IO asked for 365-days bank statement for retirement visa

Just extended my retirement visa. My bank account has 800K for the last 3 years - nothing changed/no movement at all. But IO  asked for 365 days bank statement - yes, DAILY bank statement. As I don't have it, the IO asked me to sign a form that next extension I have to provide that 365-days statement. 

I don't think the bank will grant me that next year.

Has anyone encountered this? 

Any idea how to go around it - since it is impossible to provide?
Thanks. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not impossible to provide - most people from UK/USA/Oz are already providing such a statement for extensions based on income so bank are well aware of what is required and immigration has become used to handling them.  The only catch is it normally has to be ordered a week or so early from bank hqs as local branch can only print out six months.  

Which immigration office?

Think io meant 12 months of bank statements. This rubbish seems to be creeping in at some offices.

Bank statements should not be required for money in bank method. Many folk are now using FD a/c and keeping 800k+ in account all year. Monthly statements is just another example of rubbish they come up with.

Yes there are exceptions such as people using their everyday a/c for "money in bank method" and as a result with many transactions they can be consolidated.

OP, your account certainly should not require statements.

14 minutes ago, ThomasKrungtep said:

I have to provide that 365-days statement

I'd ask for clarification on this. Maybe an example.

A bank should be able to provide a statement for pretty much any period, within reason. They may charge for this, and require a few days to povide it.

But it won't show 365 daily entries, in case that wasn't obvious. It will only show activity. For most IO's this should be sufficient.

The requirements have changed for 800k method and now requires proof that funds remain in account at 800k or above for 3 months after issue of extension and 2 months before new application and at all other times above 400k.  This was not required previously so understand reason for providing statements now to clearly show this.  Passbook stamps can miss months (or even years). 

32 minutes ago, ThomasKrungtep said:

Just extended my retirement visa. My bank account has 800K for the last 3 years - nothing changed/no movement at all. But IO  asked for 365 days bank statement - yes, DAILY bank statement. As I don't have it, the IO asked me to sign a form that next extension I have to provide that 365-days statement. 

Thanks. 

... while useless & annoying in your (and my) case it's technically not that big a deal mate, just find out if your bank/branch can provide a '12 month statement' on the spot or if you'll have to wait for it for up to a week.

In case of the latter you'll have to order it a week before your next extension, then go in again to pick it up together with the standard bank letter which you'll still need anyway a day before or on the day of extension ... cost in my case THB 200 + 100.

PITA? 4 sure. 

OP,

Where you say 365 day bank statement that doesn't mean the statement will have 365 daily lines/balances....and the IO officer didn't mean that.  It just means if the balance say change 20 times over the last 365 days the annual statement will show 20 lines entries....if the balance only change twice like maybe for an interest payment in  mid year and end of year then it would show two lines/balances.    When getting a statement "every" balance change will be shown whereas on a passbook every balance change may not be shown especially when you don't update the passbook frequently.   Once again, an annual statement will show "every" balance change....whether a balance change occurred daily or just a few times over the year.  Easy to get from your bank....no problem.

A bank can provide your an "annual" statement (i.e., looks back 12 months) no problem, however, your branch will most likely have to request/order it from their HQ which will take 3-5 business days.  At the branch level normally they can only provide a 6 month statement at most banks....just the way most Thai banks are.   An annual statement will also have more formality to it in terms of looks, headings, signature/stamp, etc., that a 6 months statement/query you get at your local branch or can pull with your ibanking.

Quite a few IOs request annual statements especially if using the monthly income method.  And now even using the Bt800K deposit method IOs want to ensure you lived-up to the terms of your last retirement extension by not dropping below Bt800K for the 3 months after extension approval, then not dropping below Bt400K for the next 7 months, and then having Bt800K for two months before your next application for extension....not dropping below those levels at "any point in time" during the 12 months which was the requirement.  Fail to live up to that requirement and they will not approve your next extension application because you didn't to live-up to the requirements of your last extension.

from Lopburi3 - 'funds remain in account at 800k or above for 3 months after issue of extension and 2 months before new application and at all other times above 400k.'

.. so next time, in addition to monthly statement, might as well ask the bank to specify in their letter that the bank has maintained 800K 3 months after extension and 2 months and at all other times above 400K.

Thanks to all the comments. Cheers

3 hours ago, ThomasKrungtep said:

Thanks. 

Just regularly updating your bankbook(s) and photocopying them for an extension at Jomtien worked for me recently.

Keep in mind, whatever you might be told by calling the Immigration phone hotline won't necessarily be the same as what the IOs at BKK CW actually end up enforcing.

You'll likely be held to whatever whim/policy the IOs at BKK CW are actually enforcing, regardless... And even that may vary from IO to IO at times.

1 hour ago, ThomasKrungtep said:

Chaeng Wattana

I asked same question "which immigration office" post #2.

Why were you asked about bank statements for money in bank method at CW. 

I don't recall one post re that request at CW.

I obtained my 12 month extension at CW early November last year. Had to show updated bankbook. Activity on the day. Bank letter. Photocopies of my bankbook detail page and last 12 months. 

Are you using your everyday account (living expenses etc) and doing many entries into your bankbook each month?

If you are then they may be consolidated.

Without sounding rude was this your first extension at CW because I find your experience very unusual. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly!

It's gets so, so tiring on this forum when people post the 'immigration required this', 'I went to immigration and...', etc., etc., etc.

WHERE and WHICH OFFICE are perhaps the most pertinent aspects of all the issues and questions that arise from our dealings with immigration. 

OK. For the record, my last extension, in December '20 at Chaeng Wattana, retirement, banked method, did not require any 12-month bank account activity statement.

3 hours ago, ThomasKrungtep said:

next time, in addition to monthly statement, might as well ask the bank to specify in their letter that the bank has maintained 800K 3 months after extension and 2 months and at all other times above 400K.

Thanks to all the comments. Cheer

The bank will do no such thing. 

9 minutes ago, rwilem said:

OK. For the record, my last extension, in December '20 at Chaeng Wattana, retirement, banked method, did not require any 12-month bank account activity statement.

Ok so what exactly did you provide regarding the money in bank method for extension (retirement) at CW.

I provided bank letter.

Photocopies of all pages for last 12 months. In my case one page.

Photography of first page details name a/c #.

I made a deposit at the time of obtaining bank letter on day of my appointment. The clerk photocopied this page. I note that others have posted that deposit on the day was not required, however I was pulled up once and made to run downstairs and make a deposit.

Frankly I think the OP,s account is sus. When I asked for clarification earlier none was forthcoming. Don't think there will be.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Ok so what exactly did you provide regarding the money in bank method for extension (retirement) at CW.

I provided bank letter.

I made a deposit at the time of obtaining bank letter on day of my appointment. The clerk photocopied this page. I note that others have posted that deposit on the day was not required, however I was pulled up once and made to run downstairs and make a deposit.

Frankly I think the OP,s account is sus. When I asked for clarification earlier none was forthcoming. Don't think there will be.

Dr. J, I provided the exact same as you, with the exception that I didn't make any deposit/withdrawl on extension day. Just an update of the account bank book at the CW branch (BKK bank), and go get that copied for submission to immigration. 

Got my bank letter the day before in town, I just find it's easier for me to do it that way.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why were you asked about bank statements for money in bank method at CW. 

I don't recall one post re that request at CW.

I obtained my 12 month extension at CW early November last year. Had to show updated bankbook. Activity on the day. Bank letter. Photocopies of my bankbook detail page and last 12 months. 

Are you using your everyday account (living expenses etc) and doing many entries into your bankbook each month?

If you are then they may be consolidated.

Without sounding rude was this your first extension at CW because I find your experience very unusual. 

The bank account with 800K is not used for living expenses - no movement at all. 

This is my 3rd renewal, using the same bank account from the beginning. That's why I'm surprised.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I provided bank letter.

On the day of renewal, put 100bat on my bank account, photocopied the passbook. Note that also had letter from the bank as per the requirements. Again, the bank account had 800K for 3 years, no movement at all, except for the 100bat deposit on renewal day. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasKrungtep said:

The bank account with 800K is not used for living expenses - no movement at all. 

This is my 3rd renewal, using the same bank account from the beginning. That's why I'm surprised.

But the law has recently changed from only having to show for the months prior to extension to now have to prove money stays in account year round (at 400k or more).   So this seems to be in response to that change.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Keep in mind, whatever you might be told by calling the Immigration phone hotline won't necessarily be the same as what the IOs at BKK CW actually end up enforcing.

You'll likely be held to whatever whim/policy the IOs at BKK CW are actually enforcing, regardless... And even that may vary from IO to IO at times.

Yes and that's exactly where the problem lies each office makes up their own rules and they're allowed to do so based on the many posts here. Until they all get on the same page which of course we'll never happened there's always going to be confusion.

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The requirements have changed for 800k method and now requires proof that funds remain in account at 800k or above for 3 months after issue of extension and 2 months before new application and at all other times above 400k.  This was not required previously so understand reason for providing statements now to clearly show this.  Passbook stamps can miss months (or even years). 

And pray tell how would one do what your suggesting with a Fixed Deposit Account that has a fixed term.  I have never had an issue, and I have never been asked to show any bank statements other than the bank letter indicating my account has XXX Baht in it as well as a photocopy of the book with a minimum deposit on the day of my extension.  The only time the Bank will update my book is when the year is up and the interest is credited, and then on the day of my extension when I deposit another 1,000 Baht.  The requirements say one thing but in reality what some of the IO offices are asking is above and beyond.  I understand they are looking for anyone falling below the minimum thresholds to deny the extension, and that is specifically why many of us have opened up a separate account which is a fixed term deposit account, and have another one for our daily expenditures.  Just for fun, I saved my monthly statements in a folder on my computer, but did not print them out.  In total it would have been 216 pages.  I use my regular account daily, making debit card purchases or online payments out of that account.  God forbid an IO would have to look through all of those statements to determine if I was above the 400K Baht everyday.  So I just save them the trouble and do it the easy way.

9 hours ago, Martin71 said:

Phone the Immigration Hotline ...1178.

Usually helpful..(at least when I've phoned them).

No one answers a fair amount of time. I guess you have to sort of catch them when they care. But I too was impressed with how easy it was to understand them and get the help.

30 minutes ago, moe666 said:

also required in Chiang Mai

It is not required at CW. 

This thread is one report. 

I have not seen any other post of this experience at CW. There are MANY extensions based on retirement using money in bank method every day and the reports (even in this thread) of bank statements not required.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But the law has recently changed from only having to show for the months prior to extension to now have to prove money stays in account year round (at 400k or more).   So this seems to be in response to that change.

Recently? When?

As I have posted above along with others, nothing other than photocopied pages of bankbook showing last 12 months is required. Of course along with bankbook, bank letter etc. My last extension CW was Nov last year.

Archived