Does the COVID ext. nullify your initial visa?

I'm on an ED visa, with 1 year of extensions based on studying. It's ending soon, so I'll be getting the COVID extension. I've been planning to start working for some months, but with borders closed, it isn't possible to leave the country and change to a B visa—although, it is possible to do "30-day extensions based on working," attached to an ED visa.

So:

- I'll be getting the COVID ext. before my ED visa runs out.

- From what I understand... whether on an ED or tourist visa, once you are on the COVID extension—although your initial ED/tourist visa has run out—the COVID extension is still "attached" to it.

(- I don't know if this changes anything, but the ED visa needs to be "cancelled" (letter by the school, presented to immigration).)

If my ED visa has run out, and I'm on the COVID ext., does this "nullify" the ED visa? Does this remove any chance of doing "30-day extensions based on working"?

There is no 30 day extension of stay based upon working. Not sure who gave you that false info. The standard extension based upon working is valid for one year.

Immigration does not cancel visas. After finishing at the school you extension of stay based upon attending school. That will need to be done on the same day you apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension.

If you were able to apply for a work permit with your non-ed visa entry it you could then apply for a extension based upon working.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The standard extension based upon working is valid for one year.

Isn't it tied to your work contract expiry? Certainly when I got my extension it was (is) only valid until the end of the work contract.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 30 day extension of stay based upon working. Not sure who gave you that false info. The standard extension based upon working is valid for one year.

Hi ubonjoe,

I'm a bit confused. I was told this by you. See post #2 in this thread:

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not cancel visas. After finishing at the school you extension of stay based upon attending school. That will need to be done on the same day you apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension.

Ah, so when I'll go get the COVID ext., I bring the letter given to me by my school, and then give it immigration—but the ED visa itself isn't cancelled at all? I've been told a number of times by my school and others who have done this that this is "cancelling the ED visa" (before leaving the country, changing visa type, etc.).

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you were able to apply for a work permit with your non-ed visa entry it you could then apply for a extension based upon working.

I would be applying for a job after my ED visa has ended, and also while I'm on the COVID extension. 

Basically, what I'm wondering is: with the ED visa ended, and while on the COVID extension, could I get a job (either with a B visa, or extensions based on working)?

I do not see anything about 30 day extensions for working in that topic.

Most is about the same as I wrote today.

You have to apply for a work permit before you apply for anything related to teaching or working at immigration.

You can get the 60 day covid extension that would extend your original non-ed visa entry that might allow you to apply for a extension based upon working or teaching if you can apply for a work permit.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get the 60 day covid extension that would extend your original non-ed visa entry that might allow you to apply for a extension based upon working or teaching if you can apply for a work permit.

Ah, so the COVID extension is essentially "attached" to the initial visa, and "extends" it. 

Even with a work permit approval letter, though, I'm guessing it's difficult to say if this would work, with COVID extensions being new.

49 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Ah, so the COVID extension is essentially "attached" to the initial visa, and "extends" it

It will be another extension of the permit to stay you got from the non-ed visa when you entered the country using it. Your visa expired long ago.

The covid 19 extensions are not all that new now. It equal to any other extension of your permit to stay in the country.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What if I want to continue attending a language school, but can't extend my ed visa because I have been in the country for one year?  I would like to get a covid extension.  Do I need to stop studying and cancel my current extension to get the covid extension?

3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Do I need to stop studying and cancel my current extension to get the covid extension?

You can keep studying for as long your extension of stay is still valid.

When it is near ending it would need to be canceled to apply for a 60 day covid extension.

Archived