, webfact said:

Thailand Road Carnage: Targets announced for the reduction in road death toll

9pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

It has been revealed what the Thai authorities are aiming for in attempting to reduce the appalling death toll on the roads, recognized as some of the most deadly on earth.

A meeting was held that was chaired by the interior minister General Anupong Paojinda and his deputy Nippon Bunyamanee.

It was a coming together of minds and authorities under the auspices of the Road Safety Operation Center and essentially was looking at ways to improve road safety at the upcoming Songkran festival next month.

Nippon was quoted as saying that everyone had to pull together to "jointly consider and find ways to enhance efficiency in reducing accidents". 

9pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Almost no concrete measures were reported by 77kaoded in a flimsy report.

But there were some intriguing targets announced for limiting the carnage on the roads that has been admitted by DPM Prawit Wongsuwan to be in excess of 20,000 and perhaps as high as 24,000 to 26,000 deaths anually. 

The meeting last week heard that an accident reduction plan from 2022 to 2027 had the following targets for road death:

To reduce it to 22.68 per 100,000 in the population by 2022 and 12 per 100,000 by 2027.

Thaivisa has done the math based on a population of 70 million people.

This would mean that the target for 2022 is 15,876 dead.

And for 2027 8,400 dead. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-01

Tip to the "general": Engage the police?

On 3/1/2021 at 2:56 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Lets have a crack down and make Thailand the Hub of Cracking down on road safety, lots of meetings, lots of announcements, lots of pu-yai’s back back patting...  Lots of hot air and nothing filtering down to reality on the roads... 

Thailand Road Carnage: Targets announced......

Anyone else thinking, trees, sign posts, other motorists, motorbike... All good solid targets for the drunk and careless drivers....  

They keep coming back to these socials for the buffet and after party

On 3/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, HaoleBoy said:

Just start collecting data to know where/what to target and stop with all the hot air.

1)  Count all deaths, not just at the scene, but any death due to an accident.

All deaths to people without a license

All deaths to underage drivers 

All deaths due to people involve not having lights on or wrong lights (no red lights in rear)

All deaths due to people driving the wrong way 

All deaths due to small bikes (less than 400 cc) and all big bikes

All deaths due to no helmets

All deaths with > 2 people on motorbike

All deaths involving u-turns

Just a start but add more categories ... 

Agree with your comments, must state your first comment re no licence can easily be rectified by impounding there vehicle or motorbike until they have taken the driving test & follow up with a large fine, I know for a fact wher I live many many people do not have a licence 

On 3/1/2021 at 7:07 PM, darksidedog said:

Yes it will just continue to as it always has. I suspect the police have been to afraid to spend much time on the expressways pulling over speeding and reckless drivers as it's a deadly game of cat and mouse on Thai roads. You couldn't pay me enough to be standing on the road giving a ticket an offender. The danger has gone beyond the point of no return. Anyway the police would soon sit and play on their phones which if taken the next level could be an answer to the problem. Get them to sit and fly drones up and down the road taking pics of offending drivers number plates. That's got to fit into their motes operandi quite nicely.

• Like 1

"A meeting was held that was chaired by the interior minister General Anupong Paojinda and his deputy Nippon Bunyamanee.

It was a coming together of minds and authorities".

Minds and authorities?  I think that is debatable.  Who had the great idea of raising the speed limits on certain roads to 120kph?  Speed kills.  Especially when you have multiple speed limits for various vehicles all on the same highway.  What do they think will happen?  There will be more accidents and more deaths.  Not a good idea at all.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 4:08 PM, ikke1959 said:

First a proper education in driving.. not only 5 hrs watching movies, but 30 hrs active driving with an instructor.

Secondly enforcement of the traffic law.. traffic police AND normal police have to check everytime driverslicense, alcohol, black smoke, lights in front and back and brakes.. and of course helmets.. Not ok confiscate the car till the problems are solved. ( buy new lamps, new filter, helmet  and or be sober.) Speeding confiscate the car and stupid <deleted> revoke their license and even jailtime. Fine at least 10% of the value of the car   (showroomprice)..  See what will happen.....you don't need to wait till 2027. Start tomorrow!! 

I agree, if there is no proper training like in the UK, it's all pigs will fly stuff.

• Like 1

Every year these bozos announce death targets. Every year they do nothing to reduce the toll except checkpoints or the brainless 'crackdowns' that last a week or so. Someone is killed on a motorcycle every 30 minutes. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that actual policing will have measurable benefits. Half the people riding motorbikes have no licence. How about that for a start? Confiscate their bikes and make them walk. Never going to happen because its work for the police and there's no money in it. It is all face saving rhetoric and no action last year, this year and next year. Pathetic.

Just got back from Udon Thani, cones placed down middle of road, trucks with trailers overtaking zig zagging in and out of them (cones placed for a reason) cones sent flying into inside lane in front of oncoming traffic. Unbelievable!!????????

On 3/4/2021 at 1:28 PM, peleid said:

Just got back from Udon Thani, cones placed down middle of road, trucks with trailers overtaking zig zagging in and out of them (cones placed for a reason) cones sent flying into inside lane in front of oncoming traffic. Unbelievable!!????????

I like the word ‘<deleted>w!ttery’..... it perfectly highlights the actions you describe above.

There are a handful of countries which compete with Thailand in outrageous displays of ‘<deleted>w!ttery’... on a daily basis I'm astounded at the effort to some will go to exhibit such overwhelming displays of ‘<deleted>w!ttery’...

Thailand is in dire need of another crack-down (we haven’t had one this week)... It needs a crackdown on ‘<deleted>w!ttery’... 

The single greatest contributor to Thailands poor road safety record is not the law but out and out total and completely unadulterated ‘<deleted>w!ttery’... 

proper driving schools....taught by very qualified instructors, and they must have at least 10 to 20 lessons (proof of lessons required to allow progression to PROPER driving test, which must be atl least an hour long on Thai roads..

Then a severe theory test....say 75 percent answers to be correct....must be completed.

None of this stupid perception, reaction, and eyesight tests...or watching of a meaningless video....COULD BE THE START....of improved driving in Thailand....

teach them anticipation....and perception on the roads...and how to read the road !!!!

On 3/4/2021 at 2:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I like the word ‘<deleted>w!ttery’..... it perfectly highlights the actions you describe above.

There are a handful of countries which compete with Thailand in outrageous displays of ‘<deleted>w!ttery’... on a daily basis I'm astounded at the effort to some will go to exhibit such overwhelming displays of ‘<deleted>w!ttery’...

Thailand is in dire need of another crack-down (we haven’t had one this week)... It needs a crackdown on ‘<deleted>w!ttery’... 

The single greatest contributor to Thailands poor road safety record is not the law but out and out total and completely unadulterated ‘<deleted>w!ttery’... 

like ten pin bowling then !!!!

On 3/4/2021 at 10:03 AM, FunkyDunky58 said:

Every year these bozos announce death targets. Every year they do nothing to reduce the toll except checkpoints or the brainless 'crackdowns' that last a week or so. Someone is killed on a motorcycle every 30 minutes. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that actual policing will have measurable benefits. Half the people riding motorbikes have no licence. How about that for a start? Confiscate their bikes and make them walk. Never going to happen because its work for the police and there's no money in it. It is all face saving rhetoric and no action last year, this year and next year. Pathetic.

Does having a licence ensure they won't still kill themselves thru' stupidity?

On 3/3/2021 at 9:55 AM, paulikens said:

if they put in the same effort they did for covid they might get somewhere.

That's a reasonable of valid comment, but bear in mind the opportunity was there to do something constructive, although luck has certainly been on their side with containing CV19 - however,  with road deaths the horse bolted many years ago and is now so far out of sight it will never be caught. 

• Like 1

You mean the cops that blew through a red light at a pedestrian crossing with numerous other cars and motorcycles