Ashes to the UK

Gandtee

When my mother died here in Thailand  twenty years ago a friend carried her ashes back to England to be scattered  where my father's ashes were scattered.. Even if this is still legal, the covid restrictions on travel make this a whole new ball game. Have any posters sent ashes back to the UK and what was the procedure?

This may not be too helpful, but I do recall a case some years back, of a son who wanted his fathers ashes transported back to UK.  He appointed a forwarding company  agent (there's always an agent) in Bangkok who arranged the transport through a courier service. I suggest that you contact such a forwarding agent to act for you as they will also sort out the health certificate and customs declaration forms. . It must be happening regardless of Covid as the need still exists. As I say, probably not too helpful? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

When my mother died here in Thailand  twenty years ago a friend carried her ashes back to England to be scattered  where my father's ashes were scattered.. Even if this is still legal, the covid restrictions on travel make this a whole new ball game. Have any posters sent ashes back to the UK and what was the procedure?

It can be done, contact the UK Embassy for assistance, I reckon it would be a weekly thing for them to advise on the procedure, or the funeral director should know.

I carried my partner to UK in my hand luggage through customs with a letter from Funeral Director and sworn affidavit, in the original container from the crematorium. Container sealed by crem, and labelled across the opening.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Not difficult. There is an Internationally approved form needs filling out & in Thailand an extra cost for the bones to be properly prepared as normally they are not crushed here 

We did the big bones in an ocean burial done by the navy. It was fantastic. Only got the ashes left. But yes. I was stunned to see the big bones.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the post office.  If you have the consular report of death, that's all they need to ship.  Easy.

We did a ceremony at sea where we dropped the big bones.  What's left will fit in a funeral urn.  We got it off Lazada.  Metal as I don't want to worry about the ceramic ones breaking.

• Like 1