Thai Airways says will cut workforce by half

webfact

22 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And Thai will still be a top heavy Airline even after the job cuts.

It will be  more important to keep Supervisors and Managers than the Grease Monkeys and Ground crew.

With too many ex-military in the top echelons the standard of too many generals and not enough Indians will prevail. Will there be enough money in the pot to service the pensions and severances?

Retired after 40 years in the Airline industry in 11 Countries.

Look back at the National Asia Airlines, National European Airlines, the America’s Airlines, as well as others.  This situation is something all the others dealt with a long time ago.

Most everything this National airline is planning on doing, should have been done more than Ten years ago.

I seriously doubt this planned restructuring will make a difference.  It is a simple plaster compared to a required amputation.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

Thai Airways plans also plans to reduce its fleet size to 86 aircraft by 2025 and halve the number of different aircraft and engines types to lower costs.

Any older aircraft they own will be of low value with some only going to the breaker's .. aircraft on lease contracts will not be easily re-negotiated favourably either .. 

If T A were a horse he'd be off to the glue factory by now .. 

There are perhaps 45 people in the world who would as Chief Executive with a free hand have the ability to turn Thai Airways around.. Sadly, none have been employed & will not be as 

the Company & Government  still insist on "hiding  things"

Getting rid of staff that have been "dead for 8 years is still ongoing

1 hour ago, Jblowe said:

Retired after 40 years in the Airline industry in 11 Countries.

Look back at the National Asia Airlines, National European Airlines, the America’s Airlines, as well as others.  This situation is something all the others dealt with a long time ago.

Most everything this National airline is planning on doing, should have been done more than Ten years ago.

I seriously doubt this planned restructuring will make a difference.  It is a simple plaster compared to a required amputation.

Problem is I haven't yet seen 'restructuring'

Cutting a few people, putting aircraft up for sale, which will in all likelihood never sell isn't restructuring.

I work for Delta and I've seen airlines emerge from Chapter 11 totally different entities from those which went bankrupt.

TG needs to decide what it wants to be. It's never going to compete with Emirates, or SQ in the Asia transit market, and it's proven itself unable to compete in the Asia-Europe market.

So where does it fit?

Thai Smile isn't a real LCC, and try unravelling the figures, it's impossible since they are always presented in a consolidated Thai International balance sheet.

So what are they? Full service legacy airline, a LCC domestic airline or some mid level airline like Jet Blue in the US?

If you were restructuring an airline these are the real questions you would be asking and addressing, rather than announcing with great fanfare laying off half your staff

• Thanks 1

Most airlines that keep getting the government support do not try to be very efficient, and Thai Air is no different.

The Thai government needs to just say no more money, and things would have to change. If this does not happen

I do not expect to see any real improvements.

Geezer

• Like 1