Army's recruitment drive flops: Only 4,805 apply out of 10K target

webfact

You call almost 50% of the volunteer's goal a flop for the first attempt at something.  Wow.  If I had a goal of 1 million dollars to be donated and only raised 50% I would be happy with what I had and go for a second round.

• Confused 1

I read somewhere that over 100,000 of Thailand's Armed Forces are conscripts. Small wonder those in charge of conscription want it to continue as the number of volunteers would indicate they'd have a real problem maintaining the numbers should it be stopped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You call almost 50% of the volunteer's goal a flop for the first attempt at something.  Wow.  If I had a goal of 1 million dollars to be donated and only raised 50% I would be happy with what I had and go for a second round.

But it is not about money it is about soldiers that are needed. Yes it is a flop and like many other countries that are struggling to recruit soldiers in this modern world.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But it is not about money it is about soldiers that are needed. Yes it is a flop and like many other countries that are struggling to recruit soldiers in this modern world.

So then complete a second round of registrations and open up recruitment centers like in the west.  To say it went pear shaped is a little bit dramatic in my book.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

So then complete a second round of registrations and open up recruitment centers like in the west.  To say it went pear shaped is a little bit dramatic in my book.

Yes open it up again and make the target wider. You sound like your aplogising for it. As I said, many countries are having the same issue.

Not so many want to be humiliated, enjoying initiation rites?

Dog walking (knee slipping) naked hanging on to the private parts of your man in front?

They miss so much fun.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The army want compulsory conscription as they are sent many soldiers who would prefer to stay at home. That way those who want to stay at home can go home and the generals, other ranks above that get to keep that conscripts allowance.

Those who join up willingly are unlikely to accept going home.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes open it up again and make the target wider. You sound like your aplogising for it. As I said, many countries are having the same issue.

Not apologizing for it, just making a statement as to the hypocrisy that the drive flopped, when in all actuality it was semi successful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps if Thailand got rid of at least 75% of the generals, and turned themselves into a proper professional army, that would be just stage 1.

They would need to pay a good working salary, give  good skills training, give proper career paths and good promotion prospects, that would be stage 2.

Promotion based on skills and merit ONLY, got rid of all the useless dead wood cluttering up the army. That would be stage 3.

Keep politicians away from the army and the army away from politics would be stage 4.

ANY attempts at sedition or yet another military coup to be treated as treason, leading to execution of ALL the officers involved from the top down to perhaps the rank of captain, and enforce it would be stage 5. 

Sadly, in Thailand it would not get as far as stage 1. 

Good idea although I would add that politics needs cleaning up as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps if Thailand got rid of at least 75% of the generals, and turned themselves into a proper professional army, that would be just stage 1.

They would need to pay a good working salary, give  good skills training, give proper career paths and good promotion prospects, that would be stage 2.

Promotion based on skills and merit ONLY, got rid of all the useless dead wood cluttering up the army. That would be stage 3.

Keep politicians away from the army and the army away from politics would be stage 4.

ANY attempts at sedition or yet another military coup to be treated as treason, leading to execution of ALL the officers involved from the top down to perhaps the rank of captain, and enforce it would be stage 5. 

Sadly, in Thailand it would not get as far as stage 1. 

Stage 1, Solly  no untersand

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The online and registration at recruitment centers ran from the 1st to the 28th of February and meant that only 48% of the target had been reached.

What to do next will be discussed later this week. 

They could demote some of the useless generals?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Good idea although I would add that politics needs cleaning up as well.

That should be number 1 priority, get that properly sorted and the armed forces fiasco would follow? 

• Like 1

I remember some TV member recently asking if people though his son who has dual citizenship would manage to be exempt from the draft because he thought that 10K kids would volunteer due to the economic downturn.

Uh-Oh.  Guess not.  I recommended that his kid volunteer for the Air Force.  Better than being a IED or sniper target in the three southern-most Thai (Maylay) provinces. 

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not apologizing for it, just making a statement as to the hypocrisy that the drive flopped, when in all actuality it was semi successful.

I think we will have to disagree on the word successful being used. In business you would want at least 75% or more to class it as successful.

Even the UK are struggling.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/09/british-army-recruitment-shortfalls-may-be-symptoms-of-changing-times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

48% is a good showing for the first try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

young people are not too keen anymore killing each other for rich people. the information age changes everything. 

this planet has no need for soldier's preparing for war anymore. time to move past this caveman mentality. 

You make a very liberal point and as i get older I can see what you mean. But as an ex soldier there are still things that people believe in fighting for, instead of bending over and taking it.

This forums country would be one example as people just let the same trash happen again and again.

9 hours ago, mr mr said:

young people are not too keen anymore killing each other for rich people. the information age changes everything. 

this planet has no need for soldier's preparing for war anymore. time to move past this caveman mentality. 

Try telling that to Russia, China, N Korea, USA, UK, EU, Israel, Iran, Iraq, Syria and all the other rag tag and bobtail countries and see what response you get.

• Like 1