'Passport error' keeps man's body at Thai hospital

webfact

'Passport error' keeps man's body at Thai hospital

pkt.jpg

FAMILY PHOTO

A woman whose stepfather died in Thailand two weeks ago says the hospital there will not release his body in a mix-up over passport numbers.

David D., 75, who retired to Phuket 15 years ago, will join a mass cremation at the hospital on Wednesday if the issue cannot be rectified.

Gemma Swift said she was "pleading" with embassy staff in Thailand to resolve a "purely administrative issue"

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56239435

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2021-03-02

• Sad 3

per the linked article, the passport numbers didnt match ; good example of why you should keep your old passports; thais use our old passport numbers for various things, they just need a number; they dont know the numbers change with each new passport

• Like 1

Sounds little strange, as immigration should glue the old and the new passport numbers together in their system, and if he had any extension of stay, which he probably had when living in Thailand for 15 years, he would likely have moved his entry visa stamp and extension to stay into the new passport, including the number of the old passport.

In most countries you can get an overview of the old passport numbers that where assigned to you. Mostly the foreingn affairs office or the multiplicity can provide you this certified overview. 

With the renewal of my old passport they also printed on on the page next the ID page that this passport is the replacement of the passport with the number ... which was valid from ... until ..  and the namen of the issuer.

Had this also printed in the passports before. have seen this also in other western passports the last few years. 

Unless this is about a bill at the hospital being unpaid then I can see no reason why the hospital wouldn't just let his relatives have their wishes. Surely any 'identity' issue can be resolved later. Just sounds strange. Yes, I know TiT.  

• Like 1

A quick warning to all who don't have a direct relative in Thailand, I.E if your not married to your partner and don't make a power of attorney, then your body will not be released until a family member turns up to make the claim.  

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

A quick warning to all who don't have a direct relative in Thailand, I.E if your not married to your partner and don't make a power of attorney, then your body will not be released until a family member turns up to make the claim.  

There is no requirement that a family member come in person to claim a body.

Body will not be released until the relevant Embassy gives the OK, and Embassies will do this only after they have informed next of kin and received next of kin's authorization for arrangements. This could involve having a person in Thailand handle matters, or hiring a company (there are some specializing in this and not expensive) to do it. in some cases I think an Embassy make make the arrangements with funds sent from the family though of course they prefer not to have to do that.

I have first hand involvement in cases of people who died here with all their family abroad. In no case did the family have to come in person. But they did have to pay for disposal of the body and appoint someone in country to handle it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no requirement that a family member come in person to claim a body.

Body will not be released until the relevant Embassy gives the OK, and Embassies will do this only after they have informed next of kin and received next of kin's authorization for arrangements. This could involve having a person in Thailand handle matters, or hiring a company (there are some specializing in this and not expensive) to do it. in some cases I think an Embassy make make the arrangements with funds sent from the family though of course they prefer not to have to do that.

I have first hand involvement in cases of people who died here with all their family abroad. In no case did the family have to come in person. But they did have to pay for disposal of the body and appoint someone in country to handle it.

I stand corrected But I suppose i meant to say A family member gets involved.