Camera violation ticket for running a red light

stargazer9999

It's about time that Thailand traffic police do something about all those bikers who pass through red lights.

I've seen many Thai people accelerate when the lights go yellow and even just turn red.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, orchis said:

from the OP, first sentence:
"I've recently received two 500 baht tickets with photographic evidence claiming I went through a red light."

Read my follow-up, had you, you would have observed I clarified the statement in its entirety.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You should not enter a junction until the exit is clear

Mmmmmm...good idea.

In most situations where there is traffic flow or civilised traffic behaviour... 

Unfortunately in Thailand driving as we would in the west and following the same rigid regulations and behaviour would see us failing to navigate through Bangkok with any success.

I’m quite sure we’d be reading of the outcome on this forum if we were to choose to wait on a green traffic light for the exit of the junction to become clear !!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In most situations where there is traffic flow or civilised traffic behaviour... 

Unfortunately in Thailand driving as we would in the west and following the same rigid regulations and behaviour would see us failing to navigate through Bangkok with any success.

I’m quite sure we’d be reading of the outcome on this forum if we were to choose to wait on a green traffic light for the exit of the junction to become clear !!!

Exactly, and all other traffic would go around us and fill the intersection up into a parking lot anyways.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

amber means stop in the UK, not wiggle through, maybe different in other countries, but normally expats follow the rules they have ben acustomed to in their home countries

It's quite possible that between reaction time and stopping distance, there is a small interval of roadway where you're hosed whether you stop or keep going.   You can't stop in time to avoid being in the intersection, and you can't get all the way through the intersection before the light turns red.

The length of the amber light is timed for normal speeds.  If the speed that day is slower than normal, or the amber light isn't programmed correctly, you may find yourself in a no-win situation.   Cops back home know which intersections are the easiest pickings and lots of red light tickets have been successfully disputed in our home countries on that basis. 

Thailand?  YMMV.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's about time that Thailand traffic police do something about all those bikers who pass through red lights.

I've seen many Thai people accelerate when the lights go yellow and even just turn red.

Thai people like freedom on the roads. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I respect your public  honesty but not the way you drive. Ever thought of slowing down?

I've only had about 5-10 tickets in 29 years.

I drive conservatively. 100 to 120kph max, and only on good divided roads, in good conditions. That is safe. It is all about the cameras now. And if they will insist on ticketing for over 90kph, I will insist on the avoidance of payment, for as long as I can get away with it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I drive conservatively. 100 to 120kph max, and only on good divided roads, in good conditions. That is safe. It is all about the cameras now. And if they will insist on ticketing for over 90kph, I will insist on the avoidance of payment, for as long as I can get away with it. 

That won't be long then unless your motorbike is not registered in your own name :). These are the automated ones, they won't forget those like a small local station does with paper ones. I've had 5 by now on my wife's home address, they never had so many police letters in their life lol.

I suspect those camera's suddenly go missing ones the tourists are back as it would bankrupt rental shops. Local police be just as happy.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The two speeding tickets were for the same offence - Speeding at 128kmh in the 120kmh expressway. 

Since when did they raise the limit to 120 kmh as I thought that hasn't occurred yet?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Don't know about the red light tickets, but I have received over 30 speeding tickets in the mail. Paid the first one. All the subsequent tickets have gone onto the bin. A couple of years now. Been to the DMV for renewal of car registration, purchase of a new motorbike, and drivers license renewal. No ramifications. Nothing. Pay at your own pleasure, but I do not and I will not. Not when the posted speed is 90kph. That is far too slow for a highway. They say that has all changed, but the old signs are still in place. 

May I ask, is the vehicle(s) you were driving registered in your name? I am pretty sure everything isn't linked together yet but as time goes on I'm guessing it will be. With this newly devised point system implemented a year or so ago I'm betting that means who doesn't pay will be surprised to find their license suspended or cannot be renewed.

If I remember correctly those fines unpaid will carry a larger point value thus getting you to the max allowable sooner.

Last year I received 7 in a 2 week span. Sadly the tickets were sent to my residence in Isaan so I wasn't aware until it was too late to find that every one was me being caught at a new camera they had setup on the Super Highway. Now I ensure I am going 90 kmh during that area.

NOTE: My vehicle is registered in Isaan under my wife's name so all points will be associated with her license. Heaven forbid I gain enough violations that her license become suspended as I do like my nutsak. 500 THB each. I pay all as it's a far cry from what a ticket will cost you in the USA.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

It's quite possible that between reaction time and stopping distance, there is a small interval of roadway where you're hosed whether you stop or keep going.   You can't stop in time to avoid being in the intersection, and you can't get all the way through the intersection before the light turns red.

The length of the amber light is timed for normal speeds.  If the speed that day is slower than normal, or the amber light isn't programmed correctly, you may find yourself in a no-win situation.   Cops back home know which intersections are the easiest pickings and lots of red light tickets have been successfully disputed in our home countries on that basis. 

Thailand?  YMMV.

in the UK the offence is ''not stopping at the white line when the red light shows'', any photo evidence would show the light on red and you crossing the white line, so as long as you cross the white line with the lights on amber or green you will not commit an offence.it will no doubt be different in Thailand

19 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

I've recently received two 500 baht tickets with photographic evidence claiming I went through a red light.

Not a problem just send them two photos of 500 baht each...Done deal ????

I never drive through red lights (on purpose) and really hate those who do especially when riding a bike. But I also got a fined once for driving through a red light which left me confused. After a closer look at the photo, my car was photographed while the light was indeed red, but I was already almost over the intersection in the photo. The white line on the road was also gone and there was some construction. So it seems I entered the intersection when the light was yellow. 

Anyways the fines all go to the bin.. those speeding tickets come regularly in the mail and never paid one. If someone feels morally obliged to pay, rather take your 500 baht and donate it to poor people. At least you know it will go to good use. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

in the UK the offence is ''not stopping at the white line when the red light shows'', any photo evidence would show the light on red and you crossing the white line, so as long as you cross the white line with the lights on amber or green you will not commit an offence.it will no doubt be different in Thailand

By law in Thailand if you have not yet passed the line you are supposed to stop on a yellow light.  In reality you will probably be rear ended...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

The underlying issue here is the devious practice of using highway safety laws as a means to raise revenue.

I first saw it as a child in the US during the early 1950s in the pre-Interstate days on Route 1 going to Floridia with my family.

The scam was pioneered by redneck cops in small towns in the deep south who would set up speed traps ticketing hapless drivers going a few miles over the limit.

In situations like that "The law is an ass."

Your Point being what?  Traffic safety is wrong?  Allow lawlessness that runs rampant in this country to continue on?  I think they need camera enforcement for the sidewalks that get used by motorbike riders, and moto wins/Taxi bikes. Even better, start with the wrong way riders.  On my run this morning I just watched as the traffic police let the motorcycle taxi boys ride wrong way to pick up fares.....amazing Thailand.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your Point being what?  Traffic safety is wrong?  Allow lawlessness that runs rampant in this country to continue on?  I think they need camera enforcement for the sidewalks that get used by motorbike riders, and moto wins/Taxi bikes. Even better, start with the wrong way riders.  On my run this morning I just watched as the traffic police let the motorcycle taxi boys ride wrong way to pick up fares.....amazing Thailand.

No, that's not my point at all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do they supply you with a photo as proof?  Could there have been gridlocked traffic and everyone in the intersection when the light turned red was pinched and sent a ticket?  Sounds a little suspicious to me if there is no proof or a photo sent with the ticket.

Yes, they send a picture of my license plate and not much more...

The intersection coming into town from Doi Saket at Festival..  you can enter green but then must cross 4 lanes of hwy, go over a bridge and then another few lanes that bottlenecks as you go into 2 lanes from 4... I have been caught like this many times and now mostly avoid this interesection or will simply pull to the curb if I am arriving late at a green signal afraid that it will turn yellow when I am halfway through... 

15 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

You can't have it both ways !

On this site - constant posts re bad driving, enforcement...

When they do enforce it you complain they are starting...

They have to start somewhere - hopefully a step in the right direction.

Pretty hard to argue against that, but, IMO, the issue is people want to see proactive traffic law enforcement, such as patrol cars pulling people up for infringements in real time, rather than them importing what is basically a revenue raising action from the west.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

The scam was pioneered by redneck cops in small towns in the deep south who would set up speed traps ticketing hapless drivers going a few miles over the limit.

I remember those days in the 1960s as well... driving through Georgia mostly where the hwy ended and you would go through small towns.. a few feet beyond the 50 mph sign was another that said 20 mph and if you hit the brakes you might get down to 35 mph... 

my last residence in USA was outside a college town, not far from a winding downhill section of hwy where they would drop the speed limit and catch all the college kids returning to school after vacation... and tkts were $150... a fine welcome back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Last year I received 7 in a 2 week span. Sadly the tickets were sent to my residence in Isaan so I wasn't aware until it was too late to find that every one was me being caught at a new camera they had setup on the Super Highway. Now I ensure I am going 90 kmh during that area.

Care to share which area? 10 years of driving here and I've amazingly yet to receive a ticket. I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

May I ask, is the vehicle(s) you were driving registered in your name? I am pretty sure everything isn't linked together yet but as time goes on I'm guessing it will be. With this newly devised point system implemented a year or so ago I'm betting that means who doesn't pay will be surprised to find their license suspended or cannot be renewed.

If I remember correctly those fines unpaid will carry a larger point value thus getting you to the max allowable sooner.

NOTE: My vehicle is registered in Isaan under my wife's name so all points will be associated with her license. Heaven forbid I gain enough violations that her license become suspended as I do like my nutsak. 500 THB each. I pay all as it's a far cry from what a ticket will cost you in the USA.

The car is in my wife's name. She has renewed her DL, and we sold the car since then, so all is good, and there IS NO central system, as of now. Let us hope it stays that way.

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do they supply you with a photo as proof?  Could there have been gridlocked traffic and everyone in the intersection when the light turned red was pinched and sent a ticket?  Sounds a little suspicious to me if there is no proof or a photo sent with the ticket.

From the original post

21 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

I've recently received two 500 baht tickets with photographic evidence

21 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

One picture looks like

I got one this week in Chiang Rai.

3 photos, first and second taken 2 seconds apart, third is a close up of the number plate.

In my photo my car had moved one meter in two seconds so clearly stopped at second photo. All 3 photos show brake lights illuminated.

Speaking as a retired magistrate, in the UK we also have 2 photos 2 seconds apart.  The first if you cross the line on a red light, the second to determine if you crossed the junction.

If you don’t cross the junction you haven’t committed an offence in the UK, evidently here in LOS you have.

I paid it and in the notes section wrote “Without Prejudice”, probably totally useless but it felt good. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1