Halfway stop Pattaya to Chiang Rai?

51 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I stopped at Tak last time I drove, there's a very big hotel there, but not expensive.

I want to avoid Tak. I was there in Mae Sot about 5 months ago just before Covid was found among the illegal Burmese immigrants. So I want to steer clear of possible infections. I travel a lot but the Chiang Rai area is my favourite. It's just that I normally drive a circuitous route touching Chaiyaphum and Petchabun and this time want to drive directly to CR. I am looking to stop at a comfortable hotel somewhere near to highway 1. That's why I'm looking for suggestions from possibly someone who has stayed along the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Best to stay a long way from Chiang Rai its pure poison at the moment. Smoke everywhere. Go South.. You are wary of Covid but the smoke is far more dangerous. Good luck where ever you go. 

Screenshot_2021_0302_090218.png

uck a duck, that is bad bad bad.

Phitsanulok is as boring as bat <deleted>, but if you're just interested in getting your head down for a bit then the Pailyin Hotel looked OK. Don't do as I did and some booking sites do and confuse it with the Petch Pailyin round the corner.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

Hi. I would like suggestions for a comfortable hotel somewhere about half way between Pattaya and Chiang Rai to stay at for a night on a road trip. Price up to 1500 baht but prefer lower. Parking facility required of course. Regards, thoengthaied.

Both Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok have good hotels around the 450-600 Bt mark and good parking.

14 hours ago, Denim said:

I have stayed In Kamphaengphet several times which is roughly half way. The town has a long history and there are a lot of Ancient ruins to see. 

I stayed at the Chakungrao Riverview hotel which has a big car park. Rooms at various prices around the 1000 mark, some cheaper some more. Comfortable enough

โรงแรม ชากังราว ริเวอร์วิว

Chakungrao Riverview Hotel, Kamphaeng Phet – Updated 2021 Prices

A bit dated and nothing special but central and within walking distance of the night bazaar where there is a lot of food on offer ( pity seating is limited ).

The historical park is a short drive away and you can drive around the ruins without getting out of your car if its too hot.

Kamphaeng Phet – Travel guide at Wikivoyage

Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park

I agree. Other than Sukhothai, it has the most attractions especially if you are a history buff. Several good Thai restaurants and a good Western one (Oasis). People are polite and welcoming to foreigners.

23 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

Oh, sorry.I didn't know that. I've only been in Thailand for 14 years. Do you know any good hotels?

Ever heard of Agoda, Booking.com or TripAdvisor in your 14 years here?

Edited by orchis