Camera violation ticket for running a red light

stargazer9999

1 hour ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

His point was clearly stated in his first sentence.

This point "The underlying issue here is the devious practice of using highway safety laws as a means to raise revenue".  I find it to be a fallacy because If they truly used highway safety laws as designed and enforced them, then the coffers would be full daily, and they don't have to be devious in anyway as the Thai drivers and the motoring public ignore the laws daily.

Edited by ThailandRyan

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

I once got a fine and photo of my car doing a red light so i sent them back a photo of 500  baht note...

I suspect you've "stolen" that from an incident that actually happened in the US, but you haven't finished the anecdote.

After the motorist in question sent the photo of the money to the police, they sent back a photo of a pair of handcuffs - he then paid the fine.

Police send photo of handcuffs to motorist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

With this newly devised point system implemented a year or so ago I'm betting that means who doesn't pay will be surprised to find their license suspended or cannot be renewed.

They never activated this system. They shelved the 12 point system and have introduced a 100 point program, and this they say will be launched in April. The problem again lays in how can they realistically give the vehicle's real owner points if they were not driving. This is total malarkey, and if they are going to try this BS then they better have a traffic court we can go to. . I have a motorcycle and a truck registered in my name that my wife drives and my daughter rides. My wife has a motorcycle and 2 cars registered in her name. One we all drive which includes my son and the other only her and me. They need to have a face shot, but then they need to have all those way too dark window screens outlawed as well. Those are a danger in themselves being too dark.,

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

was me being caught at a new camera they had setup on the Super Highway

And where might his new camera be on the super highway? To date I know of only 1.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The problem again lays in how can they realistically give the vehicle's real owner points if they were not driving.

The same way it works in any other country; the registered owner gets the points unless the real driver owns up.

And my son just said that word is they will not activate the 100 point system next month. Everyone thinks it will fall to the ground having no legs. I hope so as well because until they can really put the real driver at fault it is only a shakedown.

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Not true in the USA. Not sure about other countries.

Think yourself lucky on that count then. It can be a pain in the proverbial on the one hand (stat dec from memory), but a "get out of jail" card on the other hand if a driver is about to lose her/his licence has a friend willing to take the fall and claim they where driving.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Think yourself lucky on that count then. It can be a pain in the proverbial on the one hand (stat dec from memory), but a "get out of jail" card on the other hand if a driver is about to lose her/his licence has a friend willing to take the fall and claim they where driving.

In the USA the camera for red lights take a picture of the license plate and the driver. The ticket is in fact sent to the registered owner, but the owner has the right to go to court to contest that it was not him/her in the photo and then it will be dropped. So the same thing here needs to apply. Biggest problem is the dangerous dark window screens the brainless Thais love to have, and then on a motorcycle would be the enclosed helmet covering the persons identity. But for motorcycle you could argue the body look is not the same. Anyway, this point system will flop and die out or not even get off the ground, but the cameras and the revenues made from them will continue.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The ticket is in fact sent to the registered owner, but the owner has the right to go to court to contest that it was not him/her in the photo and then it will be dropped.

That does surprise me I have to admit, just letting an offender off the hook like that.

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Anyway, this point system will flop and die out or not even get off the ground,

Fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

but the cameras and the revenues made from them will continue.

And that's what pisses me off. Vast majority of the reason for speed traps is revenue raising and very little about road safety IMO.

38 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

They never activated this system. They shelved the 12 point system and have introduced a 100 point program, and this they say will be launched in April. The problem again lays in how can they realistically give the vehicle's real owner points if they were not driving. This is total malarkey, and if they are going to try this BS then they better have a traffic court we can go to. . I have a motorcycle and a truck registered in my name that my wife drives and my daughter rides. My wife has a motorcycle and 2 cars registered in her name. One we all drive which includes my son and the other only her and me. They need to have a face shot, but then they need to have all those way too dark window screens outlawed as well. Those are a danger in themselves being too dark.,

And where might his new camera be on the super highway? To date I know of only 1.

It is setup between CM & Lamphun (closer to CM). It's pointed at traffic coming into CM and it's at ground level. It's just south of the PTT station that is located on the west side of the highway. I travel between CM & Lamphun nearly every day and recently (last couple of months) there has been police officers setup under an umbrella in the median with a camera. Seen them numerous times and my time varies but it's usually between 10am and noon. Difficult to see until it's too late due to all the flowers and bushes located in the median.

There's two cameras (one pointed in each direction) on the super highway just past the exit for the inner ring road. They are across in the median by the highway patrol office. Before those cameras were installed there was an officer almost every day hiding behind the pillar. (That was several years ago.) I guess they got lazy and installed the cameras. Here's a pic I have posted before.

So where is the single one you are referring to?

Speed camera 2.jpg

Speed camera 1 (1).jpg

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That does surprise me I have to admit, just letting an offender off the hook like that.

Fingers crossed.

And that's what pisses me off. Vast majority of the reason for speed traps is revenue raising and very little about road safety IMO.

I think tickets are not the way but a reconditioning of how Thai people think and are taught how to drive safely. In fact if a Thai person does a lame driving maneuver that results in accident and they do all of the time, then there is no repercussion of having points added as it is not an actual offense. Only bad driving habits. Every day I see people driving with their mobile phones weaving left to right. Not speeding but going slower than normal and a definite danger to the public, but  they will never get caught on camera. So it starts in conditioning here and that starts on how to teach the teachers teach the student drivers. The teachers should not be teaching. And then there are high schools that openly let the kids ride or drive to school. can't fix stupid. Police actually ignore students as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

It is setup between CM & Lamphun (closer to CM). It's pointed at traffic coming into CM and it's at ground level. It's just south of the PTT station that is located on the west side of the highway. I travel between CM & Lamphun nearly every day and recently (last couple of months) there has been police officers setup under an umbrella in the median with a camera. Seen them numerous times and my time varies but it's usually between 10am and noon. Difficult to see until it's too late due to all the flowers and bushes located in the median.

There's two cameras (one pointed in each direction) on the super highway just past the exit for the inner ring road. They are across in the median by the highway patrol office. Before those cameras were installed there was an officer almost every day hiding behind the pillar. (That was several years ago.) I guess they got lazy and installed the cameras. Here's a pic I have posted before.

So where is the single one you are referring to?

Speed camera 2.jpg

Speed camera 1 (1).jpg

The one I refer to is going south just past the Big C PTT station at 1317 that goes to airport. It is in the median on a pole about 4ft high and goes both directions. Same one I think you are talking about, and along time ago there used to be the man with he portable radar there. but hat was a long time ago now. I know well enough to go under 90 there. One reason also is to spare me the yack from my wife telling me to slow down.

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The one I refer to is going south just past the Big C PTT station at 1317 that goes to airport. It is in the median on a pole about 4ft high and goes both directions. Same one I think you are talking about, and along time ago there used to be the man with he portable radar there. but hat was a long time ago now. I know well enough to go under 90 there. One reason also is to spare me the yack from my wife telling me to slow down.

Yepper, that's the same place where I took this pic a few years back before the cameras were installed. Note, technically it's not a single camera now but two, one for each direction. So, you know of two....  ????

30 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yepper, that's the same place where I took this pic a few years back before the cameras were installed. Note, technically it's not a single camera now but two, one for each direction. So, you know of two....  ????

I have a suspicion there will be more coming. On the outer ring road they have radar signs but as of yet no actual radar.

Good. Pay more attention, and perhaps others will stop their complaining about Thai drivers doing the same.

Nice to know red light cameras are available and working. Now all that needs to be done is to ensure all motor vehicles have registration plates fitted.

I seriously considered taking them off my pick up, no one seems to care.

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2021 at 12:58 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Do they supply you with a photo as proof?  Could there have been gridlocked traffic and everyone in the intersection when the light turned red was pinched and sent a ticket?  Sounds a little suspicious to me if there is no proof or a photo sent with the ticket.

You get a photo of both front and rear in most cases and I too live CNX and have had tickets. They are pretty accurate so just pay up at the post office and grin and bare it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dingdongrb said:
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The two speeding tickets were for the same offence - Speeding at 128kmh in the 120kmh expressway. 

Expand  

Since when did they raise the limit to 120 kmh as I thought that hasn't occurred yet?

Its always been 120kmh..    (elevated express way  - where they have the illuminated 80kmh signs ! ???? )

About 10 years go, a friend was caught with a hand held camera on the upper level just past Bang Na... Snapped him at 133kmh - was fined for 13 kmh over the speed limit.

I think the announcement was for the highways connecting the cities.. (Could be wrong there). 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your Point being what?  Traffic safety is wrong?  Allow lawlessness that runs rampant in this country to continue on? 

I think the point was that some laws are used to catch honest motorists... while it is those in flagrant disregard for the laws who need targeting. 

This happened in the UK... The speed limits would move further and further out from the village limits, the limits would then change to 20mph... honest people getting caught out at 23mph entering the speed restriction 1km out from a village... ’twas an obvious money maker, meanwhile car thefts run rife and little is done - a speed camera is easy work !

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think they need camera enforcement for the sidewalks that get used by motorbike riders, and moto wins/Taxi bikes. Even better, start with the wrong way riders.  On my run this morning I just watched as the traffic police let the motorcycle taxi boys ride wrong way to pick up fares.....amazing Thailand.

Definitely - is is these issue which really need handling... no someone who sneaks over a white line changing lanes (when its clearly safe to do so and the marking are poorly located) or someone who sneaks over the 120kmh limit by 5 kmh or so.

A line does need to be drawn somewhere....  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Salerno said:

Pretty hard to argue against that, but, IMO, the issue is people want to see proactive traffic law enforcement, such as patrol cars pulling people up for infringements in real time, rather than them importing what is basically a revenue raising action from the west.

Exactly this !!!... 

The guy who gets enters a junction on green but gets caught out when the lights turn red due to traffic and receives a ticket for crossing on a red light has a right to feel aggrieved, when at the same time he was passed by 20 motorcyclists without a helmet, 30 other cars who’s drivers were not wearing a seatbelt and a handful of motorbikes riding down the pavement. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sncoem said:

never paid a ticket and will never. at the same time, I don't jump red lights...

Hmmmmmm......  I guess if you don't do any wrong and receive a ticket then you don't have to pay one..... makes sense.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its always been 120kmh..    (elevated express way  - where they have the illuminated 80kmh signs ! ???? )

About 10 years go, a friend was caught with a hand held camera on the upper level just past Bang Na... Snapped him at 133kmh - was fined for 13 kmh over the speed limit.

I think the announcement was for the highways connecting the cities.. (Could be wrong there). 

Again, someone please point out where (In the CM area) there is an allowable 120 kmh area.

• Haha 1

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before, but has anyone noticed that some folks 'white out' the black numbers/letters on their license plates? 

I know in the USA (most places I am familiar with) requires that the license plate needs to be clearly visible. It used to be that reflector covers were being sold so that when the camera goes off the reflector cover impedes the ability of the camera to provide a clear picture of the license plate.

• Haha 1

I had a red light ticket  on road 108  at Big C Intersection.   Photo were quite good. 4 photos. One while light green away from intersection. One when light turned amber and one when light turned red.  I could see I had time to stop.   The fourth photo was the plate number.   

In my case I remembered the day .

Paid at the Krung Thai bank. 

Interesting use of language 'wiggle room'..................has pretty much summed up one's approach/take on laws in Thailand IMO for decades. Easily becomes a way of life for frustrated Westerners previously used to stricter laws, fines and absolutely 'no wiggle room'................Chiang Mai, my favourite Thai city.........will cameras at junctions and other Western adopted 21st Century laws and stricter regulations stop me from enjoying 'the Land of Smiles'....?  Absolutely not, far too many other factors/benefits outweighing the alternatives.......shame though, because I could do without them, but if it's just a fine, and no real consequences, no problem, I'll 'just pay'...............Thank goodness for Thailand..................

19 hours ago, dingdongrb said:
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again, someone please point out where (In the CM area) there is an allowable 120 kmh area.

‘come on... follow the thread...  

I’d pointed out that my Wife had received two separate tickets for exactly the same time, same day, same speed (128kmh), two different photos...  speeding in a 120kmh limit on an Expressway in Bangkok. 

The point was highlighting the accuracy of the two separate cameras which recorded the same speed, but also a duplicitous second ticket which highlights the system has its flaws. 

• Haha 1