certificate of residence for licence

Don't know if I have posted this in the correct place if not apologies........ I have an appointment to renew my driving 5 year Thai driving licenses for bike and car in March at the big place at side of Highway 36 near the big international school. I know from previous renewals I will need 2 certificate of residences, being 1 for each licence...... A couple of questions if you could advise please: How long are the certificates of residence valid for is it 1 month or???? ....and also, its been a while since I obtained one from Jomtien immigration so I cant remember if you collect on the same day or do you have to go next day to pick them up?

Secondly Im a bit confused about wether you need a doctors certificate to renew a 5 year licence, coz Im sure I read a newsletter saying that now all licence renewals need a doctors certificate so if anyone could clarify for me, I would really appreciate......and if a doctors cert is needed a last point or question is how long are the Docs certs valid for?

many thanks in advance for any advice given on this subject........thank you

A couple of months ago I needed only 1 certificate for the car and could use a copy for the bike. I could pick the certificate up after about 1 hour and I paid for it. But up to them how long it will take. The rest of your questions I don't know (anymore). 

• Like 1

Don't know about Jomtien but in Korat they will take a copy of the resident form so you do not have to buy 2. You can usually get the certificate the same day. Price varies by office, usually 200 to 500 baht range. Medical certificate varies by office but since they are cheap I would get one just in case. I have renewed my 5 year a couple times and one time they asked for the medical certificate and the next they did not. Always better to have more paperwork than less.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need a medical cert. to renew your 5-year license anymore. 

The  Residence cert. is free but I hear they ask for tea money there ???? 

Is the announcement made a couple of weeks ago no longer valid ???

Medical Cert needed for renewal of all driving licence types and for the purchase of a car (oddly enough).

Edited by richard_smith237

OP, given variations at various imm offices also DLT,  I  suggest first up ask agent in your location. That does not mean you use them.

They will advise what docs are required.

Medical certificate is standard 150baht if required.

BTW, I obtained ONE RC at MTT for car and bike licence few weeks back. 200baht.

Edited by DrJack54

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The  Residence cert. is free but I hear they ask for tea money there

So it is not.....

They are also of the habit of telling you that 2 are required for the 2 licences. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They are also of the habit of telling you that 2 are required for the 2 licences. 

Applying for two licenses is two separate processes. Two application forms, two payments etc.. So it is logical you need two separate certificates or at the very least a stamped copy.  It depends on what kind of day the person at the DLT is having and if you don't have a copy ready and have to disrupt the people flow by going to the photocopy area etc. 

A bank charges for a printed statement so it is also logical that Immigration charges for a printed certificate. Does the bank charge tea money? Just go with the flow. Swimming upstream is much more tiring that swimming with the flow.

Edited by VocalNeal

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The two licences are most certainly not 2 separate processes.

So you don't filling two separate application forms? Thee lady behind the counter doesn't have two different groups of paperwork. Lucky you?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

So you don't filling two separate application forms? Thee lady behind the counter doesn't have two different groups of paperwork. Lucky you?  

No actually, never had to fill in a form, lady at the desk has done it upstairs. Forms not available. I admit my last renewal predates the appointment system, and of course is only necessary every 6 years. Quite efficient, and the only time I had an issue was when a copy of the Visa transfer stamp was asked for... now that was her way of pushing me into the afternoon block of applications, never required before. 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

..... if you don't have a copy ready and have to disrupt the people flow by going to the photocopy area etc

What are you talking about. You would take along two sets of docs. No need to photocopy anything.

Did both car and bike few weeks back at Chatuchak. ONE original RC was required with of course 2 photocopies. Zero issue.

I renewed my car and motorbike licence last week in Udon Thani ,Nongsung branch.

I went to Immigration and asked for the residence certificate and said I only want 1 copy as I will use a photocopy . I was told you can not use a photocopy.I held my ground and just paid for 1.

Udon Immigration charge 500 baht.

When I read the residence certificate which was in Thai it stated that it was for a motor car. If I had asked for a second certificate it would have said motorcyle.

I then began to worry as I thought I would not be able to use a photocopy of the car certificate of residence for the motorbike licence.

I went to a clinic and got 1 medical certificate which was expensive at 300 baht. Previously I got one from the local hospital and it was 25 baht. My girlfriend renewed hers recently and was charged 80 baht at a different clinic.

Anyway I went to the Transport office and they just said go downstairs and photocopy the certificate of residence and tge medical certificate.

30 minutes later I had both car and motorbike 5 year licences. 

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The  Residence cert. is free but I hear they ask for tea money there ???? 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So it is not.....

Gentlemen once and for all let me explain that A Residence Certificate is free here in Thailand,however the administrative work involved comes at a cost and this varies from one office to the next...OK got it now :cheesy:

14 minutes ago, petermik said:

Gentlemen once and for all let me explain that A Residence Certificate is free here in Thailand,however the administrative work involved comes at a cost and this varies from one office to the next...OK got it now :cheesy:

That's just your opinion. I say that they are free. If a government office/police have any administration fee for a piece of paper, it would be no more than 100 baht. If they tell you it is 500 baht, they are doing something illegal and should be reported. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That's just your opinion. I say that they are free. If a government office/police have any administration fee for a piece of paper, it would be no more than 100 baht. If they tell you it is 500 baht, they are doing something illegal and should be reported. 

Who are you going to report them to ? And do you not think your card would be marked for causing trouble ?

Edited by mlkik

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Applying for two licenses is two separate processes. Two application forms, two payments etc.. So it is logical you need two separate certificates or at the very least a stamped copy.  It depends on what kind of day the person at the DLT is having and if you don't have a copy ready and have to disrupt the people flow by going to the photocopy area etc. 

A bank charges for a printed statement so it is also logical that Immigration charges for a printed certificate. Does the bank charge tea money? Just go with the flow. Swimming upstream is much more tiring that swimming with the flow.

Blx. I've done several renewals in Pattaya over 14 years and only ever used one cert plus copy. They'll gladly sell you two obviously if that's what you want to do, but if you're obtaining both licenses at the same time only one plus copy is called for.

so rather than go through all the hassle at Immigration to get a certificate of residence, why not just get a yellow book from your district office if you have a permanent address. It's definitely free and does not need renewing unless you change your permanent address. Just take the original and 1 copy for each license plus any other paperwork that is required.

Twozeds 

1. Previous expired licenses.

2. Resident Cert. From immigration and a copy for your big bike. (THE 400CC RULE HAS NOT GONE INTO EFFECT AS OF THE 24TH OF LAST MONTH.

3. yellow book for Immigration and copy of first page and name for DTL.

4. Medical Cert from med Clinic within 1 weeks time.

5. Passport and again front and Visa copies 2each for 2 licenses.

6. Photo for Immigration they would prefer 2.

7. Money

Be prepared for 1 hour video, 1 hour que for eye and perrifrual tests. Check with office for start times. Typically the smaller offices will not entertain you past 13,:30.

Happy hunting.

Renewed my car and bike license a week ago. 

What I was not expecting was to have a copy of both the old licenses. All offices operate under their own rules so may not apply depending on where you are. The rest was standard except now a medical is mandatory for renewal. Cost was 100 baht. 

No waiting but had to go through the colour, reaction and depth perception test. This was also not required on my last renewal. 

As I have a pink ID card, Certificate of Residency was not an issue for me. 

I applied for a certificate of residence this morning at the temporary place at Muang Thong Thani.  They needed the application form and copies of the receipt of notification of 90 day report, information page of passport, current visa, arrival date stamp and the T.M.6 departure form.  They confirmed my address via the 90 day report, so did not require any proof of address.  They also said they did not need any photo.

The fee was Bt 200 per letter and the certificate would be posted to my home address within 2 weeks.  They gave me an EMS tracking number.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, StateSix said:

The fee was Bt 200 per letter and the certificate would be posted to my home address within 2 weeks.  They gave me an EMS tracking number.

Just for your planning.... currently it seems the RC is being posted within couple of days. They always state 2 weeks.

I have renewed car and motorbike license 4 times now in 2 different provinces. I have never been asked for 2 original residence certificates. One original and one copy has always been accepted.

Another thing: I have read somewhere that they expire after 30 days? the last one i got did not have any expiry date. When i used it it was about 7 weeks old and it went straight through. No questions asked.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

So you paid at Immi office at MTT for EMS?

This is his entire post.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:26 PM, StateSix said:

The 200 baht was for EMS.

• Like 1