Drone Pilots (FPV) in BKK

nullx8

Some time ago I built two drones from scratch. A LKTR120 and a Bolt Black Ops. And then I tried to learn to fly them...

Short story, I still have them but they are in a drawer unused for some time.

I hope you will find some likeminded pilots. Maybe one day when I have more time I will continue with my flight training. From time to time I still watch Mr. Steel videos.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

(Drones) "must not fly over cities, villages, communities or areas where people are gathered"

Kind of rules out BKK...  

not so sure how this is in any way related to my initial post about finding peoples that have the same hobby.

Edited by nullx8
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I built two drones from scratch. A LKTR120 and a Bolt Black Ops. And then I tried to learn to fly them...

Short story, I still have them but they are in a drawer unused for some time.

I hope you will find some likeminded pilots. Maybe one day when I have more time I will continue with my flight training. From time to time I still watch Mr. Steel videos.

haha yeah the learning curve is steep, the best way is just use your controller, invest like $12 for Velocidrone simulator, (it pretty good simulates gravity, battery behaviors and other stuff)

that will save you ALOT of money. i have a HUGE box full of broken parts haha, (but worth it)

do you have the LiPo's on storage voltage ? its important if you not use them, this batteries are not made to sit around somewhere waiting for you to fly.

well if you change your mind, let's hang out ????

9 minutes ago, nullx8 said:

Bolt Black Ops

is that a V2R5, thats a flying tank ???? like the BQE Banger .. indestructible ..  where did you get it from ? this stuff is really hard to come by around here.

2 hours ago, nullx8 said:

is that a V2R5, thats a flying tank ???? like the BQE Banger .. indestructible ..  where did you get it from ? this stuff is really hard to come by around here.

I bought the frame and all the other parts in 2016 after I saw this video (and some others):

I ordered it directly from Bolt RC, I don't remember if that was in Australia or New Zealand.

And I had all the other parts which were top of the line in 2016. Betaflight F3 flight controller, Taranis and more.

Here are two of the pictures of my build in process from that time.

I forgot the exact name of the frame. It's the Bolt Black Ops which had different legs depending on the size of the props. I have the version for the 5" props.

WP_20160705_033.jpg.958e3c6c13e7c7505c8dc729d907acad.jpg

WP_20170212_12_15_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.222582fb9dd99cf7552c74b5f05a772f.jpg

If you find people who fly these things in Bangkok let me know. Maybe I join you one day and maybe it will motivate me to learn flying. The good simulators were developed after I tried to fly. ???? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nullx8 said:

haha yeah the learning curve is steep, the best way is just use your controller, invest like $12 for Velocidrone simulator, (it pretty good simulates gravity, battery behaviors and other stuff)

that will save you ALOT of money. i have a HUGE box full of broken parts haha, (but worth it)

do you have the LiPo's on storage voltage ? its important if you not use them, this batteries are not made to sit around somewhere waiting for you to fly.

well if you change your mind, let's hang out ????

Yes, my batteries are all on storage voltage. Or at least they were some time ago. I was surprised how good they keep that storage voltage even after years of storage. I have no idea how usable these batteries would be now.

Important: I know the risk and treat them accordingly. 

6 hours ago, nullx8 said:

not so sure how this is in any way related to my initial post about finding peoples that have the same hobby.

Pardon me for letting people know that the hobby is illegal in the area you indicated.  (anyone flying FPV in BKK and arround ?)

I figured it would be good information for anyone not wanting to incur fines unknowingly.   Or (like me) wasting a bunch of money on a drone I couldn't use as I had planned.

Carry on and let us know how it goes.

Edited by impulse

I’ve been thinking about installing a FPV camera in one of my sailplanes most likely in my blanic it’s easy to fly I’d imagine learning to fly one would be similar to rc aircraft get an experienced pilot to get you 3 mistakes high and stand by to rescue your craft till you learn lol have fun!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tug said:

I’ve been thinking about installing a FPV camera in one of my sailplanes most likely in my blanic it’s easy to fly I’d imagine learning to fly one would be similar to rc aircraft get an experienced pilot to get you 3 mistakes high and stand by to rescue your craft till you learn lol have fun!!

I am pretty sure learning to fly line of sight is more difficult than FPV because forward is not always forward. With FPV it's "easy", forward is forward. By now there are good simulation programs out there to learn to fly on a computer. The good pilots confirm that the simulations are so good that people can learn on a simulation and then use the acquired skills in real life. 

• Like 1

What flight controllers and, most importantly, firmware do you guys use?  I fly quadcopters back home in UK using iNav if I want GPS functionality (position-hold, return-to-base, etc.) or Betaflight for line of sight racing.

Personally I think that line of site is easier for learning compared with fpv, especially with the small (5" or so) quads.  Just get a lot of spare blades and practice tail-in to start with.  In fact you can configure Betaflight so that the quad always moves in the direction of your transmitter sticks irrespective of which way it's facing, to make things easier.

24 minutes ago, abenn said:

What flight controllers and, most importantly, firmware do you guys use?  I fly quadcopters back home in UK using iNav if I want GPS functionality (position-hold, return-to-base, etc.) or Betaflight for line of sight racing.

Personally I think that line of site is easier for learning compared with fpv, especially with the small (5" or so) quads.  Just get a lot of spare blades and practice tail-in to start with.  In fact you can configure Betaflight so that the quad always moves in the direction of your transmitter sticks irrespective of which way it's facing, to make things easier.

I used at that time the Betaflight F3 flight controller with I think Betaflight version 3.1 (whatever was the newest about middle of 2016).

My idea was to learn to fly a racing quad. I didn't have GPS. I tried to fly acro mode because that is what all good pilots use. And everybody wrote at that time it's best to start right away in that flight mode. Because learning first another flight mode might be easier at the beginning but then it's more difficult to relearn in acro mode.

I didn't spend much time on learning to fly at that time and then I was busy with other things.

I tried to learn line of sight first. The main reason was/is that if something goes wrong with FPV a pilot should be able to control the quad with line of sight. 

I learned a little FPV flying in a simulator and I thought that was easier than line of sight.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

I found that Angle mode is good for learning because it doesn't allow you to over-correct.  But it's up to personal preferences, I suppose.  My version must be about the same as yours for, since it works, I don't see any need to update it.  I much prefer the real thing over a simulator though, even though crashes cost a bit more ????

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 6:48 PM, impulse said:

Pardon me for letting people know that the hobby is illegal in the area you indicated.  (anyone flying FPV in BKK and arround ?)

I figured it would be good information for anyone not wanting to incur fines unknowingly.   Or (like me) wasting a bunch of money on a drone I couldn't use as I had planned.

Carry on and let us know how it goes.

There are literally dozens of quads and other small flying machines available, including FPV's that fall under the 2.5kg weight threshold at which point local regulations and restrictions kick-in.

During lockdown, I bought a B350 quad on Lazada, very small but designed to bounce off walls and not do any harm.  I had a lot of fun killing lockdown time learning to fly it around my apartment and my building's parking garage. 

Some enthusiasts have managed to convert even this tiny model into an FPV.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-3-mini-drone-folding-aerial-remote-control-plane-360-i1778720456-s5189892731.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.101.640860cefsKVUu&search=1

3 hours ago, dddave said:

There are literally dozens of quads and other small flying machines available, including FPV's that fall under the 2.5kg weight threshold at which point local regulations and restrictions kick-in.

During lockdown, I bought a B350 quad on Lazada, very small but designed to bounce off walls and not do any harm.  I had a lot of fun killing lockdown time learning to fly it around my apartment and my building's parking garage. 

Some enthusiasts have managed to convert even this tiny model into an FPV.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-3-mini-drone-folding-aerial-remote-control-plane-360-i1778720456-s5189892731.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.101.640860cefsKVUu&search=1

I recall 2015 when they first passed the new rules and people were getting banged up for flying them in town.  Mostly, it seemed to be about peeping into windows and later, around protest sites.  That's when I gave mine away.   I wasn't willing to risk my job and my stay in Thailand for a hobby.

If you read the linked MOT rules (Article 5-2-i) , it specifically forbids flying hobby (small) drones in cities, villages, communities and other areas where people gather.

I have no doubt people get away with flying them in town.  It's like a lot of things in Thailand.  Illegal, but tolerated- until you run into the wrong authorities.  Personally, I'd rather know and make a decision based on knowledge that it's against the law.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, impulse said:

I recall 2015 when they first passed the new rules and people were getting banged up for flying them in town.  Mostly, it seemed to be about peeping into windows and later, around protest sites.  That's when I gave mine away. 

One last remark about the current situation.  Operating a drone around protest sites seemed to be a hot button for authorities, especially when some of the posted drone footage that went viral didn't match their carefully scripted narrative about who did what to whom first. 

Now's probably not the best time to test their tolerance.

A question for drone gurus. I have zero experience flying one but am wondering if there is a mini drone I can fly indoors. I live in a fairly large apartment and the thought of a little thing buzzing about tickles me.

I guess it would have to be something that's not only tiny but stable at low height and low speeds plus be very responsive to controls as obviously there is little room for error.

Is there something for me out there? Or should I stick with wasting my time on Netflix?

10 hours ago, Why Me said:

A question for drone gurus. I have zero experience flying one but am wondering if there is a mini drone I can fly indoors. I live in a fairly large apartment and the thought of a little thing buzzing about tickles me.

I guess it would have to be something that's not only tiny but stable at low height and low speeds plus be very responsive to controls as obviously there is little room for error.

Is there something for me out there? Or should I stick with wasting my time on Netflix?

Have a look at Mr. Steel's videos. This is one of them. He is one of the best pilots and he knows what he is talking about.

And if you learned how to fly then you can try this one. With a racing drone through a multi million dollar villa. ????

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Why Me said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-3-mini-drone-folding-aerial-remote-control-plane-360-i1778720456-s5189892731.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.45.52c27196buFS0F&search=1

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I had no experience and bought this to amuse myself during lockdown.  Pretty near indestructible; bounces off floors, walls ceilings, lamps & cats.  Really fun to fly once you learn the basics and not to over-control.

Known mostly as the "H-36", many videos on you tube.  Really best indoors as outdoors it's difficult in wind.

Batteries last for 6-7 minutes flying time and take 2 hours+ to recharge so try to find an offer that includes 2 or 3 extra batteries.  They are sold online separately but the connecter is unique and sellers constantly mislabel them and send the wrong style.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dddave said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-3-mini-drone-folding-aerial-remote-control-plane-360-i1778720456-s5189892731.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.45.52c27196buFS0F&search=1

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I had no experience and bought this to amuse myself during lockdown.  Pretty near indestructible; bounces off floors, walls ceilings, lamps & cats.  Really fun to fly once you learn the basics and not to over-control.

Known mostly as the "H-36", many videos on you tube.  Really best indoors as outdoors it's difficult in wind.

Batteries last for 6-7 minutes flying time and take 2 hours+ to recharge so try to find an offer that includes 2 or 3 extra batteries.  They are sold online separately but the connecter is unique and sellers constantly mislabel them and send the wrong style.

I just had a look at that lazada link.

I love their "accurate" descriptions. 

In this case: 

• Gross weight / net weight. (kgs): 12.5/11KG