IO asked for 365-days bank statement for retirement visa

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

am sure if I tried to show the 800K in the regular savings then they would want to see 12 months of statements

Makes sense however many are using a dedicated savings account and are not providing statements.

Bit weird but I use 600+ in FD account and 200+ in a savings account combined to satisfy requirements.

Have never been asked for bank statements.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Makes sense however many are using a dedicated savings account and are not providing statements.

Bit weird but I use 600+ in FD account and 200+ in a savings account combined to satisfy requirements.

Have never been asked for bank statements.

Maybe because we used the appointment system, but then who knows why it's all over the board for some.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well thankyou. Yours is first report that I have ever read regarding bank statements being required for retirement extensions based on money in the bank at CW.

In fact in this very thread people have posted that the statements were not required and in fact obtained recent extensions (January). One example above post by @The Theory

I hope others can  confirm your personal experience. The topic quickly morphed into bank statements required for INCOME METHOD.

Strange that the only report I have seen re statements required for money in bank method CW is yours just now. Also the OP,s.

I have pointed out here and other threads that if your using your day to day bank account with many many transactions then yes the io may wish to see bank statements as with multiple transactions they can be consolidated. 

My last extension was Nov. My experience and many others is opposite to yours.

Strange at one of the most consistent immigration offices CW.

There will be a difference in the required proof depending on whether you keep the 800K in a Savings account, or a Fixed term deposit account.

If it's in a fixed term deposit account, there are no transactions recorded other than any interest added and tax deducted, therefore an update of your Passbook, which will bring the balance forward to the current date, would be sufficient evidence.

If the 800K is in a Savings account, then not all transactions may be registered (due to possible consolidation by some banks when not regularly updating your passbook).

Also when doing many transactions (e.g. by using the debit-card of that Savings account for all your bying) the Immigration Officer does not like having to go through all lines on your Passbook (probably more than one when doing so), whereas a 12 month bank statement is far more easy to read by just referring to the 'balance' column, to ensure that you met the financial requirements.

NOTE: Even so there are IOs that do not (yet) require a 12-month bank-statement even when you are using the Funds-in-Bank method for your 1-year retirement extension.  But to avoid being sent back to get hold of such a 12-month bank-statement, it is prudent to enquire at your local bank branch how much time they need to produce that 12-month bank-statement so that you can order it in time (depending on the bank branch you have your account, it might take 5 working days when it has to be provided by Bank Headquarters).

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If the 800K is in a Savings account, then not all transactions may be registered (due to possible consolidation by some banks when not regularly updating your passbook).

I read this often. I think it's more the number of transactions.

Last year I remained on island from March to August on an island due to covid situation.

My savings account (dedicated for extensions only) needed to use that account. From May till Aug I made  ten 20k atm withdrawals over that period. No banks on island hence no updates.

When back in Bangkok I quickly topped it up.

All ten transactions were shown. Subsequently obtained my annual extension (money in bank method) November.

Of course no bank statements required.

I don't read about bank statements required at CW. To the contrary I read many reports that mirror my experience with or without FD account. Even in this thread several.

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If it's in a fixed term deposit account, there are no transactions recorded other than any interest added and tax deducted, therefore an update of your Passbook, which will bring the balance forward to the current date, would be sufficient evidence

... again, yes, that's the theory Peter, deducted from a rational, logical train of thoughts - which might be the very reason we see more of the '800k in FD untouched, but still need 12mth statements now ...' reports poppin' up, 555 ...

A (copy of a) bankbook to a FD handled as described above in fact is even easier to figure out than all those statements, but it does sort of postulate the reader has at least halfways a grab of the concept of FIXED accounts, or any accounts ... or simply of the concept of 'savings' to begin with!

Unless you live very close to the local Imm Office, and you enjoy visiting them, I would always recommend that when using the Funds-in-Bank method (irrespective whether you have an Fixed Deposit-account or a regular Savings account) to apply for your 1-year extension of stay, that you enquire beforehand at your local bank-branch how long it will take them to provide you with the 12-month statement and have it available on the date you plan to do your 1-year extension application.

Yes it will cost you somewhere between 100 and 500 THB to get that statement, but it is money well-spent if the alternative would be that the Immigration Officer refuses your application because of that 'missing document'.  

We all know that IOs can and do change their requirements 'on the fly' so the fact that another poster in similar situation did not need it for his 1-year extension at your IO, is no guarantee that the rules have not changed in the mean time or that you your application is handled by another Imm officer that uses his own interpretation of what is needed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, DrJack54 said:

Well thankyou. Yours is first report that I have ever read regarding bank statements being required for retirement extensions based on money in the bank at CW.

Not just my report, but the first post in this thread which you must have read also? I was just pointing out that you saying

On 3/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, DrJack54 said:

It is not required at CW.

isn't helpful when others (such as myself) have been asked for one year statements and sent away to get them when I tried without.

I have a friend who never shows a statement and that's OK for him, but he only does about 6 withdraws a year on his account with a book update. For me it isn't OK but my account has a lot of activity throughout the year, too much for a bank book.

YMMV.

3 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

OK but my account has a lot of activity throughout the year, too much for a bank book

Well there in is your issue. I have posted OFTEN in many threads not to use a bank account for both immigration extension requirements and same account for every day use. Some time back a chap was bemoaning CW requiring bank statements. As it turned out he was doing online transactions MANY per day. His transactions were being consolidated. Think banks have some sort of limit per month. The lesson is if using money in bank method have a designated account for that purpose. Having said that, during covid last year I was on an island (no banks) and made 11 withdrawals over period of months. When back to Bangkok I topped up the account and every transaction was shown.

Archived