Phonetic alphabet

tgeezer

I was creating an aid memoir for the registration number of my car.  .กถ.... asking about กระถอบ กระถิน and was told that it was ไก่ ถึง.  The Thai who told me said that he used to say ก ไก่ ถ ถึง until he heard the receptionist at the service center use only the words.  A simple thing but there may be some people like me who hadn't realised that this feature of Thai gives it an advantage over English where people who have not been taught an official phonetic alphabet, seem to make up their own.  

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

I was creating an aid memoir for the registration number of my car.  .กถ.... asking about กระถอบ กระถิน and was told that it was ไก่ ถึง.  The Thai who told me said that he used to say ก ไก่ ถ ถึง until he heard the receptionist at the service center use only the words.  A simple thing but there may be some people like me who hadn't realised that this feature of Thai gives it an advantage over English where people who have not been taught an official phonetic alphabet, seem to make up their own.  

Sorry for nitpicking, but shouldn't it be ถุง?

11 minutes ago, Deserted said:

I'm not so sure, ask a Thai person how to write a shwa and see how many different variations you get. 

A Thai asked to say shwa would probably use English. However I think that you are right when it comes to spelling, กไก่ ไม้หันอากาศ น หนู but the point is that nobody is going to say ก ก้น once they leave primary school I think.  Also abbreviations, by definition don't need a phonetic alphabet but for unrelated letters like reg. plates I like it. 

30 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Sorry for nitpicking, but shouldn't it be ถุง?

Be nit picking by all means! I wish that I could remember the difference between รถบันทึก and รถบรรทุก also ! . 

Edited by tgeezer
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Be nit picking by all means! I wish that I could remember the difference between รถบันทึก and รถบรรทุก also ! . 

If you don't mind me asking, I'm somewhat puzzled that you seem to have trouble differentiating between    ึ and   ุ as they have very different pronunciations.

Could it be because English doesn't have the    ึ sound and Danish (my native language) does, making it easy for me?

35 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

If you don't mind me asking, I'm somewhat puzzled that you seem to have trouble differentiating between    ึ and   ุ as they have very different pronunciations.

Could it be because English doesn't have the    ึ sound and Danish (my native language) does, making it easy for me?

Yes I think that is the reason. 
 While considering my post afterwards it occurred to me that I should have used ถ because the initial mistake was ถึง instead of ถุง then, my goodness, ถึก ถุก wrong tone too! I hurried back to my iPad and was in the process of editing and owning up when I decided to look in the dictionary. 
In case I have confused everybody and to remind myself; รถบรรทุก is the noun  บันทึก is the verb.   

• Like 1