zzzzz

Today
First off to Immigration for 90 day and COR
submitted 90 day inside, 10 people or so sitting down

Than submitted for cor, “300 baht please”

“but its free”

“ok, free for you”

Than off to motor vehicle dept, information counter

Need show COR, Copy of passport, visa and medical< didn’t have that, so popped around the corner to Dr Apainya clinic for it… 100 baht

Back to MVD and than given a report date of March 19th, training starts 8:45 am

It was very busy!!

The thieving <deleted> at immigration always try and gouge 300 baht for the CoR. Well done for not falling for it.  Also, only one CoR is needed if you are renewing 2 licenses. Are the MVD still giving the option of doing all the paperwork and "pre-testing" at Rajhabat Uni? This made the process so much quicker and easier when I did mine last year,

53 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Today
First off to Immigration for 90 day and COR
submitted 90 day inside, 10 people or so sitting down

Than submitted for cor, “300 baht please”

“but its free”

“ok, free for you”

Than off to motor vehicle dept, information counter

Need show COR, Copy of passport, visa and medical< didn’t have that, so popped around the corner to Dr Apainya clinic for it… 100 baht

Back to MVD and than given a report date of March 19th, training starts 8:45 am

It was very busy!!

What training? I thought you did not have to go thru that on a 5 year renewal. Do you already have a 5 year drivers license?

28 minutes ago, racyrick said:

What training? I thought you did not have to go thru that on a 5 year renewal. Do you already have a 5 year drivers license?

The paper they gave me states  training appt , driving license
what they mean is  reaction and color test PLUS the video

NO pre testing ( viewing video elsewhere) now

I've had a Thai license in phuket since 1996

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

The paper they gave me states  training appt , driving license
what they mean is  reaction and color test PLUS the video

NO pre testing ( viewing video elsewhere) now

I've had a Thai license in phuket since 1996

So now you have to get an appointment to do the "Stamping on the brakes" test and colour blindness test?

So you don't get the new license for a couple of weeks - after the "training and video"?

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

So now you have to get an appointment to do the "Stamping on the brakes" test and colour blindness test?

So you don't get the new license for a couple of weeks - after the "training and video"?

in about 8:30, tests, video, picture taken

out by 11:30 with new license

I imagine the necessity of getting a apt is covid related to keep small numbers watching the video

Regardless my apt is after my license expires so i get another 6 years  ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

in about 8:30, tests, video, picture taken

out by 11:30 with new license

I imagine the necessity of getting a apt is covid related to keep small numbers watching the video

Regardless my apt is after my license expires so i get another 6 years  ????

I didn't think of covid being the reason, but makes sense. Just today I went to Bangkok Phuket hospital and drove up to the valet parking area and discovered they don't do it any more. Again, due to covid I guess.

My licenses are due for renewal next May (2022). Hopefully we'll all be vaccinated, virus and mask free by then.  ????

40 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I've never had to show a medical certificate for a license renewal. Is this now a new requirement?

Yes.   This was my third 5 year renewal, and never previously except for my initial 2 year licence.

• Like 1

In case this helps anyone, I know that in many cases at a clinic, a doctor isn't present for much of the time.   In my case I went to Dibuk hospital, who knew exactly what I wanted.   Within 5 minutes I saw a doctor, had some basic checks (BP, heart rate etc) and answered a few questions.

Cost, 400 baht.   200 for the exam, 200 for the certificate.   Easy.

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

In case this helps anyone, I know that in many cases at a clinic, a doctor isn't present for much of the time.   In my case I went to Dibuk hospital, who knew exactly what I wanted.   Within 5 minutes I saw a doctor, had some basic checks (BP, heart rate etc) and answered a few questions.

Blimey! Whatever happened to the 80 baht certificate?

15 hours ago, pagallim said:

400???? dam, i went to the local clinic, ( Dr Apinya) near immigration and transport office.

100 baht in an out in 5 minutes

• Like 2

FOR DL WITH THAI Yellow Book / Thai ID  Card ........

Recently after completing the “extensive” ( polite term ....’) Foreigner Yellow Book (House Reg.) & Thai ID Card processes, went straight to DLT to replace my 2 Year Thai Driving Licenses (passport / visa exemption - based/ car & mbike) with 5 Year DL’s ( Thai ID /Tabien Baan - based).

After presenting ONLY Thai ID & Yellow Book (and TWO mbike visits to the only open Copy Shop (by DLT restaurant aross the grounds past the test track !) they STILL insisted to see Passport & Imm COR !

Said my DL application is based solely upon Thai YB & ID. 

Said “no have” other docs.& not necessary..........

They INSISTED so, anticipating this, I produced and they accepted COPY requested docs.

They “ringed” the “ ED Visa” and 23 March date on Imm COR and said only 2 Year DL issued for ED Visa.

Thinking <deleted> !! YB / ID proposed as irrelevant & useless then for DL ........NOT !

After appeal with TWO Supervisors, DLT agreed Tabien Baan YB OR Thai ID entitled me to Five Year DL’s after all. At Last ! ANY Legal Foreigner,with only Visa Exemption, can get a b****y two year DL !

Yet my YB ID initially Denied because of my ED Visa status........

FULL credit to DLT to review/ amend original front desk decision......

As finally agreed ( “outcomed”) my Imm. status completey / correctly irrelevant with Thai YB- ID.....

Approved my DL Pkg with Later DL Test / Issue. Accepted that position as 5 YR DL the goal, (referencing Thai ID No . NOT Passport No. ! ) & with current DL’s not expiring for many months ........

Unexpected DLT Drama after a veritable “soap opera” getting YB / ID !

Deliberatly NOT identifying WHICH DLT Office  until I get my 5 Yr DL’s ...... believe you can guess........

900 for a certificate? 100 b, around the corner from Robinson's Phuket Town.

Went in for my March 15th date.

They opened at 8. Check the paperwork, again. Went to do the color blind test and the traffic light test.

Room 2 for the 1 hour boring, badly subtitled  Thai language video.

Went downstairs with the paperwork given by the cop in the video room. Double check your passport number, etc. Counter 4 for 505 baht, counter 7 for the photo. Out by about 10:45 because counter 4 lady is super super slow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, zzzzz said:

400???? dam, i went to the local clinic, ( Dr Apinya) near immigration and transport office.

100 baht in an out in 5 minutes

That is great news. Not because it's cheap, but because I knew Dr Apinya when she worked at Ruampaet hospital which used to be in the building opposite her clinic. Now it is a Honda bike shop.

My doctor was one of the directors - Dr. Mitr. After the hospital closed he started his own clinic on Ong Sim Phai road just to the east of the Robinson store. Dr. Apinya started her own clinic where it still stands today. I think I'll go pay her a visit just to say "Hello".

Dr Mitr died of cancer in 2013. He was my doctor for about 7 years. A lovely man, sorely missed.

There's an article about the hospital closing here: https://thethaiger.com/phuket-news/Ruampaet-hospital-close/

16 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

That is great news. Not because it's cheap, but because I knew Dr Apinya when she worked at Ruampaet hospital which used to be in the building opposite her clinic. Now it is a Honda bike shop.

My doctor was one of the directors - Dr. Mitr. After the hospital closed he started his own clinic on Ong Sim Phai road just to the east of the Robinson store. Dr. Apinya started her own clinic where it still stands today. I think I'll go pay her a visit just to say "Hello".

Dr Mitr died of cancer in 2013. He was my doctor for about 7 years. A lovely man, sorely missed.

There's an article about the hospital closing here: https://thethaiger.com/phuket-news/Ruampaet-hospital-close/

used that hospital all the time in the 80's-90's